Gun trade ! (1 Viewer)

Says the guy from the service that only shoots from 300 yds versus 500, like me.
And I'm from the service whose motto is Aim High!

I once embarrassed two of my troops at the firing range. One was a former Marine. The other a former Ranger. Boy they were mad a career airman could shoot better than they could.

I'm not a gun enthusiast, but I thought a mini 14 shot bigger than .223. What did the M-16 change?

Totally different platforms. The Mini-14 is a little M-14, which was a smaller version of the old M-1 Garand. The AR-15/M-16 replaced the M-14 during the Vietnam era, and was an entirely different kettle of fish.

Totally different platforms. The Mini-14 is a little M-14, which was a smaller version of the old M-1 Garand. The AR-15/M-16 replaced the M-14 during the Vietnam era, and was an entirely different kettle of fish.
I completely missed that he could have been referring to the M-14.

That's my point. I know .223 = 5.56mm, but with all of the fanfair that came with the M-16's rollout, it seems like something must have changed. Was it simply plastic vs. wood?

The M-14 fires a 7.62mm NATO.
The Mini-14 fires a .223 (5.56mm).
The AR-15/M-16/M-4 all fire the 5.56mm.

And regarding the "upgrade" from M-14 to M-16, sometimes these changes are driven more by economics and logistics than trying to get the best possible weaponry into the hands of the American warriors. For my money, I'd put an M-14 and 1911 up against the M-16 and Beretta 92 any day of the week. (Then again, in a home defense setting I'm not humping around a bunch of .308 ammo and a heavy wooden stock.)

And I'm from the service whose motto is Aim High!

I once embarrassed two of my troops at the firing range. One was a former Marine. The other a former Ranger. Boy they were mad a career airman could shoot better than they could.

He must have gone UNQ at the range. :hihi:

I'll take you on any day of the week. :mad::angryrazz:

He must have gone UNQ at the range. :hihi:

I'll take you on any day of the week. :mad::angryrazz:
LOL

Any day you old leatherneck. Get your azz back from your Kirkuk vacation and we'll have a good ol' fashioned shootoff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YwjHhJdhY0I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YwjHhJdhY0I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom