Gun deer season started this week. (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
a46ba9f75c4d6c4ba31ea9b0efac0052.jpg

starts here on Monday. Took my 12 year out for youth gun last weekend. Only saw 1 doe and she busted him as he was trying to get the gun up on her. It was gut wrenching to watch. I knew it was coming because he was out of position and she was too close. We're going to give it another try for him Monday. I shot a doe early with the bow and had plenty of opportunity at deer through bow season so far but I was holding out for a mature buck. Had a big bodied 8 at 40 yards broadside but he stopped right behind some thick stuff so I wasn't able to get a shot at him. Gun season the holding out for mature buck goes out the window. Going to try and get my son 1 first then I'll work on filling my last tag just to top off the freezer.

never updated this thread......my son got his first deer opening day of gun season a couple weeks ago. It was an awesome experience for both of us. I was really glad I was there to share it with him. We actually doubled up. 2 deer dropped over into our ravine. He shot one and I immediately shot the other. It's an experience and story we'll have the rest of our lives. They were both pretty small deer but at the time their size didn't matter. He wanted to do it all so I was more than happy to oblige. I did most of the gutting because I wanted to teach him the right way but I did let him get in there to get the experience of it.

my favorite pic....my deer caddy :D

Awesome stuff my man! Hreat story and memory.

It was an awesome moment. I've noticed a change in him too when we hunt. He's a lot more on point now and sitting all day doesnt seem to bother him anymore. He's got the bug. Hunter for life. Like Ted said "teach yoir kids to hunt so you never have to hunt for your kids".

well its been sometime since I've been able to do any hunting and I'm very excited about this deer season. I went this weekend and started scouting, placing cameras and working on food plots. The wife tagged along and picked blackberries and we found a fox den. she was very excited about that and the fact we saw three deer. She now wants to go hunting with me, so I promised to take her. she was raised in a family that if they didn't raise the food they shot it.

Can't wait till opening day.

Attachments

• STC_0055_1505591584871.jpg
    STC_0055_1505591584871.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 10
2 more

Attachments

• STC_0004.jpg
    STC_0004.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
  • STC_0005.jpg
    STC_0005.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 6
I've got the fever and 8 weeks till opening day

Attachments

• STC_0010.jpg
    STC_0010.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 6
Where is your property and how much do you hunt on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southeast Al. its 1800 acres. 50/50 crop fields/forest. Crop is cotton and peanuts. 5 of us hunt it. Ill be in the woods solid from Nov. 18th till Nov. 26th. Hope to Harvest 3 deer. That will provide all of my families meet requirements for the year.

I also kill a couple wild pigs off of it grind it up for sausage and to feed my pup.
I used to do a lot more hunting an donate the meat to "hunting for the hungry" but I do not hunt as much as I use to ....

Southeast Al. its 1800 acres. 50/50 crop fields/forest. Crop is cotton and peanuts. 5 of us hunt it. Ill be in the woods solid from Nov. 18th till Nov. 26th. Hope to Harvest 3 deer. That will provide all of my families meet requirements for the year.

I also kill a couple wild pigs off of it grind it up for sausage and to feed my pup.
I used to do a lot more hunting an donate the meat to "hunting for the hungry" but I do not hunt as much as I use to ....

Well I'm available if you need a 6th

Is it a lease or owned?

its a lease. Opening day is the 18th of Nov. come on down.

My son is 13. He got his hunting license this summer and will be going for the first time this year. Being a city boy I don't hunt, but fortunately my wife is a country girl and her whole family does. Her uncle in Mississippi taught my son to shoot and gun safety this summer. He'll be taking him hunting after Thanksgiving.

I'm really excited for him. I haven't seen him this excited since the first time he put on pads to play tackle football. His birthday is in February and if he enjoys it and wants to keep with it he'll be getting his own rifle for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom