Happy Zion day all *official Pels vs Spurs thread (1 Viewer)

That's good. If sitting him out three months is good and prudent ... sitting him out the whole 2019-20 season should be even better and more prudent. Maybe it's better for Zion to work his way back in during the next preseason when the games don't count.

Absolutely no summer league -- too much wear & tear.

why if they have already accomplished what they wanted? if his knee is good to go, and he has learned what they were trying to teach him, then sitting him means he doesn't improve his basketball skills this year or build any chemistry with his teammates

we lost that game because we played some of our worst ball in the past 3 or 4 weeks while San Antonio couldn't miss. And we still nearly won

there are good times ahead and they will happen sooner rather than later

I play fantasy basketball and can say with complete certainty that it is absolutely normal for a player to be on restricted minutes coming back from an injury...especially if a joint is involved
When was Zion caught with a joint? :scratch:

actually we hired what is considered the top staff in the NBA away from Phoenix in the offseason. He has been sitting out extra time so that he could work on better form in running, jumping, and landing so as not to put as much stress on his knees. They are being responsible with his future and not just thinking about here and now.

IMO it is a good decision

100% agree.

It amazes me how myopic some of y’all are being with this.. Last night was ONE GAME.. Sure, it woulda been nice to get a win.. but the old cliche has never been more true than it is here- It’s a marathon, not a sprint... As a Pels fan and (former) season ticket holder, a Zion fan and a fan of the city of New Orleans- winning the game last night, or the game tomorrow night, or even making the playoffs THIS year- none of it means a fraction as much as watching Zion play for 15 yrs, light up the NBA, win multiple titles for NOLA and becoming the legend he’s got the potential to be.

Just relax guys.

That's good. If sitting him out three months is good and prudent ... sitting him out the whole 2019-20 season should be even better and more prudent. Maybe it's better for Zion to work his way back in during the next preseason when the games don't count.

Absolutely no summer league -- too much wear & tear.

Yeah. I'm of the belief, as many were saying on TV last night, if you want to be in basketball shape, you've got to play basketball.

This is pretty much what we had through that stretch in the 4th quarter.

I would love to be able to blame Gentry for this, but we don't know if the way Zion was utilized was his decision. I am willing to bet that decision came from the medical staff. If I am wrong and it was Gentry, then Gentry lost the game for us IMO

100% agree.

It amazes me how myopic some of y’all are being with this.. Last night was ONE GAME.. Sure, it woulda been nice to get a win.. but the old cliche has never been more true than it is here- It’s a marathon, not a sprint... As a Pels fan and (former) season ticket holder, a Zion fan and a fan of the city of New Orleans- winning the game last night, or the game tomorrow night, or even making the playoffs THIS year- none of it means a fraction as much as watching Zion play for 15 yrs, light up the NBA, win multiple titles for NOLA and becoming the legend he’s got the potential to be.

Just relax guys.
Yes, this is true. But it's hard to tell a bunch of fans who recently threw their wallets in to invest in Year One with Zion that the team is now just prepping him for the seasons to come.

I guess that's why they are not coming right out and saying it. :scratch:
No one wants to be run over in that stampede.

actually we hired what is considered the top staff in the NBA away from Phoenix in the offseason. He has been sitting out extra time so that he could work on better form in running, jumping, and landing so as not to put as much stress on his knees. They are being responsible with his future and not just thinking about here and now.

IMO it is a good decision
See, and I thought I remembered hearing about that but somehow we still are hobbled with injuries. Is it the environment and nobody knows how to pre-emptively account for these injuries in Louisiana climate or is it the food. High salt content causing dehydration and weight gain(like so many good DL/OL Saints players who suffered weight gain here). Something has to be the cause of this and needs to be adjusted.

I agree with pulling Zion. He was sweating bullets and was getting winded. He's certainly not in game shape yet. But he was pulled at the most inopportune moment. I agree with so many. He should have come of the bench not started but hindsight is 20/20. If Gentry is as good as he thinks he is, maybe he'll adjust for this until chemistry develops and his conditioning is up to snuff. I would have preferred his remaining time to come at the end to close out the game rather than to start the 4th. Again, hindsight and all.

Now my biggest gripe is, the rest of the team seemed to be playing half-heartedly. Zion brought an energy with him when he was in those last few minutes. I don't see that in anybody else. Zion gave them the lead and the rest of the team should have been able to keep it closer if not taken the momentum and run with it, but with so many 4th quarter fails they lost focus and fell apart. It's disheartening but it's only one game and I can't wait for the next game to see how Gentry responds with how he plays Zion and has him play with everyone else.

FYI, I enjoyed the hell out of that 4th quarter until Zion came out. The excitement with him is palpable. If I had the money and time, I'd be going to games.

Yes, this is true. But it's hard to tell a bunch of fans who recently threw their wallets in to invest in Year One with Zion that the team is now just prepping him for the seasons to come.

I guess that's why they are not coming right out and saying it. :scratch:
No one wants to be run over in that stampede.

it isn't like the Pels wanted him to get injured.

and no, that isn't what is happening. They sat him an extra month to help him learn to protect his knee and are now bringing him back to help with a playoff run. The pels are most certainly not tanking or throwing away this season. If they were, they would have already traded Favors away to a team that needed a center or a team that wants an expiring contract

100% agree.

Just relax guys.
(Deep breaths, deep breaths ... )

I'm a little concerned about it being a Greg Oden or Sam Bowie situation. I guess it's way too early to bail on Zion, though.

See, and I thought I remembered hearing about that but somehow we still are hobbled with injuries. Is it the environment and nobody knows how to pre-emptively account for these injuries in Louisiana climate or is it the food. High salt content causing dehydration and weight gain(like so many good DL/OL Saints players who suffered weight gain here). Something has to be the cause of this and needs to be adjusted.

I agree with pulling Zion. He was sweating bullets and was getting winded. He's certainly not in game shape yet. But he was pulled at the most inopportune moment. I agree with so many. He should have come of the bench not started but hindsight is 20/20. If Gentry is as good as he thinks he is, maybe he'll adjust for this until chemistry develops and his conditioning is up to snuff. I would have preferred his remaining time to come at the end to close out the game rather than to start the 4th. Again, hindsight and all.

Now my biggest gripe is, the rest of the team seemed to be playing half-heartedly. Zion brought an energy with him when he was in those last few minutes. I don't see that in anybody else. Zion gave them the lead and the rest of the team should have been able to keep it closer if not taken the momentum and run with it, but with so many 4th quarter fails they lost focus and fell apart. It's disheartening but it's only one game and I can't wait for the next game to see how Gentry responds with how he plays Zion and has him play with everyone else.

FYI, I enjoyed the hell out of that 4th quarter until Zion came out. The excitement with him is palpable. If I had the money and time, I'd be going to games.

lets give the new medical staff a chance...I really heard some amazing things about what they do with players for injury prevention. Remember, most of our players and this training staff were acquired in the offseason. this training staff hasn't even had a chance to work with these players for a full season

and I have watched pretty much every game this season. This team has been playing with a lot of energy and heart. IMO, inserting Zion like they did was a disruption to chemistry and the flow these players had found. It takes time for a unit of 5 to learn how to think as one and, as you pointed out, the injuries along with the fact that these players had never played together before really hampered progress.

Like I already said....if playing Zion like they did was Gentry's decision, then he lost that game for us. If it was what the training staff wanted, then the game was a sacrifice to get Zion going. We already know that it wasn't Gentry's decision to pull Zion at the end of the game

My prediction is that we get the 8th spot, and if the Lakers are healthy they beat us 4-2 but they will know they were in a fight

lets give the new medical staff a chance...I really heard some amazing things about what they do with players for injury prevention. Remember, most of our players and this training staff were acquired in the offseason. this training staff hasn't even had a chance to work with these players for a full season

and I have watched pretty much every game this season. This team has been playing with a lot of energy and heart. IMO, inserting Zion like they did was a disruption to chemistry and the flow these players had found. It takes time for a unit of 5 to learn how to think as one and, as you pointed out, the injuries along with the fact that these players had never played together before really hampered progress.

Like I already said....if playing Zion like they did was Gentry's decision, then he lost that game for us. If it was what the training staff wanted, then the game was a sacrifice to get Zion going. We already know that it wasn't Gentry's decision to pull Zion at the end of the game

My prediction is that we get the 8th spot, and if the Lakers are healthy they beat us 4-2 but they will know they were in a fight
To your first point- True. I won't discount it. I'm in healthcare and study sports science myself. Just frustrating.

To your second point- They start games with a lot of energy (but not nearly the amount Zion brought in the 4th) but in the games they drop, something happens where the 4th quarter is a drag. Like their misses in the previous three quarters weigh them down or something and they just lose focus. Or when they take a 20 point lead and blow it. In their losses, they lack that drive to finish. In their current win streak, they've found that will to win but again, at times, they seem to lose it.

To the point of Zion throwing off chemistry, I completely agree. It took nearly a quarter or more of the season for these veterans and rookies to find their rhythm. Their identity. I expect that to now shift with Zion coming into the lineup. When a team loses or shifts their identity, there's bound to be a lack of rhythm and focus. It'll come and I see that leap coming.

Gentry specifically stated it wasn't his decision to pull Zion and again I agree with pulling him. *Sigh* Just wish the timing of his minutes would have been better. Had he been in the last 4-5 minutes of the 4th, would we have won the game? Maybe, maybe not we won't know, but it'll be fun to see what he can do when given the chance next time.

I'd love to get the 8th seed but even if we don't the season is not a bust by any means. It's entertainment and I'm getting that so far with the wins so kudos to the organization for that. They've finally brought a buzz for basketball back to New Orleans that hasn't been seen since maybe the closest thing being Pistol Pete at LSU.

this was his first career pro game, he scored 22 in limited minutes. That’s a pretty good breaking imo
Not exactly what I meant. Having knee surgery at 19 is concerning. Zion might play 80 games a year for the next decade and make all that concern seem silly down the road.

I guess one could look at Joel Embiid -- he only played 31 games his rookie year and is now an unquestioned All-Star. But on closer inspections, Embiid is missing 18+ games a season himself. Load management trend, or broken-down body?

EDIT: Ack! Worse than I thought -- Embiid missed two full seasons, and then played 31 games in his first season back. Great asset when available ... but ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom