Gut feeling we are going for faster, attacking Defense this season (1 Viewer)

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)
I have a "gut feeling" we might be leaning toward a bit smaller, faster, strong and athletic on the inside and run a speedier contain, attack, swarm defense. If we see draft picks of LB and DL that seem to all possess range/speed/power than big, "clog the hole" types, then I think we go that way and DA will be scheming something a bit different. I think with Richard in the building, they definitely have a plan (that doesn't mean just because Richard is in that we are going full Legion of Boom/Seattle style D for that reason) but I think Richard's presence will have the DB room playing a certain style that works best in tandem with that scheme. Did they bring him with that vision since were planning that bit of defensive change?

Is it just weeding out salaries that has some big bodies gone in FA with no equal replacement? Is it that the FA market and draft prospects just are dictating it or is it a game plan set in motion purposefully? ...I don't know. If they are that on top of scouting that can see the field of prospects with draft or FA to only be suited, then that is just amazing forethought and I would expect that from our FO. I just have a feeling (could be wrong).

Fast swarming/converging D's seem to give us fits...especially with speed to the perimeter. This is a copy cat league and "if can't beat them, join them" mentality...even with the most forward thinking coaches. I just feel that CSP and DA has something up his sleeve for this offseason to build on the strengths we already have and to get faster with less "thinking/hesitation". We have some great potential and ATHLETIC players on D, already.

It could be all coincidence or I could just flat out be sensing something out of nothing and be WAY OFF...LOL. We won't be NOT bringing guys who are NT fits, but maybe not going out of our way to have slower, huge stuffers but DL who have the NT ability.

Thoughts? Ya'll weigh in!

I just want the Saints to bring home the trophy in 21

Hell, we might not have Lattimore this season (I'm leaning towards we will have him at least most of the season). It's possible.

I think this defense remains the same, but we will be looking for a player like Kwon Alexander and Rankins, Jenkins players who helped make the defense what it was last season so I do agree with the OP in that aspect.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I think this defense remains the same, but we will be looking for a player like Kwon Alexander and Rankins, Jenkins players who helped make the defense what it was last season so I do agree with the OP in that aspect.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Jack Rabbit gone, Latts career on hold for the moment.
Oh, it’s broke alright.
I still say corner in the first. We’ll get at least one CB in this draft. It’s the one ginormously huge whole on this team.

Saints haven't but they need to. Him and Latt together would be awesome and help neutralize Tampa.
I would not be unhappy with a Sherman signing. With the ease they let Jenkins go, without even thinking about restructuring means they have some plan. He would be a good 2 year plug in as others develop and we keep looking for future.

Jack Rabbit gone, Latts career on hold for the moment.
Oh, it’s broke alright.
I still say corner in the first. We’ll get at least one CB in this draft. It’s the one ginormously huge whole on this team.
It is unsettling with the Latt situation. Why would you be out with cats who are felons and toting arms. Disappointing. We will definitely pick up a DB or 2 in draft and if not a Sherman, a serviceable vet "non sexy" CB in FA.

I have a "gut feeling" we might be leaning toward a bit smaller, faster, strong and athletic on the inside and run a speedier contain, attack, swarm defense. If we see draft picks of LB and DL that seem to all possess range/speed/power than big, "clog the hole" types, then I think we go that way and DA will be scheming something a bit different. I think with Richard in the building, they definitely have a plan (that doesn't mean just because Richard is in that we are going full Legion of Boom/Seattle style D for that reason) but I think Richard's presence will have the DB room playing a certain style that works best in tandem with that scheme. Did they bring him with that vision since were planning that bit of defensive change?

Is it just weeding out salaries that has some big bodies gone in FA with no equal replacement? Is it that the FA market and draft prospects just are dictating it or is it a game plan set in motion purposefully? ...I don't know. If they are that on top of scouting that can see the field of prospects with draft or FA to only be suited, then that is just amazing forethought and I would expect that from our FO. I just have a feeling (could be wrong).

Fast swarming/converging D's seem to give us fits...especially with speed to the perimeter. This is a copy cat league and "if can't beat them, join them" mentality...even with the most forward thinking coaches. I just feel that CSP and DA has something up his sleeve for this offseason to build on the strengths we already have and to get faster with less "thinking/hesitation". We have some great potential and ATHLETIC players on D, already.

It could be all coincidence or I could just flat out be sensing something out of nothing and be WAY OFF...LOL. We won't be NOT bringing guys who are NT fits, but maybe not going out of our way to have slower, huge stuffers but DL who have the NT ability.

Thoughts? Ya'll weigh in!
The big question is why Saints haven’t had this as a goal every year since 2010.

I would love a Dline that feature
DE:
Davenport, Granderson, Aldon Smith or Clowney and Kpassagnon.

DT:
Jordan, Omenyeta, K.Shortt and Tuttle

LB:
Alexander , Davis , Cox or Moses .
with Baunn, And resign Robinson or Goodson .
All pending FA I named should be available for below Market deals .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom