Happy Problematic Holidays! (1 Viewer)

Have you read or watched the story/movies? Do you realize the whole point of the movie is to illustrate was those behaviors are wrong? I mean, I'm really confused by this one.
Yes I have. Tuesday night after dinner while drinking a scotch. Very much enjoyed both the scotch and one of my yearly traditions thank you very much.

Don't forget to add People outraged because Kevin Hart had a Cowboy and Indian themed birthday party for his son.
So problematic! Speaking of Kevin Hart, he was recently pressured to step down from hosting the Oscars because of a nearly decade old joke on his twitter account that triggered moral outrage from SJW team, ironically the same crowd who had just joined the #OscarsSoWhite crusade a year earlier. So problematic!

So problematic! Speaking of Kevin Hart, he was recently pressured to step down from hosting the Oscars because of a nearly decade old joke on his twitter account that triggered moral outrage from SJW team, ironically the same crowd who had just joined the #OscarsSoWhite crusade a year earlier. So problematic!
wasn't the joke but the non-apology apology

There was a time when people in Louisiana wouldn’t care if a radio station in NYC or California pulled a song. Most of us wouldn’t even know.

We’ve nationalized everything these days. How about we let California be California and Shreveport be Shreveport. As long as no one’s rights are being violated, we should save our outrage.

Wow his apology was problematic too? So problematic!

Ps according to comedy legends it’s a rule that you never apologize for a joke. Comedians are supposed to offend people.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a29878/joan-rivers-power-of-not-apologizing/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/jerry-seinfeld-doesnt-apologize-for-jokes-and-hes-right?_amp=true
no, they're not supposed to offend that could be a 'productive' byproduct but going up with the aim of offending is not the point
'challenging perspectives' is probably the greatest lasting value of comedy
and once the perspective has changed then that particular comedy is as timely as Henny Youngman jokes

What Seinfeld and similar comedians are complaining about is really just the Billy Joel effect they want to still be relevant artists but the genre has passed them by and their chief value is to do their comedic version of 'Piano Man'

it's why Chapelle is so compelling (and Richard Pryor before him) is that he did his walk in the wilderness and came back with new perspective

no, they're not supposed to offend that could be a 'productive' byproduct but going up with the aim of offending is not the point
'challenging perspectives' is probably the greatest lasting value of comedy
and once the perspective has changed then that particular comedy is as timely as Henny Youngman jokes

What Seinfeld and similar comedians are complaining about is really just the Billy Joel effect they want to still be relevant artists but the genre has passed them by and their chief value is to do their comedic version of 'Piano Man'

it's why Chapelle is so compelling (and Richard Pryor before him) is that he did his walk in the wilderness and came back with new perspective
Dave Chappelle is so problematic though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/arts/television/dave-chappelle-netflix-special.amp.html

www.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/03/dave-chappelle-rape-jokes

http://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...on-is-the-pursey-joke-off-limits-in-2018/amp/

If somehow you haven’t figured this out by now, the snake is eating it’s tail. The real joke here is that the Oscars tried to hire a black man in response to #OscarsSoWhite criticism, but even the most mainstream black comedian is brought down by SJW outrage.

What I have figured out is that different people have different opinions
I have also figured out that some people from ‘marginalized communities ‘ or who have coopted messages from ‘marginalized communities’ have figured out how to shout loud enough to be heard
I also know that many people who defend the status quo or who are regressive themselves like to mountain the molehill and pretend that there aren’t real problems out there

Last edited:
What I have figured out is that different people have different opinions
I have also figured out that some people from ‘marginalized communities ‘ or who have coopted messages from ‘marginalized communities’ have figured out how to shout loud enough to be heard
I also know that many people who defend the status who or who are regressive themselves like to mountain the molehill and pretend that there aren’t real problems out there
The ones shouting are people like you. You are a white male, you aren’t marginalized. It’s people like you who enable punishing Kevin Hart over a decade old joke.

Unfortunately with the internet now what people did 10-20 years ago is still out there easy to pull up to refresh or rehash an argument. Before, comedy was there and gone, or was recorded and shown on TV. Now you have all the tweets, video clippings on YouTube whatever which exist in eternity.

Hart is right though. Are we as a society going to judge a 40 year old man by his 20 year old self? To me I agree with him. Comedians by the nature of what they do are not correct and use language and topics which of course will offend someone. A 20 year old comedian is also going to have much more of an edge than one who is trying to go commercial in their 40s while trying to something as mainstream, boring and snobbish as an awards ceremony.

We also have to look at the timeframe those words were said. Just because somebody somewhere right now will get offended by something and raise a stink on social media doesn’t mean 10-15 years ago this humor wasn’t common. Do we always need to drag this out of the cellar of time to go gotcha? I dunno. Society really needs to chill out right now.

Unfortunately with the internet now what people did 10-20 years ago is still out there easy to pull up to refresh or rehash an argument. Before, comedy was there and gone, or was recorded and shown on TV. Now you have all the tweets, video clippings on YouTube whatever which exist in eternity.

Hart is right though. Are we as a society going to judge a 40 year old man by his 20 year old self? To me I agree with him. Comedians by the nature of what they do are not correct and use language and topics which of course will offend someone. A 20 year old comedian is also going to have much more of an edge than one who is trying to go commercial in their 40s while trying to something as mainstream, boring and snobbish as an awards ceremony.

We also have to look at the timeframe those words were said. Just because somebody somewhere right now will get offended by something and raise a stink on social media doesn’t mean 10-15 years ago this humor wasn’t common. Do we always need to drag this out of the cellar of time to go gotcha? I dunno. Society really needs to chill out right now.

I agree, but I think most of the time, when people own their past selves, we don’t punish them for it, at least not for long.

It’s when they try to excuse, or minimize how it makes or made other people feel.

Just say, “I was stupid, I have a different perspective now.” But mean it. People can tell when someone is being genuine and when they aren’t.

Kevin Hart’s apology was clearly a defensive attempt to save his hosting gig. I don’t think he feel much different about gay people than he did when he made those jokes. His apology sure didn’t make me feel like he’s grown.

I agree, but I think most of the time, when people own their past selves, we don’t punish them for it, at least not for long.

It’s when they try to excuse, or minimize how it makes or made other people feel.

Just say, “I was stupid, I have a different perspective now.” But mean it. People can tell when someone is being genuine and when they aren’t.

Kevin Hart’s apology was clearly a defensive attempt to save his hosting gig. I don’t think he feel much different about gay people than he did when he made those jokes. His apology sure didn’t make me feel like he’s grown.

I guess I missed where he apologized in an effort to save his "gig." It could have happened and I am not aware of it.

What I am aware of is that he said he was not going to apologize because he has addressed it in the past and if he can't do the Oscars then so be it. And then he issued an apology to the LGBQTWHSTEVES community but also said he would not be doing the Oscars.

Is there one that I am missing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom