G's Corner #3: The Devil Will Pay (1 Viewer)

Destroyer IV

Reaction score
G’s Corner Edition #3
The Devil Will Pay
By Gerald Songy
August, 3rd 2008

Hooray! Another fantasy year is upon us and a new dawn has arrived! After spending months in the dark with only baseball and golf to feed our hunger for sports, we have something to look forward too. At least until your first pick shows that he is a dud. :9:

I know I spent Sunday’s watching all day marathon of Deadliest Catch on Discovery and iCarley on Disney! Things were desperate! The wife and kids enjoyed the extra time I had to spend with them, but it will come to an end September 6th, the draft is here! I have one thing to say when the draft comes, THE DEVIL WILL PAY!!!

As draft day approaches, we start to devise our draft strategy. Who will we pick for our first choice? The majority rule is we pick RBs in round 1, what about rounds 2, 3, and 4? What if we have the #12 pick? Do we pick RB or WR? Well, that one is easy; it does not matter because you have the #13 pick in round 2. The hard question is do you go RB, RB in rounds 1 and 2 or RB, WR? Remember your next pick will be #36 in round 3.

Picking at #12 is similar to picking #1 except your long wait is between the #1 pick and the #2 pick. The first pick is the easiest pick with little drama, it is almost always the top rated RB on the board. The question is what do you pick for your second pick in round 2, the # 24 pick overall? RB will undoubtedly be depleted from top rated RBs by then, so do you go with a WR or RB? All tough questions, of course you have the next pick in the 3rd round so it does not matter if you go RB, WR or WR, RB.

The middle rounds may be the safe bet for many people; you may not get the best rated players, but a decent mix to choose from and maybe a chance to reach for a QB in the earlier rounds. Drafting at #6 gets you the #6, 18, 30 picks and the #42 pick in round 4.

No matter who you are, you have a philosophy when it comes down to drafting your players and with a little luck you will get a strong team that will enable you to win. Each year we may tweak our strategy, but do we totally change it? If you lose enough, you will change it, but what and how do we change our strategy.

For some, we start strategizing our schemes after the NFL draft, some around June, some after training camp, and others at the draft. I think devising a strategy on draft day is too late; you have to at least start the day before. I start around June so I can get familiar with player injuries are who is traded and cut. Who believes Derrick Mason is still retired?

What concepts do we place in our strategy? Do you have a set position to pick at each round no matter what? Is it RB, RB, WR or RB, WR, RB or any other combination? What if the first 2 rounds are RB happy? Do you go for a WR in the 1st? One thing for sure is you need to know the scoring system before draft day. I made that mistake last year. I fail to understand the entire scoring system and I wound up playing catch-up and I feel I made a few draft mistakes that day.

Another tool we use is pre-ranking players. Do you pre-rank your players or do you go with another so called expert ranking? I guess this decision depends on how much time we have on our hands. Are your rankings tiered? This is so we can determine where the gaps are between a great player and a good player. How do we rank a player? How does someone rank Tom Brady? He was hurt 99% of last season, but I see in a few polls that he is ranked #1 above Drew Brees and Manning. Please, no one get confused as to what Manning I am talking about! Let’s say it is not Elli.

There are so many other influences we have when we draft, but when the time comes, we need to be smart because this may not guarantee a winning season, but it will get you on the right track. I find gut feelings helps out a lot when deciding on players. Other decisions are made not just based on talent, but based on who the coach of the team is and who is QB. Does the team run most of the time or are they pass happy.

I can go on forever talking about this because no matter what strategy you have it is not fool proof. All we can hope for is the right balance and hope we have depth on our roster to replace injured players. I know how the owner felt when Brady went down, I owned Randy Moss. I felt it again after I traded him! :ezbill:

In conclusion, do you math and make the best possible plan to put together a winning team. Come into the draft with your notes and pencils and be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the day because it is a special time for us all. It is the only time we see each other in one room. To borrow a line from an Iced Earth song, when draft day comes the devil will pay!!!

Take Care,
Gerald Songy

Attachments

OP
OP
Destroyer IV

Destroyer IV

Reaction score
I just looked at last years draft results and was kind've shocked with my draft choices! Out of 16 rounds I had 5 quality picks! My first 4 draft choices (R. Moss, R. Bush, C. Ocho Cinco, E. James) sucked big time so I either traded them or stuck them on the bench. Moss started to do good after I traded him which sucked for me, but I got good results with what I got in return.

Other bad choices in the draft for me was Vince Young, Carson Palmer, Julious Jones, and a host of others! Tony Gonzales and Roddy White being my top choices.

What can we learn from this you ask, your team base starts at the draft, but through the wire and trades, you can still build a solid team. I was able to work the waiver wire and make trades that strenghtened my team. The end result? A trip to the playoffs with a win! One game shy of playing to be in the Fantasy bowl.

In the draft we do not know the future and we may come out feeling good, but that is only half the job as a team owner. We need to be smart picking players off the wire and making trades.

Good luck to all in the trade!

Jerry

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette SR News Page Articles 0

Headlines

Top Bottom