Guards More Important Than Tackles in Saints Offense - Kromer (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Chicago Bears: Bears following New Orleans Saints model in valuing guards over tackles on offensive line - chicagotribune.com

Well this puts and end to our Saints fan debates.

In the passing scheme being installed by coach Marc Trestman and Kromer, the Bears rather would risk pressure from an outside rush than an inside rush. An argument can be made that interior rushes have become considerably more effective in recent years as coordinators have schemed more inside blitzes. And it is easier to help tackles than guards.

"If they can get in the face of your quarterback, it's a problem in the throwing game," Kromer said. "So we try to keep them on the line of scrimmage (with interior blockers) and control our edges and help our tackles with formation, tight end presence and back presence."

That's pretty obvious where the Saints are concerned and it makes perfect sense especially at Drew's height.

Makes sense, keep the interior well blocked and keep defenders in the middle at the line of scrimmage. That way the QB (Brees) can step up into a clean pocket if there is pressure coming from the outsides.

I think we proved that when we had 2 pro-bowl caliber guards (evans, nicks) and okay tackles.

Not all QB's step up into the pocket as deftly as Brees. If not, they better have a good LT. But yea, guards are important to us. Many of our losses are due to pressure up the middle.

I hope we can run this year. I'm tired of not having road graders for our running game.

Still think we should have just paid Nicks. Get some average tackles and some average WRs and let brees go to town.

...that's why they let Carl Nicks walk.

Too bad the article is for subscribers only. I'd love to read the whole thing.

So, did they flat out say Guards are more highly valued? or just that Guards need to do a better job working against gut pressure, and you can give more help to an OT?

Of course, if you have a smart RB, they can help the interior line as well, but it takes more coordination in that case.

I guess I'm eating crow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom