Happy 70th birthday to Ric Flair! (1 Viewer)

To be the man
You gotta beat the man

Often imitated
Seldom duplicated
Wooooooooooo

Okay, since I haven't seen too many SR posters bring this up in past wrestling threads, it's no secret Bret Hart had and still has a long-running feud with Flair dating back to the early 90's when Flair came to the WWE and Hart had long heard rumors that Flair was this electrifying, sensational technical wrestler.

In his view, Flair was a one-dimensional, "routine" type of wrestler where he wasn't inventive, didn't try to make his matches count with Hart as much Bret thought they should. He didn't like his elitist, superior attitude to him and a lot of WWF wrestlers backstage at shows. So, according to Hart, after he won the WWF Title from Flair in 1992, he had to basically tell Flair to shut up one night before a major main event show at MSG AND explain how their match was going to unfold. Flair allegedly got so upset he threatened Bret he wouldn't show up and went to complain to Vince McMahon, who unbeknownst to Flair, had gotten more then little fed up with his diva-like antics and firmly told him his match with Hart was going to happen the way Bret had already said it would.

For whatever reasons, those two never got along and still don't, IIRC. IMHO, It's partly a feud based on perception, actual technical ring-skills matched up against reality. Flair, as his long career shows, was capable of some LEGENDARY matches like vs. Harley Race at Starrcade 83, his two matches with Ricky Steamboat in 1989 are epic, his feuds vs. Terry Funk at different points in their careers were brutal, nasty, violent and unforgettable. There's no question, at his best, Flair can produce epic, legendary bouts that can equally mesmerize and amaze wrestling fans.

Sometimes Flair's matches didn't always live up to the notoriety and excitement that some of his previous matches did. Maybe Bret Hart saw the hype surrounding Flair didn't always match up with reality, something with those two never clicked and over the years, it went from professional disagreement to personal attacks. I believe Hart hates Flair now more then he ever hated HBK, at least he made up with Michaels mostly over the Montreal Screwjob fiasco. Something that if you had told me was possible two decades ago at this time, I would've called you delusional.

I just would love to know why two of the most successful, technically efficient wrestlers of their generation have this unfathomable hatred for each other.

Last edited:
Okay, since I haven't seen too many SR posters bring this up in past wrestling threads, it's no secret Bret Hart had and still has a long-running feud with Flair dating back to the early 90's when Flair came to the WWE and Hart had long heard rumors that Flair was this electrifying, sensational technical wrestler.

In his view, Flair was a one-dimensional, "routine" type of wrestler where he wasn't inventive, didn't try to make his matches count with Hart as much Bret thought they should. He didn't like his elitist, superior attitude to him and a lot of WWF wrestlers backstage at shows. So, according to Hart, after he won the WWF Title from Flair in 1992, he had to basically tell Flair to shut up one night before a major main event show at MSG AND explain how their match was going to unfold. Flair allegedly got so upset he threatened Bret he wouldn't show up and went to complain to Vince McMahon, who unbeknownst to Flair, had gotten more then little fed up with his diva-like antics and firmly told him his match with Hart was going to happen the way Bret had already said it would.

For whatever reasons, those two never got along and still don't, IIRC. IMHO, It's partly a feud based on perception, actual technical ring-skills matched up against reality. Flair, as his long career shows, was capable of some LEGENDARY matches like vs. Harley Race at Starrcade 83, his two matches with Ricky Steamboat in 1989 are epic, his feuds vs. Terry Funk at different points in their careers were brutal, nasty, violent and unforgettable. There's no question, at his best, Flair can produce epic, legendary bouts that can equally mesmerize and amaze wrestling fans.

Sometimes Flair's matches didn't always live up to the notoriety and excitement that some of his previous matches did. Maybe Bret Hart saw the hype surrounding Flair didn't always match up with reality, something with those two never clicked and over the years, it went from professional disagreement to personal attacks. I believe Hart hates Flair now more then he ever hated HBK, at least he made up with Michaels mostly over the Montreal Screwjob fiasco. Something that if you had told me was possible two decades ago at this time, I would've called you delusional.

I just would love to know why two of the most successful, technically efficient wrestlers of their generation have this unfathomable hatred for each other.
dude. why are there spaces in your text?
;)

I stopped watching wrestling long ago, but an earlier post mentioned Bret Hart, and I thought about a documentary I saw a while back. Though I had stopped caring for wrestling years before I saw it, I found it a fascinating look into what is basically a circus life. I noticed it is free on Youtube.

Stu Hart seemed like creepy sadist. I'm glad he didn't raise me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom