Happy to play in the South (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the weather news this morning made me wonder what football life is like living where the teams 'up north' are doing business. The arctic blast that is now being felt in the north and eastern parts of the country will affect several games on Sunday. Those fans there will certainly be bundled beyond belief just to survive the conditions. Obviously I'm glad that the NFL now schedules divisional games late in the season. Not only are these games critical and interesting, but for our Saints it ensures that these late season games will rarely be contested in a frigid outdoor stadium.

Sunday's game in Tampa will be in the balmy upper 60s, while most all of the games being played in the northeast will be looking at gametime temperatures in the low teens. Since weather can be a great equalizer, I would hate to see a game (especially if it has playoff or divisional championships on the line) be negatively affected by the conditions.

While it's true that both teams have to endure the same weather issues of any game they play together, it's great that we will rarely have a brutally cold late season game both for the team and for the amazing fans that can travel to support their team.

I just hope that tomorrow is a great day for the Saints in Tampa tomorrow.
Let's bring some momentum into the postseason! :9:

Watching light sneaux coming down. When the Eagles play tomorrow, it will be ******* cold. This is abnormally cold, and by the time the Saints have to go up north, it should be better. It would be better yet if they didn't have to travel at all. :D

I gotta be honest, I played football from the age of 8 through 12th grade, and all those years I had to deal with the Northeast weather. Truth is, the weather only messes with you before the game. During the game? You get into it regardless. If you grow up dealing with the cold, you learn to deal with it. It's the norm. Hell, we even get stoked when we gotta play in snow lol No lie. It is what it is. With that said, I'd rather play in a Dome, too.

I don't mind the cold so much with the NE teams.

I think blizzard games are dumb though. I get it from a novelty standpoint, but I want to know who the best team is. Now who can handle foot deep snow the best.

i'll do my rant again - if there is a playoff game like the buffalo/colts game a few weeks ago, the winner of that game will be rewarded for playing a type of game that wasn't part of the skill, talent, execution, coaching evaluation process of the previous 17 weeks

the game would be an outlier and should not be part of the playoff process

I don't mind the cold so much with the NE teams.

I think blizzard games are dumb though. I get it from a novelty standpoint, but I want to know who the best team is. Now who can handle foot deep snow the best.

Agree 100%. Playoffs should be as weather neutral as possible. That said, whether conscious or not, the Saints are much better suited to play in bad weather than has been the case in the past. But when you can't even see the yardlines and hashmarks, that's ridiculous.

I gotta be honest, I played football from the age of 8 through 12th grade, and all those years I had to deal with the Northeast weather. Truth is, the weather only messes with you before the game. During the game? You get into it regardless. If you grow up dealing with the cold, you learn to deal with it. It's the norm. Hell, we even get stoked when we gotta play in snow lol No lie. It is what it is. With that said, I'd rather play in a Dome, too.

Perhaps, but it would be hard for the Saints to have a week of game prep in Metairie for a game in Philly if the conditions were snowy/icy with temps in the single digits or low teens.

It would certainly be 'Advantage: Eagles'. :scared:
But we'd just have to get mentally prepared for the physical challenge of playing a tough game in such an environment.

Perhaps, but it would be hard for the Saints to have a week of game prep in Metairie for a game in Philly if the conditions were snowy/icy with temps in the single digits or low teens.

It would certainly be 'Advantage: Eagles'. :scared:
But we'd just have to get mentally prepared for the physical challenge of playing a tough game in such an environment.
Nah, that's just chit-chat nonsense spoken by the media. We did make history in Philly on Jan 4th, 2014. I'm not worried about playing teams in cold weather. We're built for it.

i'll do my rant again - if there is a playoff game like the buffalo/colts game a few weeks ago, the winner of that game will be rewarded for playing a type of game that wasn't part of the skill, talent, execution, coaching evaluation process of the previous 17 weeks

the game would be an outlier and should not be part of the playoff process

This is true.

While watching the Vikings @ Packers game last Saturday evening it was clear that even the normal movement of the players was being affected by the extreme cold. I saw a few passes that flew by the receivers (for both teams) and it was like their arms could not extend in time to reach the ball.

I have personally been in temperatures where I could move in a natural manner due to the cold. As you said, it's outside the realm of what could be considered a real football experience for the players.

That’s not true.

In snowy conditions, the weather “messes” with you all game, because you can’t run, cut, stop, throw, catch, kick as you normally would.

True it’s equal for both teams, but it’s completely changed the normal game.

Did you know seecColts/Bills a few weeks back

That’s not true.

In snowy conditions, the weather “messes” with you all game, because you can’t run, cut, stop, throw, catch, kick as you normally would.

True it’s equal for both teams, but it’s completely changed the normal game.

Did you know seecColts/Bills a few weeks back
When you play in those conditions, the struggles you speak of become the norm in the game. Slipping, sliding... whatever. It's expected and you do your best to adapt. Like I said, people who live in these conditions actually enjoy playing in snow.

Shame that the Falcons aren't @ Panthers this week. Would love to see both of those teams slip, sliding, falling down all around on the frozen ground a bit.

No snow mind you... just solid.. frozen.. ground.

What if football started in March and then the playoff game was on your typical 90 something degree 90 something humidity Louisiana afternoon?

Shame that the Falcons aren't @ Panthers this week. Would love to see both of those teams slip, sliding, falling down all around on the frozen ground a bit.

No snow mind you... just solid.. frozen.. ground.

The ground is fine out here in Charlotte. It’s hovering in the mid 30s though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom