Greta Van Fleet (formerly 'some kids that sound like Led Zeppelin') (1 Viewer)

Greta Van Fleet. This isn't a cover. They say they're not trying to sound like Zep. Yeah right. (Turn it up).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VCSayVA_3Cc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is great. I just check out a couple of vids of them on YouTube, these guys rock! :9:

As with any other new & good band that comes on the music scene, most people can't help but to think about who they compare to in sound and style. When a group can rightly be compared to one of the most incredible sounds in rock history, they can find the road very challenging because the comparing never stops.

Some purists believe that musical art means never 'imitating' the blasts of the past. But personally I know the sound(s) that I like, and it doesn't matter to me who makes those sounds or when they come on the scene. I will be drawn to that sound just as I did the very first time I heard Led Zeppelin's first album.

From what I hear in these kids, they could make a good living even if they turned themselves into a Zep tribute band. But hopefully they won't be ignored for making songs that sound a lot like the mighty LZ.

If it sounds like real classic rock... I'm listening! :9:

As with any other new & good band that comes on the music scene, most people can't help but to think about who they compare to in sound and style. When a group can rightly be compared to one of the most incredible sounds in rock history, they can find the road very challenging because the comparing never stops.

Some purists believe that musical art means never 'imitating' the blasts of the past. But personally I know the sound(s) that I like, and it doesn't matter to me who makes those sounds or when they come on the scene. I will be drawn to that sound just as I did the very first time I heard Led Zeppelin's first album.

From what I hear in these kids, they could make a good living even if they turned themselves into a Zep tribute band. But hopefully they won't be ignored for making songs that sound a lot like the mighty LZ.

If it sounds like real classic rock... I'm listening! :9:

I think that time matters. When it's the early-70s and bands like Heart being compared to Led Zeppelin, it's part of a wave of those imitating what is basically a "new" sound. In the 80s and 90s, Zeppelin is still so fresh in the memory, that its various forms of copying a sound. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but derivatives are never as interesting as the novel.

But we're now almost 50 years from the release of Led Zeppelin. Is it gimmick or is it homage? Either way, like you said, if it sounds good - if they pull it off - then it's enjoyable IMO.

This band may claim that they aren't trying to emulate Zeppelin, but what I see gives the impression that they practiced for years to pull off a lot of LZ's moves and sound. Yet they do it so naturally and effortlessly. And the singer has the perfect combination of bluesy whine and raw power in his vocal skills to pull off an authentic Plant sound, even though his choreography is a bit 'stiffer'.

I have tried for years to imitate that vocal range and skill set. I guess it would help if I was 20 once again. :scratch:
Is it okay if I silently hate this kid for his mad vocals? :hihi:

Meh.. have heard better HS bands than them.
What's special? That they sound like LZ?

But we're now almost 50 years from the release of Led Zeppelin. Is it gimmick or is it homage? Either way, like you said, if it sounds good - if they pull it off - then it's enjoyable IMO.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if the sound comes off as 'innovative' to today's generation of kids who think that much of what's playing today is real music. Good bands like this one could start a revival that might make 'new' music enjoyable to listen to. Right now all I can deal with is classic rock radio stations.
:harar:

I was skeptical of the title claim, but it's a close sound for sure.

Meh.. have heard better HS bands than them.

What's special? That they sound like LZ?

But they don't. The clip I linked to was Zeppelin when Plant and Bonham were 20/21 years old. Page and Jones were what 23? Not much of an age difference.

As a Zeppelin fan, it gets old to see the "oh they sound just like Zeppelin". Here's some advice. Be yourself. These kids have spent a great amount of time copying a great group. But, that is all it is. They all seem talented, but they need to work it to their own sound. That combo was a one of a kind. How many Page's are there? There is only 1 other person who can drum as good as, or better than in the style of John Bonham and that's his son Jason who in my opinion is better than his dad.

These guys need to listen to Dave Grohl on how to form and develop a band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, was this at a freaking talent show or something? Why is everyone in the crowd sitting?

I suspect it is at a "showcase" - music events where new bands are trotted out for short sets. So it isn't any one band's show that their fans are there for, it's often for music biz folks and their invites.

it gets old to see the "oh they sound just like Zeppelin".
Just for the record, I didn't say they sound just like, merely stated sound like, as in it has a ring to it.

I don't know about them being "talented". They play and sound like a decent HS band, but that's it.

As for your last statements about Page and Bonham, I'll just let it go because you are blinded by your LZ colored glasses :hihi:

Led Zeppelin? That band that stole the intro of Stairway to Heaven from another band??

Attachments

• low-q bait.png
    low-q bait.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 63
Just for the record, I didn't say they sound just like, merely stated sound like, as in it has a ring to it.

I don't know about them being "talented". They play and sound like a decent HS band, but that's it.

As for your last statements about Page and Bonham, I'll just let it go because you are blinded by your LZ colored glasses :hihi:

But they don't. The clip I linked to was Zeppelin when Plant and Bonham were 20/21 years old. Page and Jones were what 23? Not much of an age difference.

As a Zeppelin fan, it gets old to see the "oh they sound just like Zeppelin". Here's some advice. Be yourself. These kids have spent a great amount of time copying a great group. But, that is all it is. They all seem talented, but they need to work it to their own sound. That combo was a one of a kind. How many Page's are there? There is only 1 other person who can drum as good as, or better than in the style of John Bonham and that's his son Jason who in my opinion is better than his dad.

These guys need to listen to Dave Grohl on how to form and develop a band

Y'all damn well know there were guys that were your age now in 1967-1970 that expressed similar sentiment about Zep: "They are bowlderizing the sound of the Delta Blues legends...so little craftsmanship and no subtlety...too much vamping and preening by the singer...etc. etc." :hihi:

Imagine if the concept of cultural appropriation was well-recognized back then!

These guys are pretty talented and the singer has pipes for sure. I don't have an issue with imitations or pastiche in music because its what leads to discovery of old classics. What hasn't been done in rock and roll by this point?

As an average white teenager, I did not come to Zeppelin through the Delta Blues, but rather came to Delta Blues through Zeppelin. What seems like stealing or copying or mimicry in the moment can later take on significance as a path to the source material for new listeners, especially with the streaming economy we have now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom