Gretna Traffic Enforcement (1 Viewer)

wbbigtymer

Whodie I'm a Saints fan
Reaction score
They got me. Twice. In a row. This isn't the first time I've been caught by them, but this time it was evidently one of those mobile drone things that they hide on the side of a rode that doesn't normally have a speed trap and leave it for a couple days while they profit and then move it along to another place.

So here's my question. Can they really get you for speeding at the exact same spot multiple times without any notification in between? If a cop pulls you over and writes you a ticket (or in many cases, just lets you off with a warning), you're not going to do the exact same thing the very next day. But in my case I get notifications in the mail from offenses that literally happened within 24 hours of each other, but both notifications came several days after the fact. They want $210 for each, totally $420.

Is there any way I can get this reduced so that I only have to pay one fine? All philosophical issues about unmanned traffic enforcement aside (which I do hold strongly is a generally bad thing), this is a particularly sinister trick. It's one thing to trap people who aren't expecting it and don't find out until days later, but it's another thing to do it multiple times before they find out about it and then multiply the fines for each offense. Seriously?

Any advice on how to fight this/appeal it would be appreciated. If I appear in court, will I run the risk of having this show up on my record if I lose? I think if I were to just pay it right now, the upside would be that this doesn't go on my record...I don't think...

Does Louisiana have any kind of driving probation? That might be your best bet at this point.

I hate those speed cameras. Got popped for one once. I'd much rather be face-to-face with somebody giving me a ticket than have to deal with a machine trap, at least I know at that very moment that my tax dollars are being lifted from me.

And consequently, I no longer do any business in Gretna and Westwego when possible. Won't be seeing my dollars again anywhere until their camera programs are gone. (My exception has been Mo's Pizza - I can't resist a Mo's)

They got me too. At least the ones in Orleans don't move and you know where they are. The one I got on the Westbank was on the expressway service road for going 4 mph over the limit. Not paying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV0yogwhizI

I hate the speed cameras. There is something we the people can do. We can push for a constitutional amendment (state level) banning the use of the traffic enforcement cameras. In Ohio they are looking to ban them statewide. http://www.marionstar.com/article/2.../Ohio-bill-aims-ban-traffic-cameras-statewide. You have to push your local representatives and get loud and angry about this issue. We the people need to be united and let our state representatives know we will not accept these unfair tax schemes.

I was in Phoenix one time driving on the freeway and they had one of these setup in the left lane of a 5 lane interstate. It flashed like a strobe light. If you are in the left lane you get a ticket for driving the flow of traffic but you can also get a ticket for doing basically the speed limit (63 in 65)

Actually the key to solving it would be found in an enforced national law like the Texas or Missouri laws that require cities/towns/counties(parishes) to turn over all revenue past a certain percentage of their total tax base. If they are enforcing for public safety, great, they can pass the extra revenue on the line, since they weren't in it for the cash. Most dries up once they can't keep the ill gotten gains.

They got me too. At least the ones in Orleans don't move and you know where they are. The one I got on the Westbank was on the expressway service road for going 4 mph over the limit. Not paying it.

I got one on the Westbank Expressway service road a year and half ago on Black Friday at 3 am. I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving and my wife wanted to go shopping at Oakwood. I never paid it. They still send me a bill every few months. I see City of Gretna and it goes straight in the trash. :hihi:

7radar-detector.jpg

Something like this will solve your problems. These mobile enforcement things still use radar, and this will let you know where they are.

I've lived in Brazil before, and they have these things everywhere, but the law requires a sign saying "ELECTRONIC SPEED ENFORCEMENT - 100 M AHEAD." It would be nice if we had some kind of rule like that too.

its $140.

I got one too on Belle Chasse Hwy on Jan 30th. returning from visiting client. Didnt realize i was doing 53 in a 45mph zone. Not terribly over the limit, but enough to get me a $140 ticket.

I didnt fight it. No use.

What are the implications of not paying it? Does it matter if you don't live in Gretna (or even LA)?

The placement on Belle Chasse Hwy is always in a 35 mph zone. As soon as you enter incorperated gretna it drops from 45 to 35 mph. The only place they set it on belle chasse hwy is by Mel Ott park.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

7radar-detector.jpg

Something like this will solve your problems. These mobile enforcement things still use radar, and this will let you know where they are.

I've lived in Brazil before, and they have these things everywhere, but the law requires a sign saying "ELECTRONIC SPEED ENFORCEMENT - 100 M AHEAD." It would be nice if we had some kind of rule like that too.

Those things are illegal here in VA. :rant:

I've gotten a couple of these over the years. One I forgot about in Maryland and never paid. Never heard from them again.

I'm just tempted to not pay them. But I would hate to take a hit on my credit record.

What are the implications of not paying it? Does it matter if you don't live in Gretna (or even LA)?

The same implications as not paying a bill to any business.
They may ding your credit.
But legally they can't drag you off to jail or even take your license.

They are simply no enforceable.

I got one 3 years ago. I refused to pay it. They still send me a bill now and than but it has't shown up on my credit report yet even.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom