Gulf Boats having Trouble Finding the Oil (1 Viewer)

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf boats having trouble finding any oil: US official
(AFP) – 23 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Some 750 boats drafted in to scoop up oil from the Gulf of Mexico are having "trouble" finding any crude in the sea, a top US official said Wednesday, almost a week after a busted well was capped.
"We are starting to have trouble finding oil," US pointman Admiral Thad Allen, who is in charge of handling the government's response, told reporters.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hkmir-yGBuclKUXtje0SJQ1d9IKQ

I bet a bunch of it is below the surface. I think they need to get some sonar guys out there looking for it.

Agreed. It looks like the dispersant worked.

But is that a good thing?...Has the dispersant actually removed the oil? Or just dispersed it underwater where it can't be seen or got at?....If it's the latter, i fear it will be making it's way ashore for decades to come.

Its loking like the fresh water diversion is doing more damage to the oysters than the oil...im sorry the earl.

But is that a good thing?...Has the dispersant actually removed the oil? Or just dispersed it underwater where it can't be seen or got at?....If it's the latter, i fear it will be making it's way ashore for decades to come.

well, what I find interesting is how quickly it has disappeared from the surface. Is it a good thing? For BP it is. For the ecology, it hasn't shown itself to be the toxic nightmare some were predicting. If the Oil has simply dropped to the bottom then it could just become plankton food or maybe, as you say, it will roll up for decades to come but it should be easily cleaned up in that scenario. The question is "Who will clean it up?"

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with the boat owners that signed up for the Vessel of Opportunity program when they're told they're no longer needed.... Lots of guys were making some good money.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with the boat owners that signed up for the Vessel of Opportunity program when they're told they're no longer needed.... Lots of guys were making some good money.

They are already being told they are no longer needed. I beleive bp cut the fleet by 1/4 already.

And yes, lots of guys were making good money...more money than they would if they were out fishing.

well, what I find interesting is how quickly it has disappeared from the surface. Is it a good thing? For BP it is. For the ecology, it hasn't shown itself to be the toxic nightmare some were predicting. If the Oil has simply dropped to the bottom then it could just become plankton food or maybe, as you say, it will roll up for decades to come but it should be easily cleaned up in that scenario. The question is "Who will clean it up?"

Hey, out of sight, out of mind, amirite?

BP made a deal with China and has been pumping the oil there. That's why the boats are having trouble finding it.
capt.1c8893a6b5da47d3875078b4776b87a1-1c8893a6b5da47d3875078b4776b87a1-0.jpg

The argument was to use the dispersant to break it up into smaller "globules" and it would disappear quicker via a combination of evaporation and crude-eating bateria.

They are already being told they are no longer needed. I beleive bp cut the fleet by 1/4 already.

And yes, lots of guys were making good money...more money than they would if they were out fishing.

You are right, the fisherman were making more money cleaning up the toxic oil...I know for a fact they would rather be crabbing, shrimping, oystering...for half the price..
I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel happening for many years. We may be able to fish, hunt...etc. I know oil doesn't go away in 5 or maybe ten years.
I know their are no wrong opinions here or on any thread. Because we dont know the facts of long term recovery...and they wont be "fact" until the scenario plays out....sorry just frustrated

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom