Gunner Kiel transferring from Norte Dame (1 Viewer)

saintstigers3

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
LMAO @ this dude. Hate to laugh at a kid, but Karma is very very real. Guess he didn't have the chest to win the Notre Dame job.

Bruce Feldman &#8207;<s>@</s>BFeldmanCBS Re: Gunner Kiel transferring from ND. One coach at a big AQ program told me he declined Kiel's interest last month

I'm mad that an 18 year old kid chose a program different then my favorite team! :mad:

Funny thing is, Kiel was committed to Indiana for longer than he was to LSU. Yet when he switched to LSU I heard no questions about his "chesticular fortitude" then :shrug:

Funny thing is, Kiel was committed to Indiana for longer than he was to LSU. Yet when he switched to LSU I heard no questions about his "chesticular fortitude" then :shrug:
The first was an intelligent decision, the second, not so much.:hihi:

He just needs to earn hi PT like the rest of the kids out there do,jumping through hoops to start based on recruiting stature is lame and shows his moral character

LMAO @ this dude. Hate to laugh at a kid, but Karma is very very real.

Karma is the universe biting you in the ***...this kid just simply can't decide where he wants to play football. It sounds like he wants someone to hand him a starting job, but that's not how **** works. Miles was dead on with that guy.

I spoke to one coach at a big-time program who said Kiel's representative approached them about transferring, but they declined his interest. The feeling from that coach is that Kiel doesn't have the kind of grit or competitiveness they're looking for in a quarterback.

Source

Think he found this mystery coach grazing on his field?

Whelp his college career is likely shot.

I couldn't care less that he didn't come to LSU. He's obviously feels entitled, and is used to being coddled. He has no heart. He couldn't even call Les Miles to tell him he wasn't coming to LSU, and now he's running away from competition at ND. He likely will enroll somewhere where the QB corps is riddled with Lou Gerhig's disease, so that he gets handed the job. Not someone that you want running an SEC offense.

We're much better off because we got two QBs this past recruiting season that are solid Tigers and are embracing competition. Good luck to Kiel, he'll need it.

I understand a high school athlete decommiting from one team. Decommiting from two teams is a warning sign. Decommiting from two teams and transferring from your current school is damning.

I'm mad that an 18 year old kid chose a program different then my favorite team! :mad:

It certainly is true that many college recruiting fans are hypocritical. They bash kids as traitors and cowards for leaving their state to go to another school and praise kids who come from other states. Kids who change their minds and decommit from their programs lack integrity while kids who decommit to come to them are courageous.

That dynamic is true in every fan base. Most people accept kids will change their minds. Some are dishonest about the way they go about it and deserve the criticism they get.

Kiel was in a different category. He had many meetings with Kragthorpe and and knew when he was commiting he was taking a slot reserved for the qb of that class. LSU was making a big commitment to him as the qb of that class. He changed his mind at the 11th hour, with no warning, and completely screwed up qb recruiting for that class.

I would not have publicly said what Miles did and I think had Miles thought about it another day, he would not have either.

Kiel deserves criticism not for decommiting, but for the way he decommitted and the timing. His reputation took a bit of a hit then and is taking a bigger hit now that he appears to be running from the competition at ND.

Gunner Kiel leaving ND hardly stunning - CBSSports.com

Gunner Kiel transfer: Notre Dame reserve quarterback won't put future in Brian Kelly's hands - NCAA Football - Sporting News

It certainly is true that many college recruiting fans are hypocritical. They bash kids as traitors and cowards for leaving their state to go to another school and praise kids who come from other states. Kids who change their minds and decommit from their programs lack integrity while kids who decommit to come to them are courageous.

That dynamic is true in every fan base. Most people accept kids will change their minds. Some are dishonest about the way they go about it and deserve the criticism they get.

Kiel was in a different category. He had many meetings with Kragthorpe and and knew when he was commiting he was taking a slot reserved for the qb of that class. LSU was making a big commitment to him as the qb of that class. He changed his mind at the 11th hour, with no warning, and completely screwed up qb recruiting for that class.

I would not have publicly said what Miles did and I think had Miles thought about it another day, he would not have either.

Kiel deserves criticism not for decommiting, but for the way he decommitted and the timing. His reputation took a bit of a hit then and is taking a bigger hit now that he appears to be running from the competition at ND.

Gunner Kiel leaving ND hardly stunning - CBSSports.com

Gunner Kiel transfer: Notre Dame reserve quarterback won't put future in Brian Kelly's hands - NCAA Football - Sporting News

This happens every year, though. ND just had it happen to them with Alex Anzalone. The situations were substantially identical (early flip, school shut down recruiting at the player's request despite serious depth problems, NC loss followed by flip and immediate EE). It's a really difficult decision and for many of these kids it's the first time they've had people professionally relying on them. It's unfortunate that they have to cut their teeth in a public setting, because many of them just aren't ready; Kiel has acknowledged that he wasn't. Fan frustration is understandable, but these kids don't deserve the years of criticism that follow them. And Les' reaction was just childish.

The scuttlebutt around ND is that Kiel was told he'd start spring practice as the 3rd string QB (behind Golson and Rees) and have to earn his way up. In response, he decided to transfer. I think this is a kid that wanted to play early and saw less competition at LSU than ND, but ultimately wasn't ready to leave home. At the time, it looked like he'd have to redshirt as a freshman and would be starting as a redshirt sophomore at the latest (when Rees graduates). Now he sees a roster where he has no chance of winning the starting job this year and has an uphill battle to start until he's a 5th-year senior, which isn't even guaranteed at Notre Dame because of the unique redshirting policy. The kid's in a tough spot.

LOL, I wouldn't touch this QB with someone else's AD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom