guys isnt it obvious (1 Viewer)

Superbowl XLII should go down as the game of the Giant's pass rush. Thanks to them they won.
Also thanks to the Pats throwing when they should have been pounding Maroney and keeping their lead.
Strahan and gang abused Brady.

Strahan and gang abused Brady.

And wasn't it a beautiful thing...I kept hoping for the knockout blow to Brady but he hung in there.Yeah that was some 4 man rush with some nice timely blitzes thrown in. Jason Tuck is an animal. We need someone like him.

And wasn't it a beautiful thing...I kept hoping for the knockout blow to Brady but he hung in there.Yeah that was some 4 man rush with some nice timely blitzes thrown in. Jason Tuck is an animal. We need someone like him.

Tuck is a beast... what's crazy is that he's slated to take over for Strahan once he's done... but they play him at DT in pass situations... well pretty much on 2nd and more than 5... and the guy produces.

/justashamlessplugtomoveGranttoDT

man i dont mean to be disrespectful, but i have to read everything you say 3 or 4 times just to understand it :(

can you try putting your sentences together a little better :\

did you mean me ?

Having a good scheme is equally important. Grant and Smith didn't just wake up bad one day.

Yeah, but the Grant and Smith our the only pass rushers, we get no rush from the DT spot or any linebacker...I agree with the original poster, we gotta build that front 7, and get and edge rusher for those passing downs, most likely a tweener DE who isn't big enough to start but provides a good rush (found in later rounds)

Keith Rivers is my pick also for the #10 spot.

Having a good scheme is equally important. Grant and Smith didn't just wake up bad one day.

The Giants took four guys and beat 5 guys. Not just beat the 5 guys - beat them and got to the QB and took the QB down (not sackes in all cases) but took him to the turf.

We have the same scheme (at least I think we do) but rarely if ever do 4 of ours beat 5 of theres.

Is that scheme or personel or both?

I think both but heavily weighted to personel.

The Giants took four guys and beat 5 guys. Not just beat the 5 guys - beat them and got to the QB and took the QB down (not sackes in all cases) but took him to the turf.

We have the same scheme (at least I think we do) but rarely if ever do 4 of ours beat 5 of theres.

Is that scheme or personel or both?

I think both but heavily weighted to personel.

Sooner or later... at least 2 of our 4 guys will need to win their "individual battles" in order to get pressure with 4 guys... the Giants didn't do a whole lot of exotic things with their lines... an occasional twist/stunt... but for the most part the DEs got upfield and beat the OTs, and the interior guys won their inside matchuos... its not scheme... we need our guys to win their battles in the trenches.

Our defensive ends are talented, but I think its pretty obvious that the emphasis on size has really hindered them. They both need to slim down a good bit so they can get back that quickness that they seem to have lost. There's no denying that Will Smith is a very talented player, and Grant to a slightly lesser extent.

Hopefully with the addition of Coach O and his known tastes in smaller, faster linemen they will get their weights down and start attacking more.

Giants "starting" DEs:

Strahan - 6'5", 255 lbs (thats probably understated at this point in his career, but the point is he isn't 290 lbs)

Osi Umenyiora - 6'3", 261 lbs

Justin Tuck - 6'5", 274 lbs

Saints DEs:

Charles Grant - 6'3", 290 lbs (yeah right..much closer to 300-305 lbs)

Will Smith - 6'3", 282 lbs (probably lighter than he really is also)

Point is, they are much lighter on their feet and much more effective pass rushers. Will Smith came into this league much closer to 265 than to 285, if I remember correctly. Grant has gotten bigger every year, although I think he played in college around 270-275, which is still fairly large. He was always a bigger player, but pushing 300lbs is not what you want in a DE.

What about Mario Williams he's 295?

I get what your saying! But I think our problem has more to do with a lack of talent than it does Grant and Smith's weight.

Peppers is 300 lbs. You do need depth, to keep the legs fresh and the pressure relentless.

since it seems hard to trade up this year, i could see them or hope for them trading down to the 15-20 range and getting kentawn balmer and maybe another 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick and get lofton in the second and another lb and corners with the other 3 picks in the first 4 rounds

Sooner or later... at least 2 of our 4 guys will need to win their "individual battles" in order to get pressure with 4 guys... the Giants didn't do a whole lot of exotic things with their lines... an occasional twist/stunt... but for the most part the DEs got upfield and beat the OTs, and the interior guys won their inside matchuos... its not scheme... we need our guys to win their battles in the trenches.
I agree with this 100%.
Watching our guys, they don't even win their one on one matchup.
Not just the DT, that include Grant and Smith who were one on one the majority of the season.

Have you seen that guy Tuck? Whether at DE or DT, he was a force to be reckon with.
That's what you pay big money for..
That's what you expect

As proven last night, a good pass rush makes the secondary better. Samuel was not a probowler last night because the Giants O line was exceptional. All last season i cannot count how many times i saw Smith or Grant about an inch away from a sack. If anybody has the games recorded please count. I know it is horseshoes and hand grenades but really we need speed on defense because the rest can be coached.

All last season i cannot count how many times i saw Smith or Grant about an inch away from a sack. If anybody has the games recorded please count. I know it is horseshoes and hand grenades but really we need speed on defense because the rest can be coached.

I agree. Saw it every game. But it isn't just the sack - we wouldn't even go ahead and hit the QB. At least make the QB pick himself up sometimes. It all starts upfront. It aint rocketscience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom