Harper's Future?

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious what the general conception is.

Cap casualty? Resturcuture and kept?

Personally, I think it may come down to who we get for a DC. If we get Crennel, I think he's cut. Crennel uses his SS in coverage a solid amount which does not play to Harper's strength on top of our Salary cap situation and cutting Harper freeing up money.

However, if we go after Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score

Personally, I think it may come down to who we get for a DC. If we get Crennel, I think he's cut. Crennel uses his SS in coverage a solid amount which does not play to Harper's strength on top of our Salary cap situation and cutting Harper freeing up money.

However, if we go over Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.

Ya, at his number in regards to the cap, and the new look D we got, I think it may be time to improve the position. Let me say, I love Roman Harper, but like a lot of us, he's always worried me in coverage. It seems like all our S, are better suited to play strong. I dont think we have a true FS, and we need that kind of guy jus as much as we need a legit pass rusher. Jenkins is perfect for SS, in my opinion, and could be a star there. Again, I like Harper, and what ever we do with him, I'm all for it at this point.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
If we're to move on from Harper then move Jenkins to SS and IAQ will man the FS position. Whatever we do I want IAQ to be our FS.

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think if he takes a paycut he stays, if not we cut him, take the cap penalty, and save some money. I could see Harper join GW in TEN if he is cut since they have desperately needed a tackling SS for a while now. Maybe we could trade him for like a 7th to TEN to get rid of him without the cap penalty.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's time to go in another direction. A safety that can catch and cover.

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
There's no way Harper gets cut. It's not realistic considering he's only 30 and he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's arguably our best defender

Cscates03

Veteran
Reaction score

However, if we go after Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.
From a previous thread, I think I recall cap hit at around 4 million. I dont think he gets cut but might restructure. Also, no one is giving birth here. It should be "perception" not "conception." That is all.

RaisingTheBar

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's time to go in another direction. A safety that can catch and cover.

Strong safeties are strong safeties because they can't catch and cover. Very few SS in the NFL have great cover skills.

fastfreddy

sec 126
Reaction score
There's no way Harper gets cut. It's not realistic considering he's only 30 and he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's arguably our best defender

OMG really clearly he's the weakest link in the back field when an offense needed a first down they isolated Harper in coverage.

mountaineerdude

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Time to move on ..... He never had that IT factor that other safeties around the league have ..... I wanted him gone after the SEAHAWKS debacle .... but we kept him and gave him a big contract in 2011 and it cost us in playoffs again ..... its time to move on ....

Danneaux

Proud NRA Member
Reaction score
Strong safeties are strong safeties because they can't catch and cover. Very few SS in the NFL have great cover skills.

True. Harper's main problem is that he covers exactly like an average Strong Safety.

His main asset is that he excells at most everything else Strong Safeties are supposed to do.

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
OMG really clearly he's the weakest link in the back field when an offense needed a first down they isolated Harper in coverage.

All of of offenses around the league try and isolate safeties and linebackers in coverage

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
Time to move on ..... He never had that IT factor that other safeties around the league have ..... I wanted him gone after the SEAHAWKS debacle .... but we kept him and gave him a big contract in 2011 and it cost us in playoffs again ..... its time to move on ....

His contract cost us in the playoffs?

I can do this all day....it's too easy to defend Harper because he's a good player

Joshwa

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
He's a defensive coordinator's dream. He's staying guys.

bino22_

Veteran
Reaction score
I think it's probably time to move on especially with his salary. More importantly, I think we need a ballhawker to play FS so that Harper won't be exposed as much. I would love to get Jairus Byrd or at the very least we need to start IAQ.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom