Happy Zion day all *official Pels vs Spurs thread (3 Viewers)

This. Pels had no answer for Aldridge. He averages 19 a game.... Scores 32 last night.
We didn't defend him well at all and it ate us up. It takes the transition game out that we are really good at.
This is why we lost. Defense of him was just bad. Favors got 2 early fouls which didn't help.

But you can see what Zion brings to the game. Excited to see what happens 20 games from now

Pop also did a great job game-planning to just grind the game to a halt by running sets for Aldridge and Derozan. Kept ya'll from running and getting momentum plays. We'll see you again in April though, hopefully Zion is healthy and full go by then.

This. Pels had no answer for Aldridge. He averages 19 a game.... Scores 32 last night.
We didn't defend him well at all and it ate us up. It takes the transition game out that we are really good at.
This is why we lost. Defense of him was just bad. Favors got 2 early fouls which didn't help.

But you can see what Zion brings to the game. Excited to see what happens 20 games from now

Favors didn't look healthy. Aldridge was hot but I can't imagine he works over Favors like that if both are full speed healthy.

Favors played 65-70 games a year for the Jazz but now he's caught whatever injury plague every Pelican player gets when they suit up here.

While this^ is certainly true, the Pels looked like they were trying to shoot into a thimble from the 3-point arc until Zion came in with his flurry of 3s. If we could have made just a few of those continuous misses last night it would have been a win despite Aldridge's big night.

I'm putting this one on the poor shooting percentage waaaaaay more than because of what Aldridge managed to do.

Pop also did a great job game-planning to just grind the game to a halt by running sets for Aldridge and Derozan. Kept ya'll from running and getting momentum plays. We'll see you again in April though, hopefully Zion is healthy and full go by then.

If there's one thing I will say about Pops as a great NBA coach, the man is a genius with time management. He uses TOs better than anyone in the game.

Hayes actually did a damned good job on defending Aldridge

the Pels just fell in love with the 3 ball again coming off a game where they couldn't miss. They had Aldridge in foul trouble and should have been taking the ball at him almost every possession

I had said a couple of times before this game that I thought Zion should play off the bench....possibly for the rest of the season. The starters had their chemistry going and have been doing well lately. It's obvious that chemistry got disrupted. If your starters are able to go toe to toe with most anybody, having Zion playing against reserves should have our bench outscoring our opponents' every game by a good margin
NAW, Hayes, Hart, Zion, and Moore should be able to wreck pretty much any bench in the NBA once they played together a bit

Obviously so he doesn't aggravate his injury.

They said they would limit his time before the game started. Every time he came off the floor the trainers examined him. You can clearly see they're more concerned with his health long term than winning a single game. Pels fans would call for Gentry's head if Zion continued to play and re-injured himself because he fatigued due to not being in game shape. You could see Gentry getting up to pull Zion, but he left him in when he got a hot hand.
This is all well and good ... but if Zion was not medically able to go 30-35 minutes, then he should just sit out longer.

The docs say you can't play a full game? Then you can't help a team yet. Playing 15 minutes a night for two months isn't worth it. Come back ready for a full night out, or else stay out longer.

I'll never understand modern pro sports load management. Zion had already sat out three months for what was initially billed a 6-8 week recovery. He has been practicing for over a month, and full-practicing for at least two weeks.

So at this point ... is there really a medically-discernible risk difference between playing 18 minutes and playing, say, 22 minutes? Really? I don't believe it. I just don't.

Favors played 65-70 games a year for the Jazz but now he's caught whatever injury plague every Pelican player gets when they suit up here.
65-70 games is considered an Iron Man season in the modern NBA? Looks like a dude with a history of missing a lot of time.

Gah! "Load management". I'll "OK Boomer" myself -- load management effs up sports.

65-70 games is considered an Iron Man season in the modern NBA? Looks like a dude with a history of missing a lot of time.

Gah! "Load management". I'll "OK Boomer" myself -- load management effs up sports.

Favors played 76 and 77 games in the last 2 seasons.

AD has never played more than 75

The same medical staff that's been hobbling this franchise for how long made the decision to pull Zion...k, gotcha. I just don't trust that these health professionals know what the other organizations know.

This is all well and good ... but if Zion was not medically able to go 30-35 minutes, then he should just sit out longer.

The docs say you can't play a full game? Then you can't help a team yet. Playing 15 minutes a night for two months isn't worth it. Come back ready for a full night out, or else stay out longer.

I'll never understand modern pro sports load management. Zion had already sat out three months for what was initially billed a 6-8 week recovery. He has been practicing for over a month, and full-practicing for at least two weeks.

So at this point ... is there really a medically-discernible risk difference between playing 18 minutes and playing, say, 22 minutes? Really? I don't believe it. I just don't.

I play fantasy basketball and can say with complete certainty that it is absolutely normal for a player to be on restricted minutes coming back from an injury...especially if joint is involved

The same medical staff that's been hobbling this franchise for how long made the decision to pull Zion...k, gotcha. I just don't trust that these health professionals know what the other organizations know.

actually we hired what is considered the top staff in the NBA away from Phoenix in the offseason. He has been sitting out extra time so that he could work on better form in running, jumping, and landing so as not to put as much stress on his knees. They are being responsible with his future and not just thinking about here and now.

IMO it is a good decision

actually we hired what is considered the top staff in the NBA away from Phoenix in the offseason. He has been sitting out extra time so that he could work on better form in running, jumping, and landing so as not to put as much stress on his knees. They are being responsible with his future and not just thinking about here and now.

IMO it is a good decision
That's good. If sitting him out three months is good and prudent ... sitting him out the whole 2019-20 season should be even better and more prudent. Maybe it's better for Zion to work his way back in during the next preseason when the games don't count.

Absolutely no summer league -- too much wear & tear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom