Happy Lupercalia (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The Dark Origins Of Valentine's Day : NPR

From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.

The Roman romantics "were drunk. They were naked," says Noel Lenski, a historian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Young women would actually line up for the men to hit them, Lenski says. They believed this would make them fertile.

The brutal fete included a matchmaking lottery, in which young men drew the names of women from a jar. The couple would then be, um, coupled up for the duration of the festival — or longer, if the match was right.

Apparently, Valentine's used to be much more than just buying flowers or a card.

my girl and i don't do the slaughter part, but we do flog

I'm no flogging expert, but is getting hit with a blood soaked animal hide (recently killed) really that brutal? Wouldn't it be closer to getting hit with a warm, wet towel than actually being flogged?

Anyone with any real-life experience?

I'm no flogging expert, but is getting hit with a blood soaked animal hide (recently killed) really that brutal? Wouldn't it be closer to getting hit with a warm, wet towel than actually being flogged?

Sorry, I don't flog and tell.

Hmmm.....Shirley Jackson could have made that story so much more fun.

oohhhh...you take the animal out of the hide?
that makes much more sense

Valentine tips from Nick Offerman. "You're going for a ride to the realm of coitus."

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IImEd__4sGU" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom