Handgun Hunting (1 Viewer)

OhioSaintsFan

He didn't make it
Reaction score
Ohio has some odd laws, but our DNR does allow handgun hunting. 5-inch (min) barrel, straight-walled cartridges and .357 or larger are the only restrictions.

So, I lucked out and picked up an old Ruger Security Six in .357 essentially just for this purpose. Needs a little cosmetic work, but I ran 100 rounds through it today and I really like how it handles as is. I'd like to replace these Pachmayr grips, but that's another story.

I like to stalk when I hunt (bored in a tree stand), so I think this will suit me more than a cumbersome rifle or shotgun.

Anyway, has anyone hunted using only a handgun? Do you use a scope? Do you have any other tidbits of advice?

Seems that you'd need to be in a stand to let one walk into good pistol range. Never done it, but know someone who has with a .44 Good luck.

There's always the option of a Glock 20. 10mm is a great round. Throw in a 6 1/2 inch Lone Wolf barrel & you're set. You can even buy a threaded so you can screw on a brake.

Double Tap makes great ammo, BTW. They have a large selection of 10mm, including heavy cast bullets from Buffalo Bore (I believe).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom