Gumbo opinions (2 Viewers)

I'll tell you guys one of the changes I made to Emeril's recipe for seafood gumbo. His calls for shrimp stock. Well instead I buy lobster bouillon(better than bouillon brand) and use that. I also load the sheet up with a pound of shrimp, 2 pounds of crab meat, some oysters and a pound of crawfish tails. Oh, I also sometimes add some clam stock to it as well. I don't claim to make the best gumbo but I will put it up against anybody's.

ezgif-3-9f9751161762.gif

I have no idea - I just eyeball it. More stock when my wife whines because she likes it too thin. And NEVER roux from a jar. Just make something else.
Same. Used to measure, it's been about 18 years since my first so now its muscle memory

I'd like to set the record straight since I'm the one that started this shirt.
I started using dry roux in a jar not because I was too lazy to make roux but because I hate skimming the extra oil off. It takes forever!
I don't like a grease slick on anything.
Since the quality of our beef, chickens... has declined I don't think the resulting fat is good enough to eat. The quality of cooking oil has been ditched also.
I need a farm!!

Well, someone must have had a bad childhood or drunk experience with mayo.

In my 20's, I once drank 3/4 of a fifth of Wild Turkey while making potato salad. I was drinking Wild Turkey again the next weekend, but couldn't eat potato salad for 10 years afterward.
There are a couple of such examples in this video

The shots are called Smokers Cough and Tapeworm

Around the 1:46 mark, he mentions how there is a fine line between smokiness and the roux being bitter. So I guess it's trial and error.
I will say that I notice his method is different than Chef Prudhomme's.

What is your liquid to roux ratio? I normally make a large duck gumbo for Christmas and have that down pat. I have been given seafood gumbo for Thanksgiving. I have about 2 1/2 lbs of shrimp and a lb of crabmeat. I have been having trouble with my gumbo being too thin, probably due to using dry roux in a jar. It starts out thick enough but thins as it cooks.
What say you?
Cook it longer.

I use equal parts oil and flour. Once I add Trinity and cook that down, it's pretty thick. I add stock until it's the consistency I desire. If you add to much, just cook it until enough liquid evaporates to the desired consistency. Seafood should always be added when the gumbo is almost done.

I've switched to Alton Browns oven roux method. Basically mix your oil and flour then bake at 350 stir every 30mins until it reaches your desired color. You have to start earlier, but it's less danger of burning and barely any labor.
Seems like an awful lot of work when Al you need to do is just keep stirring until it's the right color, then pull it off the heat. The only time I have ever burned roux is when I didn't pay attention. It's only barely more difficult than boiling water.

Seems like an awful lot of work when Al you need to do is just keep stirring until it's the right color, then pull it off the heat. The only time I have ever burned roux is when I didn't pay attention. It's only barely more difficult than boiling water.
You know what they say, a watched pot eventually boils.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom