Halftime Adjustments (Repost from SSF) (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Offensively, the Saints need to get Kamara more involved. It doesn't really matter if it is through the run game or the pass game, but for whatever reason on a lot of those choice routes (vs. man to man) Brees is looking away from him. It's yielded some good possession plays to Michael Thomas, but I'd like to see some of those balls going to Kamara because of the momentum swing he can provide with his run after the catch ability.

The Saints are who they are and the play call ratio doesn't bother me, but I am disappointed that they aren't running more in the red zone. I think Taysom Hill only had one QB snap, and I just didn't see a lot of creativity in the play calling in those situations. When Brees is flushed from the pocket in the red zone, the defense wins.

Protection is good, there's been some separation underneath. Not a lot of balls being pushed down the field and hopefully Ginn and Smith can get more involved. Saints get the ball first in the 2nd half and I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a shot early off of hard play action or maybe even a flea flicker.

No reason to panic at all, but those missed opportunities add up, and that 14 point swing on the red zone INT was painful.

Defensively, that 17 play drive was devastating. The Texans dominated the 2nd half and we have to win the next 10 minutes to counteract that and make a game of it in the 4th quarter.

PJ Williams is eternally frustrating. I get that he's a big beautiful CB body type and they like him in the nickel, but he is constantly out of position and trying to rally late to plays. That 17 play drive got extended because of a penalty on him, and without seeing what happened I'm gonna hedge my bets on him getting stemmed and false stepping and just grabbing jersey.

That TD was also PJ Williams, not Lattimore. They were in Cover 7 (goal line zone coverage) and the #2 WR released inside. That means he should have been carrying underneath the slant as Lattimore was outside leverage playing the fade. He just kinda floated Shallow and Hopkins had an easy 6.

Williams did this crap all last year and they stuck with him, so I don't see him getting the hook... he's just gotta step it up AND STOP BEING A LIABILITY ON 3RD DOWN!

Special teams are doing fine right now, Deonte Harris was really efficient and made good decisions in his punt returns (coverage was good).

Hopefully the Saints get aggressive in 4th a short (they have to get the right look up front), but that wedge conversion by Taysom Hill vs. the Rams... and his punt block vs. the Bucs... were both game changing plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom