Hall of Fame members threaten boycott of inductions (1 Viewer)

The NFL does still "sell" the older players product. Their careers are celebrated. Their highlights are shown. Their records and stats are compared to the young crop. The NFL is better with the older players and the historic teams being shown as well.

Asking for a share in revenue is a long stretch but maybe that demand will help the older players stick around longer, tell more of their story, and keep the NFLs history alive.

This analogy does not really apply. It's more like actors asking for residuals. The NFL still makes money directly off of the retired players with NFL Films, replays of classic games, merchandise, team promotions, the Hall of Fame and so on.

In your analogy it would be the pizzas of the past asking for money, because the players are the product, always have and always will be.

I would tell a pizza the same thing.

But you have a point about new product lines that use their likeness - that’s sort of like the jerseys and it’s an intellectual property right. And I already agreed the healthcare issue is different.

I was just referring to general revenue sharing.

But working in your pizza joint doesn't end up crippling half the employees long term. Playing in the NFL does.

I don't think it's that outlandish, considering. Put the money into a pool of some kind that can be used to help members whose needs aren't covered by their health insurance or whatever.

Don’t they already have that? I thought that was already established through both the CBA and the ex-player class action settlement. Plus they also have fairly generous pensions if I’m not mistaken.

Honestly more power to them if they can get the nfl negotiate. That’s voluntary and if the league wants to do it, go for it.

I agree. Perhaps some kind of health benefits are appropriate (but don't they already get that)? And don't they already get a pension?

But to illustrate. Let's say you open up a pizza joint and the kitchen and wait staff you hire are awesome. The pizza is really good and everyone likes how friendly and efficient the servers are. In fact, after five years the pizza joint is doing really well and after 15 years, it is a local institution. If, long after they worked there, the original staff come back and demand that you continue to pay them "because your current success is based on our work!", what are you going to tell them? I think I would say that I appreciate the great work you did but I paid you for it and that's how it works.

I'm still waiting on the "illustration", Picasso....

i'm all for this if they will return the rules of football back to when They played. I no longer watch any games but Saints games because of the flags.

I think maybe there is room for discussion on the health care coverage. The share is revenue? No way in hell do those greedy owners give a part of that up. No way at all.

I'd like to know why you say the owners are "greedy"

Perfect ^ Seriously though, this is serious stuff. The NFL is reminding me of the NBA when that league crashed in popularity about a decade ago.
The protests are bad imo, but I’ll keep watching until the players start jumping into the stands and beating up fans. Then I’ll be done just like I quit the NBA.
I think former players deserve some health care, but pretty sure they have retirement plans. Not sure how good they are, but I know my HS buddy was pumped when he got his 7th year punting in the league because of the retirement benefits that came with it.

I so no problem, don’t show up if you don’t want to. The hall of fame game is a farce anyway!

how much good will is left for owners?
they have to have a sense that the next wave of fans - if this is a next wave of fans - expects them to act like human beings

I agree. Perhaps some kind of health benefits are appropriate (but don't they already get that)? And don't they already get a pension?

But to illustrate. Let's say you open up a pizza joint and the kitchen and wait staff you hire are awesome. The pizza is really good and everyone likes how friendly and efficient the servers are. In fact, after five years the pizza joint is doing really well and after 15 years, it is a local institution. If, long after they worked there, the original staff come back and demand that you continue to pay them "because your current success is based on our work!", what are you going to tell them? I think I would say that I appreciate the great work you did but I paid you for it and that's how it works.

The owner takes and has all the liability and risk of ownership; not the employees. As an employee, you are paid to do your job, whatever you hired on for; PERIOD! And if an owner at some point decides you warrant a raise, you will get one. But for a contingent of EX EMPLOYEES to set a demand, because they believe they are entitled, are flat out going down the wrong path. I am not saying that there should be something done, but the stance they are taking form jump, is not the way to go about it. We'll see how this plays out, but I suspect not all to well for those that are boycotting. Afterall, the HOF was built to pay hommage to all of the NFL greats. If some of the entiltled ones opt out of particpating in the yearly festivities, so be it. No loss.

how much good will is left for owners?
they have to have a sense that the next wave of fans - if this is a next wave of fans - expects them to act like human beings

If you examine it, I would suspect that few retirees have anything like what former NFL players get.

Current benefits for retired players:

NFL pension fund pays an average of $3K to almost $6K per month for each year the player played. They also get an annuity.
Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans

Retired players also get a 401K with up to $98k annually in matching from the NFL.
PIOnline : Subscription Center

There is also a healthcare fund from the 2011 CBA that provides for additional monthly payments ostensibly for healthcare but the player can use it however he wants.

And there is a wide range of new health care benefits after the 2011 CBA. Read them, it’s quite comprehensive and the allowable amounts are large.

NFL Benefits - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

And, there's also the $1 billion CTE/brain-injury fund that just about all ex-players qualify for that was reached in the ex-player class action settlement a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
The thing is, they really didn't. They know now, or they should know. But 20 years ago, they absolutely did not.
Bull! Anybody who ever strapped on a helmet knew you could get your brains bashed out or your neck broke.
As far as health care, I buy my own on beans of a salary compared to those guys. And BTW, they got paid to play a game and be heroes and legends. I, like all of you, would've played for free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom