Gulf Coast Claims Facility Sucks! (1 Viewer)

BoatsNBeer

Why is all the Rum gone??
Reaction score
As many of you know, I was laid off in July due to cutbacks at my company as a result of the moratorium. I had applied to the GCCF when they opened on August 23rd. I was sent a letter referring me to the Rig Worker Assistance Fund, but I am ineligible for that due to my being an on-shore worker.

I was then called and told my claim was being reevaluated. Then Saturday I was sent a letter saying my claim was denied. Then my online status was listed as needing more information. I called and they said they needed no further documentation. Then today my online status was changed to denied. :rant:

A few days ago on the GCCF reports on their site they listed just over 2,000 claims as being "referred to the moratorium fund". Today that number is only about 200. It seems they changed the status of all the moratorium victims to just "denied".

I am frustrated beyond belief right now. In this small town I have almost no chance of employment in my profession. Taking this economy into account as well, has provided very few prospects in the region period. I have yet to even secure as much as an interview. Meanwhile, my family is burning through savings due to the cost of running my house and tons of student loans.

We were a month away from breaking ground on our dream house when I was laid off and now we are watching those savings meant for the home construction burn up to keep us afloat.

This is so frustrating, especially when you read stories about waitresses in Florida getting checks for $15,000. I have nothing against other people being compensated, but if you are going to give money to people who never saw a drop of oil in their area you should honor all legitimate claims associated with the spill. I have tried enlisting various reporters to bring the concerns of those like me (on-shore workers out of work due to moratorium) forward with limited success.

I feel that if someone could put Feinberg under the camera and ask him what people like me are supposed to do he'd have no reasonable response other than to claim us eligible. This is the frustrating part, that there are probably so few people in my situation we don't have a loud enough "voice" to warrant being heard.

/rant

Ridiculous. BP only made 80 billion in the smallest measure of profit last year, so it's understandable why they'd be so tight in actually paying out claims.

I feel for you and hope **** gets right one way or another soon.

As many of you know, I was laid off in July due to cutbacks at my company as a result of the moratorium. I had applied to the GCCF when they opened on August 23rd. I was sent a letter referring me to the Rig Worker Assistance Fund, but I am ineligible for that due to my being an on-shore worker.

I was then called and told my claim was being reevaluated. Then Saturday I was sent a letter saying my claim was denied. Then my online status was listed as needing more information. I called and they said they needed no further documentation. Then today my online status was changed to denied. :rant:

A few days ago on the GCCF reports on their site they listed just over 2,000 claims as being "referred to the moratorium fund". Today that number is only about 200. It seems they changed the status of all the moratorium victims to just "denied".

I am frustrated beyond belief right now. In this small town I have almost no chance of employment in my profession. Taking this economy into account as well, has provided very few prospects in the region period. I have yet to even secure as much as an interview. Meanwhile, my family is burning through savings due to the cost of running my house and tons of student loans.

We were a month away from breaking ground on our dream house when I was laid off and now we are watching those savings meant for the home construction burn up to keep us afloat.

This is so frustrating, especially when you read stories about waitresses in Florida getting checks for $15,000. I have nothing against other people being compensated, but if you are going to give money to people who never saw a drop of oil in their area you should honor all legitimate claims associated with the spill. I have tried enlisting various reporters to bring the concerns of those like me (on-shore workers out of work due to moratorium) forward with limited success.

I feel that if someone could put Feinberg under the camera and ask him what people like me are supposed to do he'd have no reasonable response other than to claim us eligible. This is the frustrating part, that there are probably so few people in my situation we don't have a loud enough "voice" to warrant being heard.

/rant

Contact your state Senator.

Also, since you have family in NC, have them contact Sue Myrick's office. I've heard good stories where her office has been able to get things rolling for people when they've needed it (even my parents). She may be able to help by working with the one from your state.

Call Gene Taylor's office. I know he has been helping some others that have been denied.

It looks like we might have to file also. We haven't received a single call for any video work since the spill.

Defer those student loans. I am sure you don't want to but IMO it's the prudent thing to do now.

Contact your state Senator.

Also, since you have family in NC, have them contact Sue Myrick's office. I've heard good stories where her office has been able to get things rolling for people when they've needed it (even my parents). She may be able to help by working with the one from your state.

I have sent letter to 2 representatives and both senators. I will look into Myrick. Thanks.

It sucks that someone like you, that actually needs the money and has a legitimate claim, is being denied, while I know for a fact that a ton of people that lost nothing are getting 10-20k.

Ridiculous. BP only made 80 billion in the smallest measure of profit last year, so it's understandable why they'd be so tight in actually paying out claims.

I feel for you and hope **** gets right one way or another soon.

is it bp or is it the government? last I heard the government is in control of the fund and someone appointed by obama is overseeing it. bp has set aside 20 billion for the government to administer.

It sucks that someone like you, that actually needs the money and has a legitimate claim, is being denied, while I know for a fact that a ton of people that lost nothing are getting 10-20k.

This is indeed frustrating. I can imagine there are thousands out there laughing that they got X money for nothing. I have documented my claim to the teeth and get nothing because it's due to the moratorium.

is it bp or is it the government? last I heard the government is in control of the fund and someone appointed by obama is overseeing it. bp has set aside 20 billion for the government to administer.
Both. The fact that a company that made 80 billion last year and isn't in danger of making less than 50 billion in BOTTOM LINE profits can't overfund for claims shows that they much more efficiently pay for senators than pay out for PR and their sense of guilt/shame. They **** us hard because they can, and they know we'll ask for more.

If you show me the government pocketing the money when it's in some way obviously very overfunded, then BP is off the hook.

We may not love the government, but they didn't knock these jobs out with their direct actions. BP did. I may not like potholes in the road, but the drunk that hits my *** is the one that's primarily responsible, not the DOT.

Both. The fact that a company that made 80 billion last year and isn't in danger of making less than 50 billion in BOTTOM LINE profits can't overfund for claims shows that they much more efficiently pay for senators than pay out for PR and their sense of guilt/shame. They **** us hard because they can, and they know we'll ask for more.

If you show me the government pocketing the money when it's in some way obviously very overfunded, then BP is off the hook.

We may not love the government, but they didn't knock these jobs out with their direct actions. BP did. I may not like potholes in the road, but the drunk that hits my *** is the one that's primarily responsible, not the DOT.

if I could show you that, id sell the story to 60 minutes. bp gave the money to the government. the government is in complete control of the money.

Feinberg admitted however, that he had to get better, and wanted to assure those in attendance that he was not an agent of BP or working for BP.

“Whatever flaws there are in this program today are my fault, not BP’s, and I’ve got to correct them.”

Wade, have you thought about relocating? Even if you wind up getting compensated for some of your losses, it seems like the dearth of jobs where you are might make it hard for your family down the road.. in this day and age, it helps to be mobile if you can.

Wade, have you thought about relocating? Even if you wind up getting compensated for some of your losses, it seems like the dearth of jobs where you are might make it hard for your family down the road.. in this day and age, it helps to be mobile if you can.

Well, we are willing to relocate anywhere as long as it is within a few hours driving distance to New Orleans. My first choice at this point would probably be the Northshore, but anywhere within a few hours is good. I actually have no desire to stay in Morgan City.

I could find a job much quicker if we moved out of state and if it comes to that in the end we will do what is necessary. But to be honest, I took the job here with a $30k pay-cut from my last position in DC to be closer to home. I really don't want to move out-of-state again as it simply makes me miserable to be away from all the things I love besides my family. But in the end my family is most important and we will do what is needed.

Well then, that settles it. That explains why it is so screwed up. :smilielol:

Defer those student loans. I am sure you don't want to but IMO it's the prudent thing to do now.

There should be a hardship forbearance available.

Sorry you're going through this. I have many friends who have made claims and some like the 15k waitress were less deserving. Many were very frustrated and made similar statements to yours with regards to handling and Feinburg.

From what I know, all of those claims have been handled and paid. I'm sure it's no help to say that you should remain patient, polite and focused, but that's exactly what to do. Having had a couple friends involved in the 911 nightmare, I can tell you they speak very highly of Feinburg and how he handled a very difficult situation.

Good luck and quick resolution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom