Greta Van Fleet (formerly 'some kids that sound like Led Zeppelin') (1 Viewer)

There's worse things a group of kids could be doing to try and make it big. I say more power to them. When was zepplins or rush's last album again? When are their next albums coming out?

Well, Rush’s drummer passed away a little over a year ago (glioblastoma). And, Zeppelin’s drummer passed away decades ago (apparent substance abuse). I think I rememberZeppelin using Bonham’s son, Jason, here and there and then he went on to form some “Led Zeppelin Experience” project band. Was never a fan of the original Zeppelin, so I didn’t bother to dig further.
Could be worse I suppose. GVF could be trying to emulate the Beatles or the Stones...

It’s weird to think about the arts that people want to preserve in amber and those that need to be dripping in fresh paint
- rock/rap has precious few cover bands, but jazz is like 85% 'other people's works' and orchestra audiences seem allergic to new work of any kind

ballet is 95% 'classics' whereas in Modern is was almost hacky if you restaged your own work too much (and there's certainly hardly any Rep company doing other Modern pieces - that's usually only done by university dance departments)

if you want to get anyone to come see theatre, better make sure you are staging a play that's been done 100s/1000s of times before
Thank you.. There is no difference in the words borrowing, copying, inspiring, emulating, etc. "Borrowing" is just a nice way of saying that the were "copying."
GVF isn't doing anything different than a thousand other bands did who came before them (including Janice, Zepp, and the Stones).
I'm not saying that GVF is as good or equal to Janice, Zepp, or the Stones. In fact I only like one of their songs, "Flower Power", b/c it reminds me of Zepps "You're time is gonna come."

Even Robert Plant admits that Zepp wasn't what he considered Rock n Roll.
People act like Zepp is the root of Rock n roll. I'm not saying they weren't a great band and didn't influence the direction of Rock. But to act like they were the originators of Rock is a false assumption.

Last edited:
Well, Rush’s drummer passed away a little over a year ago (glioblastoma). And, Zeppelin’s drummer passed away decades ago (apparent substance abuse). I think I rememberZeppelin using Bonham’s son, Jason, here and there and then he went on to form some “Led Zeppelin Experience” project band. Was never a fan of the original Zeppelin, so I didn’t bother to dig further.
Could be worse I suppose. GVF could be trying to emulate the Beatles or the Stones...
Kind of my point....if you're waiting on their next albums you may want to grab a chair.

Oasis=Beatles.
The Black Crowes=Rod Stewart and The Rolling Stones.
Using some people's logic, both Oasis & The Black Crowrs are crap bands.
If I want to listen to The Beatles or The Stones I'll just listen to the Beatles or the Stones. While we're at it, I shouldnt listen to Whitesnake, Kingdom come, Lenny Kravits, John Mellencamp, Pearl Jam etc, etc....All of these bands copied Zeppelin, the Stones, or Jimi Hendrix to some degree.
This whole GVF argument reminds me of a friend of mine back in the early 90s. He compared every band to Led Zeppelin. He had no use for Metallica, and grunge bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc, etc. He scoffed at all of the bands that made up the grunge movement. But, as time went on, he came around to start seeing that some of these grunge bands had some great musicians too.

I think it’s ironic that people have hang ups about GVF because they sound like Zeppelin. Do people not realize that Led Zeppelin was copying American blues musicians when they first started out? Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have admitted that they “borrowed“ from early American blues singers and guitar players.

Folks: Led Zeppelin is not the root of rock n roll. Everybody borrows from every one else. That’s been going on since the beginning of time.
  • Borrowing music, lyrics, and songs from acoustic, Mississippi Delta blues musicians would be one acceptable term in how Zeppelin co-opted their style into their own unique sound, and legacy. There are other terms like plagiarism, and stealing and forgetting/neglecting to credit many of these same Delta musicians for using their songs. I mean, how many times were Zep taken to court during the band's existence during the 1970's and up to the present day for copyright infringements, or failing to credit musicians for covering or using part of their lyrics, or music in their own songs, especially when it came time to issuing the band's box sets?
These issues can't be ignored or overlooked as mesmerizing, powerful, visually and musically dynamic Led Zeppelin were for 12 years as one of the most influential, most successful rock bands in the 1970's and how they(along moreso with Black Sabbath) helped popularize and create this rock sub genre we now call heavy metal. How many times has Pink Floyd or the Who ever been accused or taken to court for supposedly stealing, plagiarizing other rock bands melodies, basic and major chords, choruses, or recording Willie Dixon, or Bo Diddley's old songs without giving them a writer's credit on the album sleeves or being sued and forced to issue them credits on later pressings of the album?

The only rock band Pete Townsend has admitted he may have subconsciously been influenced by in terms of writing songs, or creating an edgier, aggressive sound were the Kinks. Ray and Dave Davies have even gone on record multiple times saying they believed or have long suspected Townsend's inspiration for writing Tommy was that the Kinks were writing a rock opera, Arthur and the Decline and Fall of the British Empire, around the same time.

• Borrowing music, lyrics, and songs from acoustic, Mississippi Delta blues musicians would be one acceptable term in how Zeppelin co-opted their style into their own unique sound, and legacy. There are other terms like plagiarism, and stealing and forgetting/neglecting to credit many of these same Delta musicians for using their songs. I mean, how many times were Zep taken to court during the band's existence during the 1970's and up to the present day for copyright infringements, or failing to credit musicians for covering or using part of their lyrics, or music in their own songs, especially when it came time to issuing the band's box sets?
These issues can't be ignored or overlooked as mesmerizing, powerful, visually and musically dynamic Led Zeppelin were for 12 years as one of the most influential, most successful rock bands in the 1970's and how they(along moreso with Black Sabbath) helped popularize and create this rock sub genre we now call heavy metal. How many times has Pink Floyd or the Who ever been accused or taken to court for supposedly stealing, plagiarizing other rock bands melodies, basic and major chords, choruses, or recording Willie Dixon, or Bo Diddley's old songs without giving them a writer's credit on the album sleeves or being sued and forced to issue them credits on later pressings of the album?

The only rock band Pete Townsend has admitted he may have subconsciously been influenced by in terms of writing songs, or creating an edgier, aggressive sound were the Kinks. Ray and Dave Davies have even gone on record multiple times saying they believed or have long suspected Townsend's inspiration for writing Tommy was that the Kinks were writing a rock opera, Arthur and the Decline and Fall of the British Empire, around the same time.
Excellent post! Very well said.

Wow I don’t know where I was at the beginning of this thread but that is probably the best R Plant emulation I have ever heard.

the open of the second song posted “highway” sounds just like Plant through parts of While Lotta Love.

that is pretty high praise considering his legend. But high road was the only way to go. You seem petty otherwise and it is a high form of flattery.

I agree that the music is different. What would be the chances of ever having a sound like plant and a creative beast like Page again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom