Growing white-shark congregation off Cape Cod has resulted in its first fatal attack since 1936 (1 Viewer)

Last year I was about a hundred yards off the coast of Nova Scotia in a very small boat. About 40 miles SE of Halifax in a harbour.

We were stopped and I was leaning over to feel the water temperature. At the time the person driving the boat said, at this very spot - a 15 foot tagged white shark pinged at the surface about a month ago.

Gives me the willies.

Because in the harbour you don’t even feel like you are in the ocean. Just looks like a lake with very small islands everywhere.

Maine experiences it’s first known fatal shark attack - great white likely mistook swimmer in wetsuit for a seal.

No surprise there. Maine has a lot of seals. There's a whole island near Acadia National Park that's covered with them.

It is tragic, I feel terrible for that poor woman. But most rational folks realize that once you swim, surf, or otherwise go into the ocean, you are in their world....

And what is up with the "it's still out there" line, kind of ridiculous really....

I know this is an older thread, but having been to Cape Cod a few times over the last few years, I downloaded the "Sharktivity" app, and I still get fairly frequent alerts when there is a great white up there (most of them are tagged, and they have radio stations that will ping them). We went fishing one day, and not only were there a couple of seals in the harbor, but the Cousteau research vessel was within view of where we were fishing.

Since the Governator created the big marine area off California to protect the kelp beds, which has since expanded and Mexico continued down Baja our numbers have increased dramatically here also. But that’s a good thing all considered as it means all the populations are coming back into line. More food-more sharks. With the drones and such monitoring now, they are kept track of pretty well. We’ve come a long way since someone getting eaten was the first sign of a shark.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom