Guys, here comes they come. (2 Viewers)

It was one answer to a single question in a much wider discussion and completely consistent with things he has voiced in the past and the same thing Dak Prescott said 2 years ago. It's out of control.

I kinda hope he retires.

A part of me hopes that the NFL ends. If the NFL is going to be such a dividing point for our country, and people will HATE people to this level...perhaps we should just end it.

It all flows back to a wider division and the way social media has amplified all divisions.

Agree about social media. I see it as a symptom of the sickness brought about by social media, not the fault of the NFL at large.

A part of me hopes that the NFL ends. If the NFL is going to be such a dividing point for our country, and people will HATE people to this level...perhaps we should just end it.

Man, I feel ya. I come on here to read about Saints and optimism. But Football is all so complicated with all the rules, changes in them, changing this and that, no contact, etc, etc. If it all ended I don't think I would cry out for the loss of the NFL as I would have 10-15 years ago. Then you add in the social media era where all the rich players just spout off at each other in judgement.

It's a sad commentary on where we are as society. Being merely perceived by some as racist--let alone actually being racist--is literally worse than murder. (Unless, of course, that murder was by a cop, but not by anyone else.)

To many Black folks and other POC’s , yes, being a racist is on the same wavelength as being a murderer. Racism has caused genocide of various ethnic groups. Racism has created environments that encourage destruction and deprivation of the human spirit. Obviously, SOME of you still don’t understand how much racism DAILY impacts the lives of Black people.

I don’t get to just carelessly free ride around every part of town at anytime of day. I have to always be mindful of where I’m at, because I can be attacked just due to my race. Racism has been the daily terrorist in my community and it doesn’t just disappear due to higher social status. Equating what Mike did to what Drew said may seem a step too far for you. Honestly, I can’t tell you that all minorities - particularly Black people- will agree with my perspective. But I will say that to many of us this is not an illogical take.

Mike is still vilified for his actions even though he has done the work and never done anything insensitive regarding animals since his prison stint. Drew chose to twist a knife in an open womb of a people who were already agonizing over the continued assault on our community. His words wounded in ways that shake the soul. They felt like a personal attack to many Black people who have lost family members to police shootings. They cause trauma. Trust and believe that the words of White men have caused centuries of pain to my community. In fairness, there have also been countless numbers of good White men who have helped heal some of the pain in my people. The issue is that Drew, consciously or unconsciously, chose to maim with his words. Many hearts will never heal from his actions.

To many Black folks and other POC’s , yes, being a racist is on the same wavelength as being a murderer. Racism has caused genocide of various ethnic groups. Racism has created environments that encourage destruction and deprivation of the human spirit. Obviously, SOME of you still don’t understand how much racism DAILY impacts the lives of Black people.

I don’t get to just carelessly free ride around every part of town at anytime of day. I have to always be mindful of where I’m at, because I can be attacked just due to my race. Racism has been the daily terrorist in my community and it doesn’t just disappear due to higher social status. Equating what Mike did to what Drew said may seem a step too far for you. Honestly, I can’t tell you that all minorities - particularly Black people- will agree with my perspective. But I will say that to many of us this is not an illogical take.

Mike is still vilified for his actions even though he has done the work and never done anything insensitive regarding animals since his prison stint. Drew chose to twist a knife in an open womb of a people who were already agonizing over the continued assault on our community. His words wounded in ways that shake the soul. They felt like a personal attack to many Black people who have lost family members to police shootings. They cause trauma. Trust and believe that the words of White men have caused centuries of pain to my community. In fairness, there have also been countless numbers of good White men who have helped heal some of the pain in my people. The issue is that Drew, consciously or unconsciously, chose to maim with his words. Many hearts will never heal from his actions.
I didn't say it was on the same wavelength. I said it was worse. And to many, absurdly, it is. I never saw this sort of reaction from players towards people like Ray Lewis or Aaron Hernandez, and they both killed a guy. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it.

I doubt Drew is afraid.. dude is a warrior on that field. Have you ever seen what happens to opposing defensive units after he gets mad?

It was one answer to a single question in a much wider discussion and completely consistent with things he has voiced in the past and the same thing Dak Prescott said 2 years ago. It's out of control.

I kinda hope he retires.
That's partly my fear. That other players will now target Brees on the field. At this point I wish he would've just retired when he thought about it. Honestly I wish he would retire now but he would then be labeled as a quitter and as someone who is "running away" from the problems.

I am sooo over this right now and as much as I was looking forward to football post Covid, it is just a huge downer and I don't see an endgame or happy ending. My feeling on the kneeling issue have changed. I have been in the hospital with my son, so I had hours to read every tweet, article and video. The pain is deep and real and the feelings are so deep and raw. He just didn't get that when he said it. He was unaware. It is tragic to see it all come down to this, but it is all coming down to this. I find it impossible to be excited about football about as much as I was post Katrina. Maybe less. This isn't the only tweet about coming after Brees this season. There are dozens of them, even post apology. The things being said towards him are so raw and deep. It is where we are and this will be a storyline every single game in 2020. Even some of his teammates are saying it isn't over. He is going to have to do a lot to redeem himself. There were chants "f$%%^ Drew Brees" in NOLA protest. I believe no one had more to do with the revival of a city that was dead than he did, but this is where we are. It all comes down to this. That is the magnitude of the issue we are facing right now. That being said, my heart and my head wishes he would retire. There is no happy ending here. No silver lining. Even more, with everything going on, canceling the season wouldn't hurt my feeling at all and I think it would be best considering what we are going through as a country right now. Football just seems a bad idea and a disaster waiting to happen. Like everyone, fans, players, etc. need some sacrifice right now to appreciate it in the future.

Disagree, his teamates have all accepted his apology.

I have just been reading up on things and haven't had a chance to talk to all of them. This is a quote from NBC Sports with Cam Jordan after he spoke with Drew Brees:
"Brees apologized for his insensitive comments Thursday morning, but it's clear his initial words will carry over to the locker room.

"I mean, of course it will," Jordan said. "In our locker room, we hold people accountable. I've already talked to 10 to 12 teammates, and a coach or two, and with the man himself (Brees). You have to put him legitimately in our shoes, and at the same time, I don't want to force feed him. I want to walk in his shoes, too.

"[The national anthem] is a source of pride for him. But he has to know what that act is all about, and what it really represents.""

We can interpret comments like this differently, but when Cam Jordan was asked if his initial words would carry over to the locker room and his response was, "I mean, of course it will", I have to believe that is what he means, which is based on the reactions, even today, even post 2 apologies, emotions are still very deep and very raw.

I think this is going to galvanize the team once the season starts and all of the nonsense is put behind them. Your guy made a mistake but he's still your guy.

I would bet real money that Drew Brees does more for the community, including for POC than this Trayvon Mullen guy has. If actions are louder than words, then Drew’s history in the community should be leading the conversation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom