Hardrock Hotel (new construction) colapses in French Quarter. (2 Viewers)

We really need to wait for the investigation to know more. In the mean time, just stay clear of the conspiracy theories.

So just stick with the facts?
1) 2 days before the collapse a number of workers complained that the building wasn't safe and video shows concrete support beams buckling but workers were still forced to continue the project.
2) The head building inspector was suspended two weeks before the building collapsed for taking bribes to pass inadequate work.
3) The company heading up the project is being run by a father who was scorned in court for allowing his son to take the fall for him for fraud.
4) More than one company responsible for the project was having major financial problems.
5) After the fact the companies responsible can't located the bodies but managed to put people inside before the crane collapse.
6) They were attempting the blow the cranes up in a series of explosions "about 3 seconds apart" and they all went off at once.
7) They were trying to drop the cranes down on to the building that was so unstable they couldn't go in to recover bodies but they were trying to drop those big arse cranes on top of the building to "preserve" evidence.
8) One of the law firms that tried to send a drone in to get evidence before the crane was blown was denied due to "search and rescue" efforts.

Not much of a theory left, just a lot of conspiracy. I mean, sure, it could be incompetence but there was probably some financial dumbing going on.

So just stick with the facts?
1) 2 days before the collapse a number of workers complained that the building wasn't safe and video shows concrete support beams buckling but workers were still forced to continue the project.
2) The head building inspector was suspended two weeks before the building collapsed for taking bribes to pass inadequate work.
3) The company heading up the project is being run by a father who was scorned in court for allowing his son to take the fall for him for fraud.
4) More than one company responsible for the project was having major financial problems.
5) After the fact the companies responsible can't located the bodies but managed to put people inside before the crane collapse.
6) They were attempting the blow the cranes up in a series of explosions "about 3 seconds apart" and they all went off at once.
7) They were trying to drop the cranes down on to the building that was so unstable they couldn't go in to recover bodies but they were trying to drop those big arse cranes on top of the building to "preserve" evidence.
8) One of the law firms that tried to send a drone in to get evidence before the crane was blown was denied due to "search and rescue" efforts.

Not much of a theory left, just a lot of conspiracy. I mean, sure, it could be incompetence but there was probably some financial dumbing going on.

You obviously know a lot more of what's going on than I do. If you trust your information, then feel free to believe and theorize whatever you think happened.

Just saying we shouldn't make things up. I think it will take time to really know what's happened and separate fact from fiction. Kind of like in the aftermath of Katrina or any disaster.

You obviously know a lot more of what's going on than I do. If you trust your information, then feel free to believe and theorize whatever you believe happened.

Just saying we shouldn't make things up. I think it will take time to really know what's happened and separate fact from fiction. Kind of like in the aftermath of Katrina or any disaster.
I'm not saying what happened, I don't know. I just know there have been tens of thousands of construction projects larger than this one without a collapse happening. There have been very few buildings of this size constructed with so much smoke coming out, even before the collapse. Thinking the two are related isn't only inevitable it's logical. As for specific reason and New Orleans history, it'll probably get blamed on the poorest person in the room 6 years from now.

The Iron Ring is a ring worn by many Canadian-trained engineers, as a symbol and reminder of the obligations and ethics associated with their profession. The ring is presented to engineering graduates in a closed ceremony known as The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer.[1][2] The concept of the ritual and its Iron Rings originated from H. E. T. Haultain in 1922, with assistance from Rudyard Kipling, who crafted the ritual at Haultain's request.[1][3]

The ring symbolizes the pride which engineers have in their profession, while simultaneously reminding them of their humility. The ring serves as a reminder to the engineer and others of the engineer's obligation to live by a high standard of professional conduct. However, the ring is not a symbol of qualification as an engineer; with engineering qualifications determined by provincial and territorial licensing bodies.[4]

I wonder if they also left the dog in the dog crate in the back of the bed? New Orleans sure knows how to show themselves in a bad way. This whole building crane things is kinda like Katrina with everyone wanting input from the state, the mayor, and no telling how many government engineers.

Will be interested to see all the finger pointing when they start litigating this through the courts. Any bets on how much corruption gets exposed at city hall before it all over? I don't think they engineer new building in a way that one failure can take out the a whole side so not only are they going to need to know where the original failure was but why a redundant structure failed as well. Kinda looks like that points to the structural engineering and who ever approved the structural engineering.

From looking at the pictures of the building, it appears the collapsed area was cantilevered which would make sense why each floor broke off at the same place as the pancaked on each other. Was that a failure waiting to happen when it was occupied by guest/residents?
Looks more like a Job Box than a dog crate. Job Box would be much more common in that circumstance.

The loss of Rampart is especially painful. There are no good alternates to go east-west between, say, Bywater/9th Ward and the CBD.

The French Quarter can't absorb that extra traffic -- Decatur Street was a parking lot earlier this afternoon. It's not made to be main drag.

And Claiborne is a bad alternate because there is no surface-street path from, say, Elysian Fields to Poydras. Traveling along Claiborne east to west, you're forced up onto an elevated expressway (and have to merge onto the I-10 and/or the Pontchartrain Expressway) shortly after passing Tulane.

As of yesterday morning, Basin Street (north of the Quarter SW of Armstrong Park) was re-opened.

Traffic travelling from the Ninth Water and Bywater on St. Claude/Rampart heading into the CBD can now take a short detour: turn right from Rampart onto St. Peter (right past Armstrong Park/Congo Square) and then an immediate left onto a short Basin St. access road. From there, turn left onto Basin and head to Poydras.

To get onto Poydras riverbound, you actually have to take a RIGHT turn off of Basin/Howard (changes names somwhere, same road) onto Poydras and then take an immediate U-turn to head toward the river on Poydras.

Sounds complicated, but map it out on your GPS, or Google Maps, or whatever. Yesterday, this route was pretty clear of traffic, but I bet it will start getting busier as more people find out about it.

Sounds complicated, but map it out on your GPS, or Google Maps, or whatever. Yesterday, this route was pretty clear of traffic, but I bet it will start getting busier as more people find out about it.

Here's two maps that cover the Basin St route described:

9th_Ward_to_CBD_1.jpg

9th_Ward_to_CBD_2.jpg

really?------ you cant send in a drone with a decent heavy tarp/blanket? give the deceased and his family some respect and dignity.

It’s like they want to be haunted
The first thing I thought was, new stop on the haunted tour. Prolly need some sensitivity training, but knowing what I want to do with my body on a daily basis, I find it difficult to consider this sanctimoniously.

Seriously, I'm low key jealous that he'll probably still be in the bldg when they implode it. I mean I'm not willing to die for it, but if you're gonna have to go why settle for a wooden box?

The first thing I thought was, new stop on the haunted tour. Prolly need some sensitivity training, but knowing what I want to do with my body on a daily basis, I find it difficult to consider this sanctimoniously.

Seriously, I'm low key jealous that he'll probably still be in the bldg when they implode it. I mean I'm not willing to die for it, but if you're gonna have to go why settle for a wooden box?
I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.
It's epic really. Grand kids would be legends telling the story. Most people go to the cemetery, but no granddad had to make them blow him up with the Hard Rock.

Now every year we got the quarter, second line a bit and then go see a concert. Sometimes you can actually see him push the wah wah pedal and try to bang head.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom