Guys, here comes they come. (1 Viewer)

unfortunately, Football and all sports will now be a circus. Guys will be put in positions that they have to choose one side or the other. Its seems you can't be on both sides.

And my greater concern is parents and media will have the kids involved also.

From the ProFootballTalk article above:

The reception Brees gets, both from teammates and opponents, will be among the most interesting thing to watch when the NFL season starts.

Just no. We do not have to take the bait of people just trying to stir things up for their own amusement.

Let me see if I can explain it.
  • Drew was asked about kneeling during the N.A.
  • Drew said he'd never disrespect the flag like that. (Never mind that the flag is displayed flat, which isn't exactly "respecting" the flag)
  • The players are kneeling to protest police brutality and systemic racism.
  • One of the core values represented by that flag, is that we can air our grievances and protest injustice in a civil and peaceful manner.
  • Kneeling happens to be civil and peaceful.

That Drew thinks exercising one of the core values that flag represents is "disrespecting" the flag, it is tone deaf.

Yes, Drew's grandparents fought in WWII, just as the grandparents of millions, including the grandparents of black people in the U.S. who came from WWII and still have to use the bathroom for colors.

I like to think that all of those who fought and/or died in WWII, did so to defend the ideals the flag represents, and not so they could be "respected" before a ball game.

Nothing in the above says to me that Drew Brees said anything racist. As a matter of fact, he doesn't just talk about his Grandfathers, he also mentioned that the flag represents all the civil rights activists of the 60's and 70's. Tell me what he said that was racist.

This thread is a perfect example of how it’s so damn hard to make progress. Brees made an insensitive comment about disrespecting the flag (note: nothing he said was directly racist towards anyone’s skin color).

Now after talking with his teammates and community members he realizes the issue with his statement and has since retracted it. TWICE (even to the POTUS for goodness sakes).

And now his apology won’t be accepted? How are we all suposto make a positive change if we don’t allow others to learn and grow new opinions??

How does that help the cause? I just don’t understand.

This thread is a perfect example of how it’s so damn hard to make progress. Brees made an insensitive comment about disrespecting the flag (note: nothing he said was directly racist towards anyone’s skin color).

Now after talking with his teammates and community members he realizes the issue with his statement and has since retracted it. TWICE (even to the POTUS for goodness sakes).

And now his apology won’t be accepted? How are we all suposto make a positive change if we don’t allow others to learn and grow new opinions??

How does that help the cause? I just don’t understand.

Exactly! Black Americans want white Americans to listen to their plight and learn from it. So Drew does just that and makes several statements that he now gets it and he's still a bad guy (even though what he said was nothing racist to begin with). [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
As if playing for a chance at millions of dollars in front of millions of people is not enough incentive to try really hard, now some players are going to play extra hard because they are playing the evil Drew Brees?

Yeah, I just don't see this being bulletin board material by the time September rolls around. Brees messed up. Brees made it right. Opposing players may not love the guy, but half of the players we face will be trying to get his autograph after the game.

As if playing for a chance at millions of dollars in front of millions of people is not enough incentive to try really hard, now some players are going to play extra hard because they are playing the evil Drew Brees?

Yeah, I just don't see this being bulletin board material by the time September rolls around. Brees messed up. Brees made it right. Opposing players may not love the guy, but half of the players we face will be trying to get his autograph after the game.

I'm sure the players who've said as much actually believe what they're saying, but I also think a lot of it has to do with gaming the media. These guys say this stuff publicly, get some media exposure, add some fuel to the fire surround Brees comments and play up to their own fanbase as well as people who might not be all that interested in football but still feel slighted by Brees original comments. Some of our own fans aren't willing to accept his apology at the moment, let alone fans of anyone else and people that only know Drew Brees as some famous athlete who said something a lot of people disagree with right now. It makes a lot of sense and ticks all the boxes from a public image perspective.

I'm with you in that you'd think the pay and opportunity to be in the NFL would be enough. Not to mention wanting to keep your job and get a more lucrative contract whilst you can. When you add that there are plenty of people out there who think Drew is top 5+ all time, of course that guy is going to get your best shot. I imagine when people play any of the other top players/teams in the game they feel that way, but Brees' name is the one drawing headlines related to current events right now.

Who the heck is Trayvon Mullen, and why is he so stupid as to think bulletin board material is a thing?
I was wondering the same thing. And do we even play the Raiders this year? What is football? What is sports? All I know is the inside of my house...

The NFL doesn't have the guts to look into a bountygate situation for this with the Raiders, or any other team that has, or will utilize such tactics against one of the GOATs who happens to play for the SAINTS. Any other team they will have a full blown investigation and suspensions and large fines. Just the SAINTS.

I'm sure the players who've said as much actually believe what they're saying, but I also think a lot of it has to do with gaming the media. These guys say this stuff publicly, get some media exposure, add some fuel to the fire surround Brees comments and play up to their own fanbase as well as people who might not be all that interested in football but still feel slighted by Brees original comments. Some of our own fans aren't willing to accept his apology at the moment, let alone fans of anyone else and people that only know Drew Brees as some famous athlete who said something a lot of people disagree with right now. It makes a lot of sense and ticks all the boxes from a public image perspective.

I'm with you in that you'd think the pay and opportunity to be in the NFL would be enough. Not to mention wanting to keep your job and get a more lucrative contract whilst you can. When you add that there are plenty of people out there who think Drew is top 5+ all time, of course that guy is going to get your best shot. I imagine when people play any of the other top players/teams in the game they feel that way, but Brees' name is the one drawing headlines related to current events right now.
Assuming our players are on board with Brees apology and epiphany, our players may be the ones giving extra effort. Hope so

I hope everyone publicly says they are putting us on their bulletin board because we will then do the same and go 16-0 in the regular season and then 3-0 in post season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom