Gumbo opinions (1 Viewer)

I have a friend that sends me a Greenberg smoked turkey for Thanksgiving every year. It arrived last night!! Stripped the meat and the carcass is on the stove in the stock pot now and the whole house smells of smoky heavenliness!! Roux and slow gumbo Saturday. Eat Sunday. Mmmmmmm.
What type of wood was it smoked with?

I am getting ready to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. I will use pecan but I thought about mixing in another type of wood.
I'm not very good at smoking but I know that the Greenberg turkeys are mostly hickory with just a bit of pecan. :shrug:

I've switched to Alton Browns oven roux method. Basically mix your oil and flour then bake at 350 stir every 30mins until it reaches your desired color. You have to start earlier, but it's less danger of burning and barely any labor.
Man that takes too long and dirty's more pans. I get chocolate colored roux in 20 minutes.

This is exactly the way I do roux/seasoning veg. The only thing now is no overly dark roux, reflux city.
I never add the bell peppers with the onions and celery, let everything cook and cool a bit, same with garlic.
I love the way everyone has their own ways, thanks Maw!🥰
I throw the 3 in at once because that's what Emeril's recipe says to do. It also says that it stops the cooking process on the roux. It's my favorite part about cooking them is stopping the roux darkening process by throwing the trinity in there. His also calls for a 2 to 1 ratio of onions to bell peppers and celery. 2 cups of onions and 1 cup each of the other two. The rest of it I don't have memorized. That's also for the seafood gumbo, the amount is different for chicken gumbo but I believe the ratio is the same.

I know people like to be jar roux snobs, but there really is no point in making your own roux. I wouldn't use the dry stuff, but the wet roux in the jar is exactly the same thing that you would make on your own stove. Either way, it's just flour and oil. There is literally no difference.
I can think of one off the top of my head and that's price. It's cheaper to make your own.

I throw the 3 in at once because that's what Emeril's recipe says to do. It also says that it stops the cooking process on the roux. It's my favorite part about cooking them is stopping the roux darkening process by throwing the trinity in there. His also calls for a 2 to 1 ratio of onions to bell peppers and celery. 2 cups of onions and 1 cup each of the other two. The rest of it I don't have memorized. That's also for the seafood gumbo, the amount is different for chicken gumbo but I believe the ratio is the same.
Do you know what's the darkest you let a roux get before it's considered burnt or bitter?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom