Harper's Future? (1 Viewer)

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious what the general conception is.

Cap casualty? Resturcuture and kept?

Personally, I think it may come down to who we get for a DC. If we get Crennel, I think he's cut. Crennel uses his SS in coverage a solid amount which does not play to Harper's strength on top of our Salary cap situation and cutting Harper freeing up money.

However, if we go after Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.

Personally, I think it may come down to who we get for a DC. If we get Crennel, I think he's cut. Crennel uses his SS in coverage a solid amount which does not play to Harper's strength on top of our Salary cap situation and cutting Harper freeing up money.

However, if we go over Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.

Ya, at his number in regards to the cap, and the new look D we got, I think it may be time to improve the position. Let me say, I love Roman Harper, but like a lot of us, he's always worried me in coverage. It seems like all our S, are better suited to play strong. I dont think we have a true FS, and we need that kind of guy jus as much as we need a legit pass rusher. Jenkins is perfect for SS, in my opinion, and could be a star there. Again, I like Harper, and what ever we do with him, I'm all for it at this point.

I think if he takes a paycut he stays, if not we cut him, take the cap penalty, and save some money. I could see Harper join GW in TEN if he is cut since they have desperately needed a tackling SS for a while now. Maybe we could trade him for like a 7th to TEN to get rid of him without the cap penalty.

I think it's time to go in another direction. A safety that can catch and cover.

There's no way Harper gets cut. It's not realistic considering he's only 30 and he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's arguably our best defender

However, if we go after Ed Donatell (which is what I believe we're waiting on) I think we could likely keep Harper as he would play the Whitner role in our defense.
From a previous thread, I think I recall cap hit at around 4 million. I dont think he gets cut but might restructure. Also, no one is giving birth here. It should be "perception" not "conception." That is all.

I think it's time to go in another direction. A safety that can catch and cover.

Strong safeties are strong safeties because they can't catch and cover. Very few SS in the NFL have great cover skills.

There's no way Harper gets cut. It's not realistic considering he's only 30 and he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's arguably our best defender

OMG really clearly he's the weakest link in the back field when an offense needed a first down they isolated Harper in coverage.

Time to move on ..... He never had that IT factor that other safeties around the league have ..... I wanted him gone after the SEAHAWKS debacle .... but we kept him and gave him a big contract in 2011 and it cost us in playoffs again ..... its time to move on ....

Strong safeties are strong safeties because they can't catch and cover. Very few SS in the NFL have great cover skills.

True. Harper's main problem is that he covers exactly like an average Strong Safety.

His main asset is that he excells at most everything else Strong Safeties are supposed to do.

Time to move on ..... He never had that IT factor that other safeties around the league have ..... I wanted him gone after the SEAHAWKS debacle .... but we kept him and gave him a big contract in 2011 and it cost us in playoffs again ..... its time to move on ....

His contract cost us in the playoffs?

I can do this all day....it's too easy to defend Harper because he's a good player

He's a defensive coordinator's dream. He's staying guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom