Hacking worse than rape in the eyes of the law (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Reaction score
https://www.inverse.com/article/20876-steubenville-rape-case-deric-lostutter

Deric Lostutter, 29, could spend a maximum of 16 years behind bars for his alleged role in a hack of a high school football fan website that led to the discovery of tweets and Instagram photos documenting the 2012 sexual assault of a young girl at a party. Ma’lik Richmond and Trent Mays were both convicted, and were sentenced to one and two years in prison, respectively. They’ve both since been released, and as Jack Smith IV noted in a gripping story for Mic, this all seems a little wrong.

https://mic.com/articles/153632/ano...-rape-pleads-not-guilty-to-hacking#.V0ZJFtk7r

"You get 16 years for forcibly entering your way into a computer, but you get 1 year for forcibly entering your way into a woman," Lostutter said. "I think that's the precedent the government is setting here."

Both sides of this seem really wrong.

I wonder if the USC linebacker Masina is going to get more than a year after reading this.

There are all sorts of sentencing incongruities in our justice system. Most of it comes from when you have federal crimes with statutory sentencing compared to state crimes that don't - particularly when they are long-standing crimes (such as rape, battery, manslaughter, etc). There are many examples of weed dealers getting much longer sentences than people who commit manslaughter or even second-degree murder.

Here, you have a a federal cybercrime law contrasted with state rape charges. I'm certainly not saying it is right - I think most reasonable people would agree it doesn't make sense. But that's why it happens. It's not that the same group of lawmakers and judges have actually decided that hacking really is worse than rape.

Those computers just need to learn to keep their inputs together.

It's not that the same group of lawmakers and judges have actually decided that hacking really is worse than rape.
Not the same group, but it's not at all innocent or unaware. Federal lawmakers are well aware of sentencing realities. The choice to make drug crime penalties longer than usual manslaughter or rape sentences was not at all an "oops, we had no idea situation" and neither was the long sentence on this law, though since it was passed under Reagan there was probably no idea it would spread to cover computers held by private citizens and small entities.

As I said, though, I think both sets of sentences are way off on this one, the light half too. Not suggesting statutory sentencing for rapes and murders, but can still be mad about judges not doing right by society.

There are all sorts of sentencing incongruities in our justice system. Most of it comes from when you have federal crimes with statutory sentencing compared to state crimes that don't - particularly when they are long-standing crimes (such as rape, battery, manslaughter, etc). There are many examples of weed dealers getting much longer sentences than people who commit manslaughter or even second-degree murder.

Here, you have a a federal cybercrime law contrasted with state rape charges. I'm certainly not saying it is right - I think most reasonable people would agree it doesn't make sense. But that's why it happens. It's not that the same group of lawmakers and judges have actually decided that hacking really is worse than rape.
What are you, some kinda lawyer or somethin'??

:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom