Hamilton: Now On Disney Plus! (1 Viewer)

It blew me away. Of course I had known about it and knew there was a great buzz about it. Really other than that, I didn't know much about what to expect. It's an incredible piece of work.

I'd listened to the soundtrack a few times before hand and had already liked it, but it was really great seeing it performed. It just makes me happy to know there is that kind of creativity and genius out there making cool stuff.

I have to say when I first heard some of it when it debuted, I was not a fan. After seeing the show, however, it is very well done and an outstanding achievement. I applaud Miranda's talent and writing.

On the other hand, I wonder why Miranda chose to celebrate Hamilton and at the way he chose to portray his character. He makes Hamilton a LOT more palatable than he was in real life. He also portrays him as an immigrant when technically he wasn't since St. Croix was an equal part of the British Colonies to the rest of the States. He akes him appear to be a champion of common people when, in fact, Hamilton was an elitist.

Mostly, though, that he portrays this man who was a slave trader as a dedicated abolitionist is what is really head-scratching to me. I don't get that at all.

Even so, it's a really well crafted musical and highly enjoyable.

I enjoyed seeing it at the Saenger, and enjoyed it again watching it with the kids on Friday and Saturday (we had a kid meltdown and ruined it for the rest of the kids). Great music, great use of space on the stage.

I read Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (Which is what LMM used as his source material) a few months after watching the play, and while I was listening the the soundtrack afterwards. I think LMM did a solid job of telling the story. He could have made it longer and I wouldn’t have complained.

LMM has the Midus touch. From “In the Heights” to “Hamilton” to “Mary Poppins” To “Moana” the guy is amazing. I hope he is writing and creating as much as possible before he flames out like Will Farrell or Adam Sandler.

This show in particular or musical theater in general?
Well, probably a lot in general, but nothing about the music in this one jumps out at me as particularly special. There aren't really any melodies that stick out or get stuck in your head.

Well, probably a lot in general, but nothing about the music in this one jumps out at me as particularly special. There aren't really any melodies that stick out or get stuck in your head.
I know what you mean, but for me it was more about the storytelling and the way it was all brought together than the melodies, though I did enjoy that a well.

I felt the same way about Dear Evan Hansen and The Book of Mormon. I appreciate and enjoy each song in Hamilton, but I have had folks at work say they couldn’t get into Hamilton (but loved Miss Saigon (another musical I will never understand).

Did I read this correctly that it wasn't going to be released until October of 2021? I know that the article said that but to have something ready 16 months in advance that you would be sitting on that people are craving makes no sense to me. That article had to of meant 2020.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom