Growing Creole Tomatoes (1 Viewer)

Update.. of all the tomato plantsw that I have.. AR traveler, celbrities, better boys etc... this friggin creole is by far the best one... Already producing good size tomtoes while the others are still just srouting blooms.

Joe

whos growing em this year (any kind)? Who is buying them and where are you getting good ones? I have a few creole plants and already have a few green guys sitting. I won't have enough though and will need to supplement to have enough for my crack like BLT habit. I got some decent ones from the guy that sits next to the Harahan police station last weekend that were started early in a hot house.

whos growing em this year (any kind)? Who is buying them and where are you getting good ones? I have a few creole plants and already have a few green guys sitting. I won't have enough though and will need to supplement to have enough for my crack like BLT habit. I got some decent ones from the guy that sits next to the Harahan police station last weekend that were started early in a hot house.

I just finished up planting a couple of hours ago - been working the past week and a half on it.

We went to a half dozen markets up here this morning trying to find someone who knew what I was talking about when I said "creole tomatoes" but couldn't come up with anything close.

Anyone here have recommendations that are decent approximations?

This year, tomato-wise, we've got Romas, Celebrities, Early Girls, and Better Boys.

And we were given a hanging tomato basket from the Mennonites but when I asked what type they were... "red." It's a mystery, I guess.

If you are looking for another bacon option, see if you can find peameal or back bacon (it's part tenderloin and part fatback). If you go through a lot of BLTs, I'd recommend working this cut into the mix from time to time.

If you are looking for another bacon option, see if you can find peameal or back bacon (it's part tenderloin and part fatback). If you go through a lot of BLTs, I'd recommend working this cut into the mix from time to time.

that is interesting and I will definitely look into it (hard to imagine how it could be anything but delicious). What is the temp like up there now?

I've got celebrity, park's whopper, health kick, and purple Cherokee. Picked about 30 in the last 4 days. Started everything from seed back on Jan 2 or 3rd. Plants are about 4 1/2 ft tall and production is about to hit wide open this coming week.

I grow better boys and celebrities.

I rotate the crop yearly so i don't use the same soil. I bury the plant real deep to establish a better root system. I fertlize with chicken poop.
Water about every 3 days.

We went to a half dozen markets up here this morning trying to find someone who knew what I was talking about when I said "creole tomatoes" but couldn't come up with anything close.

Anyone here have recommendations that are decent approximations?

Lifted from another forum, here is a response from Dan Gill (LSU Ag Center) with regards to the creole tomato question:

Lycopersicon esculentum is the Latin name that is applied to all tomatoes (it's literal translation is "edible wolf peach"). Every tomato of every type grown around the world belongs to this genus and species and shares this Latin name.

Within this species are various types of tomatoes that are simply genetic variations, including vining types, bush types, small fruited types (grape and cherry tomatoes), meaty types (paste), medium fruited types, large fruited types and many different colors, including red, pink, yellow, "white," green, "black," and stripped. We generally make groups out of these genetic variations, such as cherry tomatoes, paste tomatoes, slicing tomatoes, etc.

Within the groups, there are different varieties (or more properly, cultivars). So, within the cherry tomatoes examples of cultivars would be 'Cherry Grande' (one of my favorites), 'Sweet Million' and 'Cupid'. Among the bush types would be 'Celebrity', 'Mountain Pride' and 'Florida 47'. See how it works. They are all Lycopersicon esculentum.

Now, getting to the Creole tomato. We use this name two ways. The incorrect way is to say that Creole is a particular cultivar of tomato. In other words, you would go out and plant 'Creole' transplants or seeds to grow Creole tomatoes - and this is the only way to produce Creole tomatoes. In fact, 'Creole' is the name of a tomato cultivar released from LSU breeding efforts back around the middle of the 20th Century. Over time it was superseded by new, more disease resistant, and more productive cultivars. As far as LSU is concerned, this cultivar no longer exists. Although you may see 'Creole' tomato transplants available at the nursery, we really don't know where the growers are getting the Creole tomato seeds and or what these tomatoes actually are. LSU has not produced certified 'Creole' tomato seeds for decades.

The way Creole is used properly these days is for marketing purposes. Local tomato growers can call their tomatoes "Creole" because they were locally grown in the warm climate and fertile river soils of the area , and because they are grown close to the local market they can be allowed to vine ripen. All of this contributes to a very flavorful tomato. It doesn't matter what cultivar they use. None of them use the old fashioned 'Creole' cultivar. They just have to plant cultivars that will produce red, medium to large tomatoes grow them locally. The same thing holds for the home gardener. Unfortunately, many of home gardeners still think they need to plant the 'Creole' cultivar to grow Creole tomatoes. But this is simply not the case.
Dan Gill
LSU AgCenter
Consumer Horticulturist

More

Basically, if it is grown here and it looks, smells, and tastes like a Creole tomato, it’s a Creole tomato. There is no required pedigree or cultivar type. The LSU Agricultural Center developed a type of tomato named "Creole”, but it is no longer maintained by the Center. And it was never the standard or the only plant that produced Creole tomatoes. Nowadays, some plants are sold with Creole in their name, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are descendants, via seeds or cuttings, of this old LSU breed.

Creole Tomatoes - What is a Creole Tomato?

This saves me from ordering seed online now. :aargh:

The way Creole is used properly these days is for marketing purposes. Local tomato growers can call their tomatoes "Creole" because they were locally grown in the warm climate and fertile river soils of the area , and because they are grown close to the local market they can be allowed to vine ripen. All of this contributes to a very flavorful tomato. It doesn't matter what cultivar they use. None of them use the old fashioned 'Creole' cultivar.

I have seen this explanation before but it raises another question for me. If we are inside the levee system, how long has it been since the soil has been replenished by the river silt that gives it so many nutrients? It isn't like they last forever.

I have seen this explanation before but it raises another question for me. If we are inside the levee system, how long has it been since the soil has been replenished by the river silt that gives it so many nutrients? It isn't like they last forever.

I suppose it could be argued that all of the soil in south louisiana is river deposit from one time or another. Surely the pH and mineral content (and climate) remains somewhat constant throughout the region.

However, it's been argued that over the last 10 years or so that the creole tomatoes have been engineered to be more attractive in appearance. I remember the days when the creole tomatoes had giant cracks in their skin and were generally the least appealing to look at (but the best in flavor). Now the creoles you encounter in the store are fairly uniform and look like the usual market tomato purchase. Many say that this engineering has resulted in much less flavorful tomatoes and their mostly banking on the name and reputation of the "creole tomato", rather than the actual product. I tend to agree with "them".

I suppose it could be argued that all of the soil in south louisiana is river deposit from one time or another. Surely the pH and mineral content (and climate) remains somewhat constant throughout the region.

However, it's been argued that over the last 10 years or so that the creole tomatoes have been engineered to be more attractive in appearance. I remember the days when the creole tomatoes had giant cracks in their skin and were generally the least appealing to look at (but the best in flavor). Now the creoles you encounter in the store are fairly uniform and look like the usual market tomato purchase. Many say that this engineering has resulted in much less flavorful tomatoes and their mostly banking on the name and reputation of the "creole tomato", rather than the actual product. I tend to agree with "them".

engineering for looks is one of the worst things that has ever happened to food - like cutting meats off site and doing away with the skilled and knowledgeable butcher. Another thing that I don't like in Tomato engineering is the "low acid" thing. When I was a kid my grandparents grew between 50 and 80 tomato plants on their 2 acres and I could not get a bad one. I think taste goes with the acid. The only way I can describe it is an earthy strong taste that is so hard to come by now days. Yes I got ulcers in my gums every year back then but it was worth it. You still get those tomatoes from road side venders sometimes but it is hit and miss.

engineering for looks is one of the worst things that has ever happened to food - like cutting meats off site and doing away with the skilled and knowledgeable butcher. Another thing that I don't like in Tomato engineering is the "low acid" thing. When I was a kid my grandparents grew between 50 and 80 tomato plants on their 2 acres and I could not get a bad one. I think taste goes with the acid. The only way I can describe it is an earthy strong taste that is so hard to come by now days. Yes I got ulcers in my gums every year back then but it was worth it. You still get those tomatoes from road side venders sometimes but it is hit and miss.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's been really hard to find really good tomatoes - even their heirlooms at the grocery can be marginal. I have the best luck at the farmer's markets, but even those are inconsistent. I actually have the best luck with the smaller tomatoes, which isn't always ideal for cooking applications.

As for butchers, that's an art that's coming back (luckily). There are several gourmet butchers popping up, where you can get almost anything (Rare Cuts, Cleaver and Co, Emmit's in Harahan, and there is another on Magazine, but I forget...). All of those places have a ton of stuff in stock, and will get you whatever you want with a little notice (Cleaver and co will also sell you stock, bones and whatever else - they really use everything). I've even had good experiences lately with Rouse's and Langensteins. Rouse's has started dry-aging steaks and will also cut to order. I think as people get educated, it's really stepping up the competition between the local groceries to offer those kinds of services. It's a really good thing, IMO.

I have one Creole planted this year (planted in March) covered during cold spells. I have about 12 on the plant and have already pulled 2 off.

But I fear that by mid June it will just be waay to hot. My lil garden area is on south side of home where it gets over 7 hrs of sun per day. By mid June that's just too much for Creoles.

On a side note...my satsuma tree has FINALLY produced. My neighbor planted Lemon tree which gave me cross-pollenation. Had this satsuma tree for 6 yrs no production until he planted that lemon tree. I have just over 60 young satsumas. Can't wait for November

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

What is the temp like up there now?

today it was 60 degrees and sunny. It's been unseasonably cool the past couple of weeks. And the wind was nasty the past couple of days. Between the temperature and the whipping winds, watching my tomato and pepper plants get tossed about has made me really anxious.

We had a couple of nights with freeze warnings a couple of weeks ago... glad I didn't have them planted then.

But it sucks hearing about the folks back home having tomatoes ready or near ready... and I'm nowhere close :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom