Happy Pride Month! (1 Viewer)

The ideas are what were described as hateful
The bile was uncategorized

Still feels a bit too far. It doesn't feel like a commensurate (or proportionate,if you prefer) response.

Don't really want to get into a linguistics discussion, but.... Hate, Bigotry, Intolerance, Avoidance, bias, close-minded, incurious, hidebound, or even an Ostrich.

You could put those words together in a Venn diagram of sorts, and Hate would likely be an outlier. There is some connection, but the others are far more related.

Still feels a bit too far. It doesn't feel like a commensurate (or proportionate,if you prefer) response.

Don't really want to get into a linguistics discussion, but.... Hate, Bigotry, Intolerance, Avoidance, bias, close-minded, incurious, hidebound, or even an Ostrich.

You could put those words together in a Venn diagram of sorts, and Hate would likely be an outlier. There is some connection, but the others are far more related.
i was neither supporting not denying just well actuallying - which we all enjoy, no?

I always like playing the ‘insert a more relatable concept’ game, just to see if what is being said would be taken differently in a context that isnt what the majority of the population is used to hearing.

“As long as your Christian lifestyle is not forced upon others for special recognitions, I respect your right to live in peace”.

Somehow I feel a bit more of a nerve is struck in that instance.

Carry on.

I always like playing the ‘insert a more relatable concept’ game, just to see if what is being said would be taken differently in a context that isnt what the majority of the population is used to hearing.

“As long as your Christian lifestyle is not forced upon others for special recognitions, I respect your right to live in peace”.

Somehow I feel a bit more of a nerve is struck in that instance.

Carry on.

It isn’t the worst sentiment in the world. Partial victories can still be victories.

I believe that's exactly what I said right there..
but joe, what really is the point of saying that?
do you fear a gay lifestyle being forced on you?

like the drag queen stuff, you seem to be fearful of things that will have exactly zero impact on your life

Last edited:
I believe that's exactly what I said right there..

Fair enough. I just don’t think that gay people are ‘forcing’ anything on anyone. I don’t know of any great special privileges gay people get that straight people don’t. I mean..We all get married and can relate to the suffering

After spending most of US history hiding who they are and being persecuted for it), it's a beautiful thing that we can have an institution to safeguard a minority population.

I have an ongoing inner debate whether MLK tactics are as effective as Malcolm X tactics. Though I aspire to the gentle way (the high road?) I just don't have faith it's as effective, especially these days.

After spending most of US history hiding who they are and being persecuted for it), it's a beautiful thing that we can have an institution to safeguard a minority population.

I have an ongoing inner debate whether MLK tactics are as effective as Malcolm X tactics. Though I aspire to the gentle way (the high road?) I just don't have faith it's as effective, especially these days.

Interesting you say that. I was thinking the same basic idea (MLK v Malcom X) while I was listening to a group of transgendered people talk on NPR (I didn't catch which specific program). Clearly there is a divide in the trans community, but there is definitely a divide (and has been for decades) in the Gay/Lesbian/Bi - Trans/Q/etc. LGB's have historically tried to advance "gay rights" without including the trans community, because they were focused on image and acceptance. Trans are far more marginalized, far more often victims of crimes, jailed, etc.

So, with all that swirling in my head, I started thinking about marketing and building a coalition. Any and all groups need allies to get things done. But, they also often need a watershed moment. A defining point. Like the March on Washington for Civil Rights. Along with others. But to get sustained movement, you need allies to join your cause. Too often, I see groups, especially those easily offended by using imprecise/imperfect language, then turning on people that are allies, but just a touch ignorant.

I'm not sure how much Malcolm X accomplished, but one quote I totally agree with. (paraphrasing a bit). 'The white man and the negro need to be able to sit together at the same table and talk. The white man has to feel free to speak his mind and not hurt the feelings of that negro and the negro needs to be able to speak his mind and not hurt the feelings of that white man'

But, often, I see the Malcolm X approach leading to the public to see them as aggressors and a problem, vs the MLK approach, where you see people being steadfast or victims, and then most people want to support and help victims.

Heck, there was talk the other day by some in the media about how in the US we really sanitize our news, when it comes to violence. You don't see the bloody victims of mass shootings. If they showed the pictures of those poor Sandy Hook kids, do you really think so many would just ignore it and stick to the status quo?

Sometimes we need to be shocked into a decision/action. But, you can also shock people the wrong way.

His consistent intolerance is indeed hateful. That you don't see it that way doesn't make it not to some or many.

Keep labeling anyone who disagrees with you in the slightest as "hateful". That strategy is playing out so well.

It's like when the actress made vagina themed cupcakes to celebrate Women's day and all hell broke out because she "wrongfully" assumed that all women have vaginas.

I am sure those who screamed at her did so in the name of "tolerance.".

Interesting you say that. I was thinking the same basic idea (MLK v Malcom X) while I was listening to a group of transgendered people talk on NPR (I didn't catch which specific program). Clearly there is a divide in the trans community, but there is definitely a divide (and has been for decades) in the Gay/Lesbian/Bi - Trans/Q/etc. LGB's have historically tried to advance "gay rights" without including the trans community, because they were focused on image and acceptance. Trans are far more marginalized, far more often victims of crimes, jailed, etc.

So, with all that swirling in my head, I started thinking about marketing and building a coalition. Any and all groups need allies to get things done. But, they also often need a watershed moment. A defining point. Like the March on Washington for Civil Rights. Along with others. But to get sustained movement, you need allies to join your cause. Too often, I see groups, especially those easily offended by using imprecise/imperfect language, then turning on people that are allies, but just a touch ignorant.

I'm not sure how much Malcolm X accomplished, but one quote I totally agree with. (paraphrasing a bit). 'The white man and the negro need to be able to sit together at the same table and talk. The white man has to feel free to speak his mind and not hurt the feelings of that negro and the negro needs to be able to speak his mind and not hurt the feelings of that white man'

But, often, I see the Malcolm X approach leading to the public to see them as aggressors and a problem, vs the MLK approach, where you see people being steadfast or victims, and then most people want to support and help victims.

Heck, there was talk the other day by some in the media about how in the US we really sanitize our news, when it comes to violence. You don't see the bloody victims of mass shootings. If they showed the pictures of those poor Sandy Hook kids, do you really think so many would just ignore it and stick to the status quo?

Sometimes we need to be shocked into a decision/action. But, you can also shock people the wrong way.
Thanks. These are excellent points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom