Halftime Show (1 Viewer)

I'm not in her legion of fans (I like Single Ladies), but yeah, she's hot, and I've got no problem watching her move.

If you look up the history of halftime shows, the pop acts didn't start until 1991 with New Kids On The Block, nowhere to go but up from there. My two personal favorites were U2 in 2002 and Paul McCartney in 2005. The lowlights of the last 10 years was--of course--the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake poop fest and the Black Eyed Peas. And I'm a rock and roll guy, but I didn't understand Tom Petty as a choice, and he did nothing to change my mind.

Considering they all do the halftime show for free, I'll guess they have a problem getting KISS to do it. Gene is tight.

No diversity. Just black women singing before (Alecia Keys and Jennifer Hudson) and during the game (Beyonce). Even the guitar player and drummer were women.

I don't care about race or gender, but I really was surprised to see such little diversity. Janet Jackson had Justin Timberlake show up with her, Madonna had LM*AO and Nikki Menaj, The Black Eyed Peas had Slash.... When a big pop-act plays (as opposed to an old rock group), there is almost always one or two guest stars and appearances. With Beyonce, I figured that Jay-Z would at least show up, but they just had him rapping on a pre-recorded background track.

Regardless, they all did pretty good jobs of performing, with Alecia Keys doing the best imo. Beyonce is ok, and put on a decent show. For a pop act, she did pretty good. My wife liked it, but I was a little bored by it, and this is probably normal because I normally find her music boring. I've never found myself riding down the road listening to "bootylicious" or such songs. My wife was pretty pleased though, which is good.

Overall, it was pretty good. I was just surprised by the lack of diversity, and I found myself a little bored as there were no "surprises" during the halftime show.

edit: Realistically, I guess all-women makes sense in a weird way since you're watching men play a sport for 3 hours, but it just seemed a little usual to me. The pop-acts almost always have a guest star a two. I guess the rock acts get a pass because they already have like 4-6 famous people (the band) on stage.

i was going to post that, if someone didn't. that halftime was one of my fave halftime performances...had USL friends in it. they combined the MUSIC of the area in general and was thematic and also pitted corps band (USL) against marching band (LSU) against show/dance band (southern?)...was really cool.

i would say that a variety act would be cool...how many people who watch the superbowl are into heavier music and rap...a HUGE demographic...country, classic rock, etc. you can't just target one demographic.

they should mash up like 4 genres each year and have the heavy band doing version of country tune with the hip singer as main voice, have the country version of the hip hop song, etc. mix it up and keep it entertaining for all. if someone loves country, but hates all the other genres, they will at least be entertained hearing a band like metallica playing a hip hop/pop song with willie nelson singing it...lol. that would be novel and cool (maybe not with those artist examples i mentioned, but you get the point!)

It was USL, Nicholls State and Southern that were the three bands. The music you heard was supposed to be USL's band, but instead was the USC band. The guy in charge of the bands was the band director from USC and it appeared to all of us that he had an agenda to have USC be the track that was heard. The one thing he was told to do was to still try to get the USL drumline parts, but when he pulled us aside for that, it was in a crappy area to record the sound (again, we thing on purpose).

One thing that sucked for us was that we weren't allowed to attend any of the game. We were bused in from a local area high school, did the show and were bused back.

But the concept was cool in that it feature things to highlight the area, not just some singer doing a concert.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom