Gumbo/Etouffee (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I have tried to make etouffee a few times recently and it always comes out just like my Gumbo.

What am I missing?

Following online recipes, they have virtually the same ingredients. Am I allowing the roux to get to dark?

When I get etouffee at NOLA restaurants, it’s a lighter color (and thicker) than Gumbo.

Any tips would be appreciated.

butter roux instead of oil, dont go as dark (milk solids in butter roux will burn before you get to a very dark roux) , and the real "secret" to what you get at a lot of mom and pop restaurants is some cream of mushroom soup and a little rotel. Might not be high brow cooking, but it's delicious

Etouffee calls for a LOT of butter. Like a whole stick. As well as cayenne.

Are you using a whole stick?

Others have said fat from crawfish. If ur using Chinese crawfish you are missing the fat too.

My go to in a pinch... Louisiana Etouffee mix. But fresh crawfish from a boil

butter roux instead of oil, dont go as dark (milk solids in butter roux will burn before you get to a very dark roux) , and the real "secret" to what you get at a lot of mom and pop restaurants is some cream of mushroom soup and a little rotel. Might not be high brow cooking, but it's delicious
The golden mushroom soup is better in etouffee and at least a stick of butter for the roux.

Homemade seafood stock, clean the heads into a bowl, and add the fat. Or just boil the heads in the stock before mixing with butter roux.

Agree. Rotel and cream of celery soup are regular/good cheats. Tomato paste works well also for color/flavor.

Don’t be afraid to add more butter to finish it.

I went with one stick, but still got a dark roux.....but minutes earlier it was much lighter than, so I’m guessing I just cooked it too long.
Love the cheats too....

What temp are you creating the roux?

I don't put roux in my étouffée. It is a stick of butter per lbs of shrimp/crawfish. Melt the butter and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until butter is clear and you see some brown on the bottom of the pan. At this point I'll sometimes throw in a heaping spoon or two of diced tomatoes or Rotel. Once the tomato cooks until it's darkened a little, I add the shrimp or crawfish. If I'm doing shrimp, I'll stir in a little corn starch in a small cup of water and add for thickening. If I'm using crawfish, I add a couple of full cups (one with a big spoonful of corn starch dissolved in it). It is seasoned throughout with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.

This is pretty much how my grandmother made it, and hers was some of the best around.

Roux + diced bell pepper + diced red onion + tomato paste + homemade crawfish shell stock (store bought seafood stock if that's your best option) + your selection of spices, heat, salt, & garlic = an unbeatable recipe for etouffee. No cream of any soup. Make it thicker than gumbo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom