Harper's Future? (1 Viewer)

I hope that he gets cut. I think that he's our worst starter on either side of the ball. He misses plenty of tackles, has stone hands, is slow, and is horrible in coverage.

He is a very good blitzer, but he isn't worth the huge cap number that he has for his blitz skills.

I think he plays pretty well at the LOS, misses a ridiculous amount of tackles in the open field and average at best in coverage.
I think it's the missed tackles that he has to improve on and I think he will improve.
Our salary cap will need a lot of help and I'm curious to see how the FO handles him.

Ya, he's probably one of, if not the best, pure box SS in the league. But its true, his tackling in the open field is overrated. He plays out of control in coverage, and has always been a step too slow. He's basically Sammy Knight, minus the ball hawking ability. I mean, he's good, but we need an upgrade. By the away, SS can cover. See William Moore, Eric Berry, Stevie Brown, Kenny Phillips, Pat Chung, and Tyvon Branch to name a few.

I like Harper, but based off of his play its time to move in another direction. he can't cover, he is not a sound tackler, nor is he a consistently powerful hitter. The team cannot keep looking for ways to keep mediocre overpayed players around and expect to make progress. If we get another FS, I would give jenkins a shot at SS. Jenkins is not extremely fast, but he is decent in coverage, and a decent tackler overall.

just so everyone is aware, harper had 88 solo tackles which is the most among all DBs and tied for 13th most among all players in the league

i think the notion that he cant tackle is overplayed and just flat out wrong

Ya, he's probably one of, if not the best, pure box SS in the league. But its true, his tackling in the open field is overrated. He plays out of control in coverage, and has always been a step too slow. He's basically Sammy Knight, minus the ball hawking ability. I mean, he's good, but we need an upgrade. By the away, SS can cover. See William Moore, Eric Berry, Stevie Brown, Kenny Phillips, Pat Chung, and Tyvon Branch to name a few.

None of those guys can cover one on one especially when our lbs and dl get no pressure and no contact is made to disrupt routes.. our whole defense is a mess and as bad as he MAY be harper is one of our best. With that said I doubt we have 5 legit starters on our defense.

I have always wondered if fans just make excuses for Harper and his suckness

None of those guys can cover one on one especially when our lbs and dl get no pressure and no contact is made to disrupt routes.. our whole defense is a mess and as bad as he MAY be harper is one of our best. With that said I doubt we have 5 legit starters on our defense.

Should have clarified, compared to Roman Harper, they can. I'd take any one of those guys in coverage ahead of Harper easily. Harper may be a slightly better tackler, but those guys a more complete players all around.

Keep him and restructure. Also I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning Ed Donatell. Hiring him would be a mistake.

Harper IMO is a great SS just VERY overpaid. He is a top 3 tackling safety, arguably the best but he also has some of the worst hands. His coverage is decent when he does not have to cover deep because he lacks the speed to play deep coverage. IMO he is a better S than Jenkins who is the real problem back there. That said, I think we have to move on from Harper not because of him but because of how the league has transformed into a passing league for the most part, your safeties have to be fast and rangy.

I like Harper, but the draft has some legit NFL quality Safeties. There's guys like Vaccaro, Elam, Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo, and this guy...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpWdR8WhX6E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Cyprien's like a jacked up Roman Harper, who hits like a missile and has more range in coverage. We need to get some more young guys in there to push the guys we already have. With or without Harper.

I like Harper, but the draft has some legit NFL quality Safeties. There's guys like Vaccaro, Elam, Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo, and this guy...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpWdR8WhX6E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Cyprien's like a jacked up Roman Harper, who hits like a missile and has more range in coverage. We need to get some more young guys in there to push the guys we already have. With or without Harper.

Cypripen is on my radar he had a very good Senior Bowl. Another SS coming out of college that also had a very good Senior Bowl is Duke Williams from Nevada the guy is a hard hitter and good in coverage.

I'm not going to put all the blame on Harper, we don't have very physical corners, you could say the same about any of our corners in short yardage situations. If you look at the teams with good secondaries, their corners jam the hell out of WR's so hard it disrupts the timing on 3rd and short. I find Harper gets blamed a whole lot for short yardage passes.

Harper isn't as bad as people make him out to be, I don't know how or if he fits this new system. Harper isn't a bad SS, he's just not a special one that has great coverage skills, those SS's that possess great instincts and can cover is pretty hard to find.

There's no way Harper gets cut. It's not realistic considering he's only 30 and he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's arguably our best defender

Trade Harper for ANY draft choice offered and move Jenkins back to corner.

Who's more of a liability at safety: Harper or Jenkins?

Harper has at least performed at a high level in a specific role in the past. It's hard to say the same for Jenkins, outside of a handful of impressive plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom