Hand Sanitizer prices (1 Viewer)

egautr1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So I am a teacher and was looking to buy some supplies for my classroom and so I went on Amazon to buy some hand sanitizer as I am almost out. So I go look at them and most are unavailable or super over-priced.
So I did a quick google search and came across articles like the one below explaining the price gouging that is going on from 3rd party sellers.

In the article it mentioned this:
A check of the website on Tuesday evening revealed several listings averaging around $40 for an eight-ounce bottle of Purell, over ten times the typical price. One listing offered a case of 12 one-ounce bottles for $3,892.84, which equals just over $324 per ounce.

This is ridiculous!! How is this not price gouging? as I thought that was illegal? Maybe some of the legal minds on here can explain how they are able to do this in times of emergencies.
I haven't looked but I read it is the same for the medical Masks and disinfectants.

So this is precisely what I was worried about with the spread of this virus. I am not so scared of the virus itself, I am more scared or worried about the actions of dumb and over-reacting people causing a panic on things like this. I fear this might just be the beginning. Is it only a matter of time before this spreads to other basic necessities like toilet paper (which I heard is already in short supply), bottle water, food, etc.

I don't trust the general populace in this country to do what's right for others and to think about people other than themselves. Anybody else feel this way?? SMH....

So I am a teacher and was looking to buy some supplies for my classroom and so I went on Amazon to buy some hand sanitizer as I am almost out. So I go look at them and most are unavailable or super over-priced.
So I did a quick google search and came across articles like the one below explaining the price gouging that is going on from 3rd party sellers.

This is ridiculous!! How is this not price gouging? as I thought that was illegal? Maybe some of the legal minds on here can explain how they are able to do this in times of emergencies.
I haven't looked but I read it is the same for the medical Masks and disinfectants.

So this is precisely what I was worried about with the spread of this virus. I am not so scared of the virus itself, I am more scared or worried about the actions of dumb and over-reacting people causing a panic on things like this. I fear this might just be the beginning. Is it only a matter of time before this spreads to other basic necessities like toilet paper (which I heard is already in short supply), bottle water, food, etc.

I don't trust the general populace in this country to do what's right for others and to think about people other than themselves. Anybody else feel this way?? SMH....
pretty dumb.

you could also try sams or costco, if you can. the costco in br had the big bottles of sanitizer 2 days ago.

i hear ya.

on a side note...i read a Twitter thread last night on toilet paper.

apparently the Australian term is "poo tickets" lololol.

On a related note.....do you use a class app like bloom? If so put a request out for hand sanitizer and I'm sure more than a few parents will step up and supply it. I know I have zero problems sending things into my kids rooms. No way the teachers should be out of pocket for supplies like that.

pretty dumb.

you could also try sams or costco, if you can. the costco in br had the big bottles of sanitizer 2 days ago.

Yeah I agree. I usually just get the big one from Sam's club for like $6 but haven't had a chance to get over there just for one bottle of hand sanitizer and it's only sold in stores. will try to swing by the one in covington.

Price gouging is good. It helps for a better distribution of scarce goods.

Please explain. Or maybe I just didn't pick up the sarcasm....o_O

On a related note.....do you use a class app like bloom? If so put a request out for hand sanitizer and I'm sure more than a few parents will step up and supply it. I know I have zero problems sending things into my kids rooms. No way the teachers should be out of pocket for supplies like that.

I don't use an app like that. I will look into it though. I have a teacher website where I posted a message asking for kleenex and hand sanitzer but only a few have brought something in, and I work in a pretty affluent area.

Now I get $100 from my school for supplies and things from the classroom. But I have to purchase it myself and then get reimbursed from the district. So I try to spend all the money in one place so I only have one receipt to turn in.
But yes, I think it's ridicoulous I have to spend the little money I get on supplies on things like tissues and hand sanitizer. That stuff should be standard in every classroom in the country and supplied by the school. But we all know how much this country and particularly this State feels about public education.....?

Please explain. Or maybe I just didn't pick up the sarcasm....o_O

Lots of good stuff written about it.

Lots of good stuff written about it.

From the first link.

It means that those who most urgently desire goods will be able to get them — they won't just show up at stores and find nothing left for them. Those who less urgently desire these goods have a guide for rational economic calculation. Some will find the new prices make the consumption of the good less beneficial than foregoing it and purchasing some other, cheaper substitute.

I'd like to know if they've taken into account the rise or reselling online. It happens with sporting events and so to with needed items. Someone sees an opportunity to resell at an outrageous price and therefore stocks up in the early stages of a coming event. They reduce the supply for others and then profit by holding them for ransom.

TL;DR sounds like a bunch of money centric explanation for being a pretty shirtty human being by profiting off of others suffering.

From the first link.

TL;DR sounds like a bunch of money centric explanation for being a pretty shirtty human being by profiting off of others suffering.

It does sound like that, and politicians push that narrative, but if you read the explanation it makes sense and you can see its not that at all.

Hand "Sanitizer" is essentially 70% ETOH. Might as well buy a bottle of Vodka or Everclear and an aloe plant to keep your skin from drying out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom