Hard no on that proposed CBA.--J.J Watt (1 Viewer)

Ah yes, it is the standard excuse. It is always somebody else (group), that is the reason for someone not doing what they should. It is old buddy. What about the small majority that actually take the opportunity by the horns and get their degrees? Just wondering.

QUIT WITH THE STEREOTYPICAL STORYLINE EXCUSES ALREADY! Call it what it is. They are dummies for not seeing what is afforded to them.

In college you can lose your spot even more quickly than in the NFL because most (maybe all) positions have an even more extensive depth chart. So what incentive is there to study when the guy gunning for your job can just not study and thereby have an advantage by having more time to hone their skills? Also, are scholarships 100% guaranteed if you end up tumbling down the depth chart cuz a few guys climbed their way ahead of you while you were splitting time between the books and the field? If not, then you're screwed anyway. But by all means, keep being aloof and smug.

Guaranteed contracts, Worked out great for the NBA and MLB . No parity , Super teams in big markets. players forming super teams with their buddies. There is a REASON why the NFL is the biggest dog in town . EVERY team has a shot not just the big markets and the richest owners
^This a thousand times over. Hard salary cap always.

Get that garbage outta here. The NFL may not have big market supremacy but this entire forum just spent the last season constantly discussing how the league was fixing things for their golden boy franchises like GB, SF, etc., and we literally had a SB appearance stolen from us and given to L.A. I'll gladly take a future where the Saints never win another SB if it means that the players that put their health into a trash compactor so we can have entertainment don't end up homeless or unable to pay medical bills cuz their career ended after a year or two and they got gutted by 7-figure medical bills.

You make a great point......a really good one, however......it is a player’s choice to put their health on the line for what they sign a contract for. These dudes live the greatest life. Fame, fortune, and glory. All the while getting the benefits of top notch health care and lifestyle. Now that is NOT the end all be all, but they are playing a game. Let that sink in, a game. These guys don’t clock into 9-5, 7-7, or whatever. What they make now isn’t chump change and it’s more than an average hardworking person will ever see in 20 lifetimes. If I was offered just one of their contracts, I’d put my life on the line, without thinking twice. So let’s not pretend that these guys are having to think if they or their families will go hungry in the foreseeable future. I 100% think that their contracts should be guaranteed and they deserve every penny, being that they play a gladiator-style (although watered down now) sport, but I’m not crying or feeling sympathetic if they feel like they are underpaid. If anything, I feel sympathetic to the players in the past, that actually played through an era of hard hitting real football and made pennies compared to these cupcakes these days. In addition, every player reserves the right to save their money, invest, or make it to where they won’t go broke. Some succeed, some fail. Once again, I have zero sympathy for someone who doesn’t use their resources to set themselves up for a good future. And as of right now, these dudes are getting paid way more than the vast population. So if they get everything they want, then cool. If not, I won’t cry. And, at the end of the day, these guys won’t help you provide for yourself or your family (if you have one). So be cautious about what you would be willing to give up for someone that has everything right now (compared to us) and feels like they are deserving of more. Just playing devil’s advocate here.

Last edited:
I read through the notes on it, and it actually sounds like a great deal for the players. 100% guaranteed contracts will never happen in the NFL, there's just to much risk for a career ending injury that could hamstring a team for years

What's the point of training camp anymore.

I bet the players like the changes on the THC testing policies. Although I don't see why they're even testing for it anymore.

So who’s fault is that? Schools offer these kids free education, it’s their responsibility to obtain that. Yes these kids are young and believe they are indestructible but if you watch football which I’m sure all these kids do they should know that is not the case. If they don’t plan for their future after football then that’s on them an no one else. There are plenty of college athletes who go to class, study, and still play what ever sport. Football only last through half the school year. I would imagine as long as the NCAA has been around there are rules for how much time these kids can spend practicing so they are allowed to study and do home work. If they chose to do something else during that time then again that’s on them. I was not a college athlete so maybe if someone was they could chime in on this.

The truth is these kids have the opportunity to get a free education and if they don’t then that’s on them. If they do make it to the NFL and blow all their money, that’s on them. Greg Robinson the Browns OT just showed everyone what happens when you don’t pursued that free education and can’t make ends meet.

I read through the notes on it, and it actually sounds like a great deal for the players. 100% guaranteed contracts will never happen in the NFL, there's just to much risk for a career ending injury that could hamstring a team for years

Even more of a reason for a guarantee contract.

Perhaps I'm missing something but, the new CBA will give owners the opportunity to go to 17 games, right? And if they have that opportunity, they're definitely playing 17 games.

So why is the "raise" not being called what it truly will be? Payment for playing an extra game. The money they stand to make from a 17th games far exceeds what they will pay out in minimum salaries for the players who will get it. Across the board they're getting an extra game out of all the players except those making the minimum. Players under contracts will be playing an extra game for free. This is a steal for the owners. I'm mad too if I'm JJ Watt. His game check just took a dip and his injury risk increased.

Any player that has a contract agreed to under the 16 game season and it goes through the new cba that has the season extended to 17 games will have his salary (salary will include Paragraph 5 salary, prorated signing bonus, and roster bonus. I.E. his cap hit for the year or years in question) increased by another game check. For example a player that has a cap hit of $5 mill in 2021 (the first year of the 17 game schedule) will have that 5 mill diveided by 16 to determine the game cost under a 16 game schedule which comes to 312.5K. that amount would be added to his paragraph 5 salary for the 2021 season. and possibly the follow on seasons if the contract includes those.

How about they gi e money back when they sign a big contract and dont perform? Wheres the owners guarantee that the players is going to perform? Owners take all the financial risk.

How about they gi e money back when they sign a big contract and dont perform? Wheres the owners guarantee that the players is going to perform? Owners take all the financial risk.

The thing you're missing, Semper, is that if a player under performs he can be cut. If a player over performs, he has very little room to maneuver.

If owners guaranteed contracts, hold outside disappear. Do you see holdouts in other sports? No, because the contracts are what they signed and not back loaded slight of hand tricks. Teams can cut players that are underperforming and good players who they simply dont want to pay. The full value of a contract is rarely achievedin the NFL. Theres good players being released this week because teams don't want to make good on a contract they negotiated because the last year or 2 of the contracts see salary jumps. But when a player holds out with 1 or 2 years left he gets criticized. But when a player that's performing well gets cut to avoid being paid, no one blinks an eye.

So I say, how about team's honor the contracts they doled out.

Any player that has a contract agreed to under the 16 game season and it goes through the new cba that has the season extended to 17 games will have his salary (salary will include Paragraph 5 salary, prorated signing bonus, and roster bonus. I.E. his cap hit for the year or years in question) increased by another game check. For example a player that has a cap hit of $5 mill in 2021 (the first year of the 17 game schedule) will have that 5 mill diveided by 16 to determine the game cost under a 16 game schedule which comes to 312.5K. that amount would be added to his paragraph 5 salary for the 2021 season. and possibly the follow on seasons if the contract includes those.

Thanks for explaining it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom