Happy Zion day all *official Pels vs Spurs thread (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
TNT were saying Ball ignored Gentry twice when he tried to get a timeout in. Damn shame when the squad ignores the head coach because of ineptitude.
Zion was gassed and the medical team shut him down. Not sure it was even Gentry's call at that point.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
There were actually two stories out there I heard. One said that they would have him on a pitch count. The other said they wouldn't.
During the game they said Gentry told them Zion would play in 3-4 minutes increments. During the game, Zion played in 3-4 minute increments with the exception being the hot streak. I would to go with the story that said Zion would be on a pitch count and probably ignore the other guy as a source of reliable info from here on out.

MLU

Reaction score
Once they fire Gentry, I guarantee they become a better team. I hope Griffin does it during the All-Star Break esp if we are still in the hunt to make the playoffs. If not then the offseason for sure.
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. You're going to be disappointed. Griffin doesn't strike me as a guy who listens to basketball fans for his employment decisions. He strikes me as a guy who will use Gentry until it's time to move on.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
During the game they said Gentry told them Zion would play in 3-4 minutes increments. During the game, Zion played in 3-4 minute increments with the exception being the hot streak. I would to go with the story that said Zion would be on a pitch count and probably ignore the other guy as a source of reliable info from here on out.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying what was said. It's obvious he was on a pitch count.

Reaction score
This threw off the other players esp Brandon Ingram and maybe even Jrue (even tho clearly this year we don't know what Jrue we're gonna get game to game) b/c we haven't even talked about the fact he had a bad game tonight w/ Zion in there which isn't good b/c we need and want them to play well together.

MLU

Reaction score
This threw off the other players esp Brandon Ingram and maybe even Jrue (even tho clearly this year we don't know what Jrue we're gonna get game to game) b/c we haven't even talked about the fact he had a bad game tonight w/ Zion in there which isn't good b/c we need and want them to play well together.
Agreed. I felt that starting Zion wasn't the right move. The Pels have really gotten some momentum lately and it seems the better move for the team as well as Zion was to sub him in about 5-6 minutes into the game. I think that really set the team back and the Spurs jumped out to a lead and gave them momentum that they never really relinquished.

Regardless, Zion needs to get into game shape and integrate with the rest of the team. I don't think that anyone feels they should leave him on the bench. It took him 4 quarters, but we can clearly see the hypenis real. You might as well get started now and see how quickly they can fit him into the rotation.

I know we all want to see them in the playoffs. Mathematically it's still possible, but I'm trying not to invest too much into that belief. This team has a lot of great, young pieces for the future. They need to lock up BI as soon as possible.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This. Pels had no answer for Aldridge. He averages 19 a game.... Scores 32 last night.
We didn't defend him well at all and it ate us up. It takes the transition game out that we are really good at.
This is why we lost. Defense of him was just bad. Favors got 2 early fouls which didn't help.

But you can see what Zion brings to the game. Excited to see what happens 20 games from now

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This. Pels had no answer for Aldridge. He averages 19 a game.... Scores 32 last night.
We didn't defend him well at all and it ate us up. It takes the transition game out that we are really good at.
This is why we lost. Defense of him was just bad. Favors got 2 early fouls which didn't help.

But you can see what Zion brings to the game. Excited to see what happens 20 games from now
Pop also did a great job game-planning to just grind the game to a halt by running sets for Aldridge and Derozan. Kept ya'll from running and getting momentum plays. We'll see you again in April though, hopefully Zion is healthy and full go by then.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score

Favors didn't look healthy. Aldridge was hot but I can't imagine he works over Favors like that if both are full speed healthy.

Favors played 65-70 games a year for the Jazz but now he's caught whatever injury plague every Pelican player gets when they suit up here.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

While this^ is certainly true, the Pels looked like they were trying to shoot into a thimble from the 3-point arc until Zion came in with his flurry of 3s. If we could have made just a few of those continuous misses last night it would have been a win despite Aldridge's big night.

I'm putting this one on the poor shooting percentage waaaaaay more than because of what Aldridge managed to do.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Pop also did a great job game-planning to just grind the game to a halt by running sets for Aldridge and Derozan. Kept ya'll from running and getting momentum plays. We'll see you again in April though, hopefully Zion is healthy and full go by then.
If there's one thing I will say about Pops as a great NBA coach, the man is a genius with time management. He uses TOs better than anyone in the game.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Hayes actually did a damned good job on defending Aldridge

the Pels just fell in love with the 3 ball again coming off a game where they couldn't miss. They had Aldridge in foul trouble and should have been taking the ball at him almost every possession

I had said a couple of times before this game that I thought Zion should play off the bench....possibly for the rest of the season. The starters had their chemistry going and have been doing well lately. It's obvious that chemistry got disrupted. If your starters are able to go toe to toe with most anybody, having Zion playing against reserves should have our bench outscoring our opponents' every game by a good margin
NAW, Hayes, Hart, Zion, and Moore should be able to wreck pretty much any bench in the NBA once they played together a bit

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Obviously so he doesn't aggravate his injury.

They said they would limit his time before the game started. Every time he came off the floor the trainers examined him. You can clearly see they're more concerned with his health long term than winning a single game. Pels fans would call for Gentry's head if Zion continued to play and re-injured himself because he fatigued due to not being in game shape. You could see Gentry getting up to pull Zion, but he left him in when he got a hot hand.
This is all well and good ... but if Zion was not medically able to go 30-35 minutes, then he should just sit out longer.

The docs say you can't play a full game? Then you can't help a team yet. Playing 15 minutes a night for two months isn't worth it. Come back ready for a full night out, or else stay out longer.

I'll never understand modern pro sports load management. Zion had already sat out three months for what was initially billed a 6-8 week recovery. He has been practicing for over a month, and full-practicing for at least two weeks.

So at this point ... is there really a medically-discernible risk difference between playing 18 minutes and playing, say, 22 minutes? Really? I don't believe it. I just don't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom