Happy Pride Month! (1 Viewer)

I think it was when I kept getting picked on by the other gay guys for doing things like not having guest towels, wearing a brown belt with black shoes, etc.

Seriously, I think you may be shadow boxing. Views have changed drastically.
Are you arguing that gays are fully accepted socially & legally?
Or is this just another in your pattern of ‘it is marginally better for such and such group, so they should quit complaining and be thankful ‘?

I decided a few years back to just come clean. I do not find Diana Ross’ music appalling. In fact it’s soothing. I don’t know what it means but I’m not living the lie anymore.

I’m all seriousness though, there is nothing more tragic to me than a person living their whole life pretending to be what others expect them to be. You only get one life; let others be fully alive as what they are.

PS: The village people are not a thing that anyone should be proud of (even those like myself who think the 80s was the greatest decade). There are limits to everything. We should admit they happened only so future generations can have closure on the Britney Spears and Justin Beabers of the world.

Last edited:
No one on this board knows my sexuality or sexual preferences and you know what? That is 100% acceptable and doesn't make a difference in any discussion that I have ever had on this message board.

I understand that "pride month's" are for awareness but you don't need a special month to be proud. You should be proud of who you are everyday. Black, White, Purple, Indian, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Gay, Straight, Bi or Tri....be proud of who you are. I have said this numerous times on this message board, people don't need to agree with you or your lifestyle or opinion but people should acknowledge and respect them.

Good luck and much love to everyone dealing with every issue that effects you personally each day.

Don't @ me, re-read what I said.

Are you arguing that gays are fully accepted socially & legally?
Or is this just another in your pattern of ‘it is marginally better for such and such group, so they should quit complaining and be thankful ‘?

No, I am not saying that everyone accepts them fully.

I do like the way you framed our disagreement in your second sentence though. You believe that things are only marginally better. I think attitudes have changed significantly.

I do like the way you framed our disagreement in your second sentence though. You believe that things are only marginally better. I think attitudes have changed significantly.
Depending on perspective both could be true
A poor person could double their money and still be poor

Attitudes have changed. Socially, we've come a long way.

But to suggest that nolaspe's comment was "shadow boxing" is objectively and demonstrably incorrect and marginalizes the real, not made-up experiences of hate, discrimination, homophobia, violence, etc that a lot of homosexual people go through every day. Or that closeted homosexuals have to go through because of those real - not made up - experiences that keep them closeted.

It's okay to say we've come a long way and, at the same time, still have a long way to go.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Attitudes have changed. Socially, we've come a long way.

But to suggest that nolaspe's comment was "shadow boxing" is objectively and demonstrably incorrect and marginalizes the real, not made-up experiences of hate, discrimination, homophobia, violence, etc that a lot of homosexual people go through every day. Or that closeted homosexuals have to go through because of those real - not made up - experiences that keep them closeted.

It's okay to say we've come a long way and, at the same time, still have a long way to go.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Nolapse was calling out those who believe that being gay is a choice. I may have missed where someone expressed that opinion in this thread, but I don't think he has an actual opponent here on that issue. Hence, my shadowboxing reference.

I think it's true that attitudes have changed significantly - at least if you're talking about time across decades and when you limit it to sexual orientation (the situation for transgendered people continues to be fairly hostile). But being generally accepted to the point where it may appear to be a non-issue in many applications doesn't mean that there aren't situations or locations that continue to bring systematic discrimination against them. And without legal protections, that discrimination is allowed to persist (and even be encouraged in some instances).

With the exception of marriage, sexual orientation is still not protected under federal law, including employment (Title VII) and public-accommodations law. Some states have enacted those protections, but many have not and there's no federal backstop. In many states you can fire an employee for being gay or refuse to hire a gay applicant, with none of the legal repercussions that come with firing someone for their race, religion, national origin, or gender, which are protected under federal employment discrimination law (Title VII). And in many states, you can refuse to let a gay couple stay at your hotel - or refuse gays at your restaurant . . . there is no federal prohibition for that conduct like there is for race, religion, or national origin. Note that federal public accommodations law does not prohibit discrimination based on gender.

This year, the Supreme Court is going to consider whether Title VII's gender protection (presented in terms of "sex") includes sexual orientation. In the LGBT community, this is an event with tremendous implication - it will either be celebrated as a watershed moment for LGBT rights in America, or it will be a devastating disappointment.

I’d be interested in hearing the opinions of those who gave a negative review of this thread. Why?

I looked back on this thread and almost everyone supports you. There were couple of ignorant posts.

My stupid "man crush" posts were a way of showing that no one should be afraid of their sexuality.

If you get a negative response, I'm sure it will be fear based.

I am Happy and Thankful that I live under a Flag that provides the Freedom for People to live their lives as they so choose, and I support that. Thank You Veterans...

I fully 100% support the LBGT community that they have the right to live their lives happily, peaceably and free from all harm, as long as their personal lifestyle is not forced or thrust upon others for special recognitions.

God Bless America...

USA FLag.gif
Hateful views as always. You don't have anything nice to say, and yet you thrust your bile on us and the world. Happy Pride!

I am Happy and Thankful that I live under a Flag that provides the Freedom for People to live their lives as they so choose, and I support that. Thank You Veterans...

I fully 100% support the LBGT community that they have the right to live their lives happily, peaceably and free from all harm, as long as their personal lifestyle is not forced or thrust upon others for special recognitions.

God Bless America...

USA FLag.gif
Thrust huh? :gayheh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom