Hamburgers (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think everyone loves hamburgers. I also know that everyone has their own idea of how it's made. My dad for instance through everything in a big bowl, eggs. Worstershire sauce, seasoning etc and made a giant pattie. Then into the pan and made a divot with a spoon. I personally put my seasoning on the outside and sear in a really hot cast iron pan.
Lately I have been reading about smashing the burger and plan on giving that a try.
So what is your secret recipe? What meat do you use? Do you buy already ground or ground your own?

85% chuck medium ground take a quarter pound give it a coating of mccormick's hamburger seasoning and smash the meat down into a thin patty, grilled over med - high heat (400) 5 min rotate patty, 5 min flip patty, 5 min then cut off heat, put cheese on patty.

Serve on a brioche bun toasted with mayo on it from the bottom up: bun bottom, red onion, pickle slices, burger patty, jalapeno slices, over easy fried egg, 4 slices of bacon, tomato, avocado, romaine lettuce, top bun.

85% chuck medium ground take a quarter pound give it a coating of mccormick's hamburger seasoning and smash the meat down into a thin patty, grilled over med - high heat (400) 5 min rotate patty, 5 min flip patty, 5 min then cut off heat, put cheese on patty.

Serve on a brioche bun toasted with mayo on it from the bottom up: bun bottom, red onion, pickle slices, burger patty, jalapeno slices, over easy fried egg, 4 slices of bacon, tomato, avocado, romaine lettuce, top bun.

Holy crap that sounds good.

Sounds good, except lose the egg and the mayo.. replace the mayo with spicy mustard.. and if using cheese as indicated above, you can use cheddar, Swiss, just about anything but for the love of all that’s holy DO NOT use ‘American cheese.’

Sounds good, except lose the egg and the mayo.. replace the mayo with spicy mustard.. and if using cheese as indicated above, you can use cheddar, Swiss, just about anything but for the love of all that’s holy DO NOT use ‘American cheese.’

I am a big fan of pepper jack cheese on my burgers.

Colby Jack for the kids, provolone for the wife, and pepper jack on mine.

We don't bring American Cheese into my home.

I think everyone loves hamburgers. I also know that everyone has their own idea of how it's made. My dad for instance through everything in a big bowl, eggs. Worstershire sauce, seasoning etc and made a giant pattie. Then into the pan and made a divot with a spoon. I personally put my seasoning on the outside and sear in a really hot cast iron pan.
Lately I have been reading about smashing the burger and plan on giving that a try.
So what is your secret recipe? What meat do you use? Do you buy already ground or ground your own?
Only smash a burger while it is cooking if you like dry tasteless meat.

Only smash a burger while it is cooking if you like dry tasteless meat.
I was reading abut the chemical reaction with proteins and a hot grill and they swear it isn't a dry burger. This all started with a customer of mine and some burger chain out there that does nothing but smash their burger. He swears they are crazy juicy.

On the flip side I have a friend that makes stuffed burgers. He makes a flat patty, sits a beer can on it and pulls the meat up. Makes a hollow hockey puck. The fills it with shredded cheese, bacon and grilled onions, then a layer of meat to cap it. They are pretty good but too much work for me.

He said it was the Shake Shack I believe

Hmm.. I’ve been to Shake Shake a couple times and, much like the smaller chain Company Burger- i was very.. underwhelmed.

Another one that underwhelmed me was Steak & Shake.. forget underwhelming, that place was just flat-out not good.. Shake Shack and Company burger were decent enough burgers, just not on the level of all the chatter id heard and read about them.. the grossest ever though has to be Cookout, which i just tried recently and had to throw it out after two bites, b/c it was inedible .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom