Happy Zion day all *official Pels vs Spurs thread (1 Viewer)

Not exactly what I meant. Having knee surgery at 19 is concerning. Zion might play 80 games a year for the next decade and make all that concern seem silly down the road.

I guess one could look at Joel Embiid -- he only played 31 games his rookie year and is now an unquestioned All-Star. But on closer inspections, Embiid is missing 18+ games a season himself. Load management trend, or broken-down body?

EDIT: Ack! Worse than I thought -- Embiid missed two full seasons, and then played 31 games in his first season back. Great asset when available ... but ...

from what I saw on the Pelicans forums, this shouldn't be a long term problem...especially with the work he is getting on his mechanics

while I realize Zion's production will take away from others a bit, we are still talking about adding a player that is capable of putting up 20+ points a game, increasing our rebounds, and providing immense versatility on defense. currently he is 6'6" and still growing. we are going to probably end up with a 6'8", 260 pound forward with the athleticism to single up on opposing guards one on one

(Deep breaths, deep breaths ... )

I'm a little concerned about it being a Greg Oden or Sam Bowie situation. I guess it's way too early to bail on Zion, though.

He walks like Greg Oden did.

I'm not trying to put that evil on you or anything. I like Zion and I hope he stays healthy, because he's absurdly fun to watch and is good for the league. Just something I noticed last night.

This is all well and good ... but if Zion was not medically able to go 30-35 minutes, then he should just sit out longer.

The docs say you can't play a full game? Then you can't help a team yet. Playing 15 minutes a night for two months isn't worth it. Come back ready for a full night out, or else stay out longer.

I'll never understand modern pro sports load management. Zion had already sat out three months for what was initially billed a 6-8 week recovery. He has been practicing for over a month, and full-practicing for at least two weeks.

So at this point ... is there really a medically-discernible risk difference between playing 18 minutes and playing, say, 22 minutes? Really? I don't believe it. I just don't.
Pelicans Medical Staff > Doug B

I mean, these guys are known to be not just the best in basketball, but among the best in all of professional sports. Their understanding and handling of injury, rehab and treatment is legendary in the industry. Much of NBA sports medical treatment and rehab was created under Aaron Nelson and the people he has mentored. You'll have to forgive me if I dismiss your opinion for their actual knowledge. This goes double when you consider the poor reputation the Pels have historically in regards to their handling of player recovery and how far this goes to reversing that stigmata.

Much of NBA sports medical treatment and rehab was created under Aaron Nelson and the people he has mentored.
Is this why NBA players don't approach 80 games anymore? Maybe not even 75.

Or in baseball, why guys like Stephen Strasburg get yanked after 70 pitches?

It wasn't Gentry. I understand that ESPN is reporting that Gentry got into it with medical staff every time Zion got pulled. Then there is this
Basically, Gentry's hands were tied

While this^ is certainly true, the Pels looked like they were trying to shoot into a thimble from the 3-point arc until Zion came in with his flurry of 3s. If we could have made just a few of those continuous misses last night it would have been a win despite Aldridge's big night.

I'm putting this one on the poor shooting percentage waaaaaay more than because of what Aldridge managed to do.

But it goes hand in hand. We arent a post up/jump shot team. If we cant get into transition ball, then we are relegated to that and thats NOT our style of play.

So slowing the pace and getting points thru Aldridge was KEY for the Spurs. They played inside out and hit their jumpers when needed.

No doubt we were off shooting for sure. But we also were down on attempts - due to the pace.

we will get better as Zion works into the starting 5

Well, I don't know -- usually star NBA players break immediately. If that doesn't happen, doubt is reasonable IMHO.

zion was so terrible his scoring debut is the highest since 2012. Fun fact... he scored 1 more than AD in his debut who is in 2nd place of every rookie drafted in the last 8 seasons. if you thought zion was going to be Michael forking Jordan in his first game than go back to being lakers fans or "not into" basketball or whatever. We have as talented a roster as ANYONE with 2/3 of the team being under the age of 24. Our bench is lit now with zion back as it allows BI to slide to the 3 and JJ to run the 2nd line with a bunch of kids and uncle E. We are only going to get better as guys learn how to play together.

zion was so terrible his scoring debut is the highest since 2012. Fun fact... he scored 1 more than AD in his debut who is in 2nd place of every rookie drafted in the last 8 seasons. if you thought zion was going to be Michael forking Jordan in his first game than go back to being lakers fans or "not into" basketball or whatever. We have as talented a roster as ANYONE with 2/3 of the team being under the age of 24. Our bench is lit now with zion back as it allows BI to slide to the 3 and JJ to run the 2nd line with a bunch of kids and uncle E. We are only going to get better as guys learn how to play together.

Even Jordan wasn't as good as Zion in his first game.

"Jordan's first game with the Chicago Bulls was a win over the Washington Bullets. The final score of the game was 109-93, and Jordan scored 16 points, with six rebounds and seven assists." per https://people.com/sports/michael-jordan-nba-debut-30-years-ago/

The difference. Zion didn't get the win. And I can't find the minutes total that MJ played in that game but I'm sure it was more than what Zion got.

zion was so terrible his scoring debut is the highest since 2012. Fun fact... he scored 1 more than AD in his debut who is in 2nd place of every rookie drafted in the last 8 seasons.
I didn't mean that Zion didn't play great in his debut. I meant that Zion missing half of a season right out the gate is a legitimate cause for concern and doubt -- doubly so for a Pelican. Probably the least healthy franchise in sports ... and who the flip knows why?

I didn't mean that Zion didn't play great in his debut. I meant that Zion missing half of a season right out the gate is a legitimate cause for concern and doubt -- doubly so for a Pelican. Probably the least healthy franchise in sports ... and who the flip knows why?
… research how many 1st rounders taken in the top 5 miss their entire first year. aaron nelson has this under control. we hired the best because we needed the best.

… research how many 1st rounders taken in the top 5 miss their entire first year. aaron nelson has this under control. we hired the best because we needed the best.
I'm not used to so many players missing all that time and people not being alarmed about it. Don't know what's up with modern sports.

So if so many high NBA picks miss so much time ... what is the deal these days? Why is everyone hurt so much?

Baseball is the same way. There are no more minor injuries in MLB. Anything that could ever bother a player leads to two weeks off, followed by two more weeks in the minors. Dudes used to stay on the 25-man roster, miss a game or two with a strain or something, and then come right back and play.

I'm not used to so many players missing all that time and people not being alarmed about it. Don't know what's up with modern sports.

So if so many high NBA picks miss so much time ... what is the deal these days? Why is everyone hurt so much?

Baseball is the same way. There are no more minor injuries in MLB. Anything that could ever bother a player leads to two weeks off, followed by two more weeks in the minors. Dudes used to stay on the 25-man roster, miss a game or two with a strain or something, and then come right back and play.

because the jump from college basketball to NBA basketball is absolutely grueling due to not only the difference in talent competition but the grind of all those games

college football players are almost playing a pro season in terms of games and baseball just isn't as physically demanding other than pitchers. I am willing to bet rookie pitchers have trouble with the grind too (sorry I don't pay attention to baseball till the playoffs or LSU)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom