Gulf Coast Claims Facility Sucks! (1 Viewer)

Dude that freakin sucks. Have you looked for stuff in the Livingston area at all? It takes us about and hour and half to get to Nola.

You may want to take a look at Houston.. it gets a bad rap, but it's affordable and has a relatively good economy, plus i can make it home to NOLA in a little over 5 hrs, or to LSU games in 4.. I'm actually looking for a new gig myself right now, but am getting lots of phone calls and interviews (knock wood that continues til i find something i want.)

Ditto to this. The economy crunch hasn't seemed to hurt this area as much as much of the rest of the country. Plus, the schools are really good (at least they are in our district, Cy-Fair ISD), and the medical facilities available are among the best around. Yes, traffic is bad, but with park and ride options increasing, and also more companies opening offices outside of the downtown area, there are ways to deal with it.

Saints and LSU fans have a huge presence here as well, plus Texans fans hate the cowgirls about as much as we do! :)

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. That really stinks. :(

Wade, if you move to the northshore you can become a degenerate alcoholic with me. Although, you should probably not alert me to when or where you would be moving as my phone has a tendency to call people randomly when I blackout.

But in all seriousness, I really hope things work out for you. I have watched quite a few people I know in the restaurant business collect sizeable checks recently (most of which were, IMO, undeserved) only to watch them blow thousands frivolous crap. Makes me sick to my stomach to know that the people that truly deserve assistance are being turned away. Best of luck, bud.

Dude that freakin sucks. Have you looked for stuff in the Livingston area at all? It takes us about and hour and half to get to Nola.

Well I've been looking everywhere from Lafayette to about Gulfport and anywhere in between. The problem is there are limited positions in my field and with the economy there are not many openings. My credentials are excellent so it's only a matter of time really.

I overhear, as they are right next to me, that they are there filing a claim b/c they are crawfishermen. I might be missing the connection here, but how exactly does the oil spill negatively effect the crawfish population or it's sale?

why didn't you ask them? They'd probably be able to give a better answer than we could. And it might help clear up some of the mass confusion leading/contributing to this whole mess and maybe give you some material you could use as you try and advocate for your own case when you contact/write people

So today I brought in a letter to the claims office the local guy told me to write and three guys walk in to file a claim. I overhear, as they are right next to me, that they are there filing a claim b/c they are crawfishermen. I might be missing the connection here, but how exactly does the oil spill negatively effect the crawfish population or it's sale? If anything the spill helped freshwater fishermen b/c of the lack of seafood from the Gulf increased the demand and thus prices on crawfish and other freshwater fare.

I might be missing the point of how they were affected, but it seems this is the kind of nonsense that has no business in the claims office and keeps people with legitimate claims from getting paid. :rant:

Crawfishermen are suffering mental anguish from being near the moratorium, silly.

Seriously. Isn't crawfish season pretty much done by the time they closed the water?

Crawfishermen are suffering mental anguish from being near the moratorium, silly.

Seriously. Isn't crawfish season pretty much done by the time they closed the water?
Crawfisherman fish fresh water mostly swamps and flooded woods they didn't see a drop of oil. The season can go into June, but again they were not affected like the shrimpers and oyster fisherman.

Boats I remember you had a thread on crawfishing. Tell them you can no longer crawfish either and they might pay you.

why didn't you ask them? They'd probably be able to give a better answer than we could. And it might help clear up some of the mass confusion leading/contributing to this whole mess and maybe give you some material you could use as you try and advocate for your own case when you contact/write people

I suppose I could have in lieu of making assumptions. But I don't see what good would it have really done other than give me more fuel for my frustrations, and it might not have come across well had I asked how he had suffered losses.

I suppose I could have in lieu of making assumptions. But I don't see what good would it have really done other than give me more fuel for my frustrations, and it might not have come across well had I asked how he had suffered losses.

No. That's not what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to call you out for making assumptions and I wasn't suggesting that you should get in some sort of debate over who lost more and whether or not it was justified, etc

I was just saying that if you were curious, asking them is a better idea than asking us.

And you might've learned something that you could've included in whatever you're writing, to whomever you're writing. Just engaging in casual conversation over it - and gleaning what you could. You never know, they might be like some people I heard in Lake Charles when I was down there, bragging about how they beat the system to get some money.

And I didn't think it would assuage your frustration, either. Had these men indeed bragged about getting money they probably shouldn't have, you would've been more than justified to be more angry or frustrated.

I didn't suggest it because I thought it would make you feel better at that moment.

I suggested it as a sort of fact-finding conversation - learn what you can and then when you write to people, you can share this information with them.

one of your concerns throughout this thread is the legitimacy of claims, or lack thereof, relative to your own. So if you're going to petition someone above you, it might help to have some of this information.

It was just a suggestion-in-retrospect. And for down the line. As you continue to try and find some sort of resolution, you'll be dealing in the same places and circles as a lot of other people in your situation, I'd imagine.

The more people you talk to, the more you learn about their respective cases, the more specificity you can include in your own when you relate it to whomever you're writing.

Does that make more sense?

So today I brought in a letter to the claims office the local guy told me to write and three guys walk in to file a claim. I overhear, as they are right next to me, that they are there filing a claim b/c they are crawfishermen. I might be missing the connection here, but how exactly does the oil spill negatively effect the crawfish population or it's sale? If anything the spill helped freshwater fishermen b/c of the lack of seafood from the Gulf increased the demand and thus prices on crawfish and other freshwater fare.

I might be missing the point of how they were affected, but it seems this is the kind of nonsense that has no business in the claims office and keeps people with legitimate claims from getting paid. :rant:

No local bait had to import it...higher costs. The biggest difference between your calim and there is a fuzzy one.

BP's oil caused their loss. You loss was caused by a knee jerk government reaction. There should be a separate fund for people in your situation but who would fund it....not BP they didnt make the government stop drilling.

Its easy for me to say this since I am not in your shoes, but the distriction to me is clear. BP doesnt owe you, the feds do.

ALSO... you dont know if they got any money.

There actually is a separate 100 million dollar fund administered through the "Baton Rouge Area Foundation" that's specifically for those that lost jobs via the moratorium. I'd assumed that was the one Boats was getting denied on. The problem is it also says "rig workers" which screws over the on shore workers who are equally affected but not as easy to work into a sound byte for the news/voters.

No. That's not what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to call you out for making assumptions and I wasn't suggesting that you should get in some sort of debate over who lost more and whether or not it was justified, etc

Does that make more sense?

Point taken. Certainly more clear now.

No local bait had to import it...higher costs. The biggest difference between your calim and there is a fuzzy one.

BP's oil caused their loss. You loss was caused by a knee jerk government reaction. There should be a separate fund for people in your situation but who would fund it....not BP they didnt make the government stop drilling.

Its easy for me to say this since I am not in your shoes, but the distriction to me is clear. BP doesnt owe you, the feds do.

ALSO... you dont know if they got any money.

I can understand menhaden prices escalating, but there are plenty of substitutes (catfish heads, buffalo, dry bait, etc). And the massive fishing closures were not until the middle to end of May, with Crawfishing mostly coming to an end in the coming weeks of June. There was plenty of offshore water open through most of May. And I imagine there was plenty stock of menhaden the first few weeks after closures. So there may have been some losses escalation of prices, but it does not seem it would be material.

I agree my loss was caused by a knee-jerk political move on the administrations part, but what are the chances of me seeing a dime from the government? Can you even sue the government? Therefore, my only course of action is to seek compensation from the "catalyst", which I think we can agree is BP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom