Happy Problematic Holidays! (1 Viewer)

Society really needs to chill out right now.

That's the issue.. Not weather some comedian makes a gay joke or not and gets called to the carpet...

Like the Woman who became offended because Hobby Lobby had a fake cotton plant as a display. https://nypost.com/2017/09/18/woman-freaks-out-over-hobby-lobbys-raw-cotton-display/

Where is that Politically Correct thread. To me that's what this is all about. This PC thing has just gotten out of hand... But with that said. I don't believe there is any stopping it with today's technology... Once upon a time a story had to hit the news to make an outcry... Because if you saw something and went PC on it.. That's it... It never left your house and know one would see your outrage... Today. You just snap a pic and put it on FB or Twitter and Millions have the chance to see it instant. Bam- Your famous.

How long before someone says we need to take Mexican out of Mexican food or Italian out of Italian food because we need our food to be Racially Neutral? My bet it won't be long.

Last edited:
That's the issue.. Not weather some comedian makes a gay joke or not and gets called to the carpet...

Like the Woman who became offended because Hobby Lobby had a fake cotton plant as a display. https://nypost.com/2017/09/18/woman-freaks-out-over-hobby-lobbys-raw-cotton-display/

Where is that Politically Correct thread. To me that's what this is all about. This PC thing has just gotten out of hand... But with that said. I don't believe there is any stopping it with today's technology... Once upon a time a story had to hit the news to make an outcry... Because if you saw something and went PC on it.. That's it... It never left your house and know one would see your outrage... Today. You just snap a pic and put it on FB or Twitter and Millions have the chance to see it instant. Bam- Your famous.

How long before someone says we need to take Mexican out of Mexican food or Italian out of Italian food because we need our food to be Racially Neutral? My bet it won't be long.

One woman mad about cotton...

It shouldn’t even be part of the national discourse.

None of us should have an opinion about one lady getting mad about Cotton, but because we are over saturated with media, we fight about it.

Sonehow, which season greeting you choose is political, what you think about a single customer being offended by a display is political, whether you watch the NFL or not is political...

Our politics has metastasized. Our society needs chemo.

A while back you indicated it was appropriate to tell minority children that they will have to work twice as hard as white children to achieve half as much.

I seriously believe that is problematic.
if i remember correctly, i was quoting my wife who had that buzzed into her head for very obvious reasons
and it's 'truth' has been hard to ignore for her, her colleagues and family

but if you'd like me to relay your message, i'll be happy to

One woman mad about cotton...

None of us should have an opinion about one lady getting mad about Cotton, but because we are over saturated with media, we fight about it.

she makes her molehill mountain and then Joe gets to make his.

Everybody should be happy, because he/she is getting what he/she wants, except nobody seems to be

I have to agree with you... But this is what I think makes it the real problem...

That story was picked up by the NY Post, Fox News and countless local tv stations. That's the problem.

she makes her molehill mountain and then Joe gets to make his.

Excuse me! But I am not the Program director of a News Network choosing to run this story on a National Level. As well as these other 4 new outrages.

Personally I don't have a problem with Rudolf, Charlie Brown, Baby it's cold outside, Cotton plants or Santa Clause being an Old Man... But unfortunately since the Network News directors seem to think that this is some kind of must know story that could threaten our country, I along with others must endure this all important news coverage. I am surprised we didn't have a live reporter on the scene.

I have to agree with you... But this is what I think makes it the real problem...

That story was picked up by the NY Post, Fox News and countless local tv stations. That's the problem.

Excuse me! But I am not the Program director of a News Network choosing to run this story on a National Level. As well as these other 4 new outrages.

Personally I don't have a problem with Rudolf, Charlie Brown, Baby it's cold outside, Cotton plants or Santa Clause being an Old Man... But unfortunately since the Network News directors seem to think that this is some kind of must know story that could threaten our country, I along with others must endure this all important news coverage. I am surprised we didn't have a live reporter on the scene.

It doesn’t matter which media organization first ran it. It was ran because they knew people would care about it. Even though it’s irrelevant to all of our lives.

You made a choice to care enough about the lady getting mad about the cotton to have an opinion, and even bring it back up from time to time when it suits your argument.

It’s not just you, we all do it.

We shouldn’t care about a few stupid frat guys three states away wearing blackface to a party, and we shouldn’t care about a trans person reading stories to other people’s children.

Personally I don't have a problem with Rudolf, Charlie Brown, Baby it's cold outside, Cotton plants or Santa Clause being an Old Man...

I didn't say you did. Some other person does. Then you get to have your problem with that person. And the cycle continues.

Like I said earlier in the thread...

yes, discussions that exaggerate the trivial does no justice for the actual issues - a point I've made more than once on this very board. It makes the actual work needing to be done so much harder, because it makes it so much easier to dismiss

and this cuts both ways, and we see examples of both in this very thread

It doesn’t matter which media organization first ran it. It was ran because they knew people would care about it. Even though it’s irrelevant to all of our lives.

You made a choice to care enough about the lady getting mad about the cotton to have an opinion, and even bring it back up from time to time when it suits your argument.

It’s not just you, we all do it.

We shouldn’t care about a few stupid frat guys three states away wearing blackface to a party, and we shouldn’t care about a trans person reading stories to other people’s children.

My opinion is that these ridiculous things should not be making our National News... Not front page material for News Outlet Websites. If I wanted to read that I would buy a copy of the National Enquirer... Like Banana said before. This stuff is Click Bait...

I am not even going to address your last comment. Please feel free to bring up the thread again if you wish...

My opinion is that these ridiculous things should not be making our National News... Not front page material for News Outlet Websites. If I wanted to read that I would buy a copy of the National Enquirer... Like Banana said before. This stuff is Click Bait...

I am not even going to address your last comment. Please feel free to bring up the thread again if you wish...

It’s in the news because people care about it. The order of stories on websites is set by an algorithm based on clicks. It’s a business, not an editorial choice.

Capitalism is the reason our news has become sensationalized. We are the market, and they are giving us what we want.

It’s in the news because people care about it.

We are the market, and they are giving us what we want.

People will read the "news" for all sorts of reasons - not just to find out more about what's going on. It might be for entertainment. It might be confirmation bias - we all curate our Facebook feeds and Twitter accounts and Instagram posts and reddit subforums (myself included). It might be for validation. It might be to take an event and spin it into something it isn't, but fits our agenda (that was in this thread, too)

And it might also be because it allows us to feel victimized by something - this was absolutely highlighted in the 2016 campaign (some of these obviously more credible/serious than others). Something offends us - even something trivial. Find it on the news. Try and publicize it. And if you're on the other side of that issue, then you get to get upset that someone on the other side got upset by that thing.

We can lament this, but then we need to decide if we want to be part of the problem perpetuating it or not.

you're right leaning and libertarianish, no?
this seems a peculiar stance to take

media literacy is the ability to read news and then find ways to determine of the news addresses .001, .01, .1, 1, 10 or 100percent of the population and then to know how to react/respond accordingly
maybe push for more media literacy and less censorship

maybe push for more media literacy and less censorship

tumblr_inline_mm7iwndcni1qz4rgp.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom