Harper on last year's D: "We sucked." (2 Viewers)

Harper still owed my uncle $2000 for a garage door installation from 5 years ago...... THIS is why i dont care for the dude. got nothing to do with his football talent.... but when you make 7 mil a year, you should be able to pay a $2000 bill........ aside from that, dude is a strong safety..... anyone using the excuse that he should be cut due to his lack of cover skills, find me a strong safety in the league who possesses elite, or even abover average, cover skills..... thats not what strong safeties do. he was never supposed to be like Darren Sharper.... that was supposed to be Malcolm Jenkins job, but i dont see him getting half the flack that Harper gets. Harper is a secondary extra linebacker who is supposed to play minimal coverage and be heavily involved in the run game. and anyway, if he gets cut, then my uncle will NEVER see his money!

Few things...

A) How does not being able to find a SS with elite or above average coverage skills excuse Harpers horrendous coverage skills?

B) You don't see Jenkins taking flack? Open your eyes.

C) You can't have your SS play as an extra LB playing minimal coverage. That's just stupid. He's a safety, not a LB. You know who covers the TE predominantly right?

I don't get why people keep using Harper as the goat in that Frisco playoff game. That Saints turned the ball over 5 times in that game...and not only that, it was Jenkins..not Harper...who gave up that huge pass play to Vernon Davis which put the Niners in scoring position on that final drive. It probably didn't help that Gregg Williams blitzed on that play, either.

Not making him the lone scape goat in that game however he and Jenkins had to switch positions because of his poor play in space and having to chase Vernon Davis. And even then he was having to play so far back in coverage that on that long pass play you mention, he ends up getting in Jenkins' way. Watch the replay. He whiffs on the tackle while at the same time getting in Jenkins' way allowing Davis to make a bigger gain. Then in that playoff lost to Seattle, he was torched in coverage. RH is stout in the box but terrible in space and makes him a liability. I don't get why you can't admit to the truth. He is not the only reason I agree but you have to admit the obvious. He can't play in space.

Oh blow it out your butt. I never stated why I thought think that. You drew up the negativity of Harper on your own accord.

no, you must have missed the post, i was commenting on.. :no::9:

I'm MUCH more disappointed with Jenkins than Harper - but both have good qualities. I think Harper was grossly misused last season - he's scary bad in deep coverage, and I think that Spags "schemes" didn't put players in the correct place.

I think that Jenkins might be kind of a "tweener", and not good enough at corner or safety to be a legit NFL starter - but he sure shows a lot of effort and has created some game-changing turnovers for the Saints. I hope that Vaccaro replaces him successfully, and ASAP.

Due to effort plays, and being a good ambassador for the team, I feel like if Jenkins was a 4th or 5th rounder, we could stick him on special teams, and leave him in as a dime back, and we'd all love him. He's just not meeting the expectations - that's doesn't mean he can't contribute.

I'm MUCH more disappointed with Jenkins than Harper - but both have good qualities. I think Harper was grossly misused last season - he's scary bad in deep coverage, and I think that Spags "schemes" didn't put players in the correct place.

I think that Jenkins might be kind of a "tweener", and not good enough at corner or safety to be a legit NFL starter - but he sure shows a lot of effort and has created some game-changing turnovers for the Saints. I hope that Vaccaro replaces him successfully, and ASAP.

Due to effort plays, and being a good ambassador for the team, I feel like if Jenkins was a 4th or 5th rounder, we could stick him on special teams, and leave him in as a dime back, and we'd all love him. He's just not meeting the expectations - that's doesn't mean he can't contribute.

The problem with Harper is he is bad in space which means he has trouble in deep coverage running and looking backwards to track the ball as well as taking good angles on crossing routes. He is better when he can get his hands on the WR early in the route in the box, but in today's NFL you need safeties that can cover deep. You need both safeties to be able to play the ball and tackle. Jenkins takes good angles and is good at being around the ball, however he is not a good wrap up tackler and he can't catch, so he gives up too many big plays.

They both need to stop this "leaping at the ball carrier with their shoulder without wrapping up" nonsense. It is poor tackling no matter how you slice it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom