Harry Reid's claim re: Trump and Russia (1 Viewer)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
This is an interesting claim. It's clearly a dirty play by Reid, and quite possibly a lie, but he has it out there in the ether now.

I wonder if there aren't charges that can be brough against Reid for revealing this info?

Harry Reid: FBI has evidence of Donald Trump-Russia collusion | NOLA.com

I doubt it's a lie.

I'm sure that the FBI has been investigating people like Paul Manafort who have ties to Russia. We are essentially at war with Russia. At the moment, it is primarily a cyber war, but it is war nonetheless.

I am not sure what evidence that the FBI might have, or what compelling reason they would have to make that evidence public.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
This election is so sad.

I really would not be surprised if Reid is telling the truth, or mostly the truth.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This election is so sad.

I really would not be surprised if Reid is telling the truth, or mostly the truth.
Seriously. In his letter claiming that Comey has violated the Hatch Act, Reid 100% violates the Hatch Act. We currently have crap for leadership in this country....

pmiceli

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If Reid is truthin', then he is revealing the subject matter of a classified briefing.

If he is lyin', well then he is just lyin' as a surrogate for the Clinton campaign.

Since choice A opens Reid up to legal problems, my guess is B.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt it's a lie...I am not sure what evidence that the FBI might have
You know how I feel about Trump, so I don't need to explain myself, but...:shrug:

As Jim said, nothing would shock me, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'd rather wait til it's proven out before I make any kind of judgement on this.

Reid has essentially painted himself into a corner. He's either lying, and thus is a Clinton shill (which he is anyway). Or, it's true and he's revealing information from a classified source, which sets all kinds of dangerous precedent.

But then, Reid is one of the worst politicians out there, so, nothing surprises me with him.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Reid is truthin', then he is revealing the subject matter of a classified briefing.

If he is lyin', well then he is just lyin' as a surrogate for the Clinton campaign.

Since choice A opens Reid up to legal problems, my guess is B.
You know how I feel about Trump, so I don't need to explain myself, but...:shrug:

Reid has essentially painted himself into a corner. He's either lying, and thus is a Clinton shill (which he is anyway). Or, it's true and he's revealing information from a classified source, which sets all kinds of dangerous precedent.

But then, Reid is one of the worst politicians out there, so, nothing surprises me with him.
Reid is not running for reelection, so he is the perfect fall guy in this situation. What he said doesn't necessarily open him up to any prosecution, but would probably result in him losing the ability to view classified materials going forward. Which he I imagine he couldn't care less about. At worst, he could be fined and jailed for a maximum of one year.

If he's lying, then he can't face the music in a reelection bid, so there's nothing the state of Nevada or the congress at large can do to him. And he would go out a champion for sacrificing his reputation for the good of the progressive agenda.

If we're being honest here, it is a win win scenario for him. And just crazy that this is where we are at in our political system.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's not an executive branch employee. He can't violate the act.
Well, I mean the overall intent of the law. Technically, no, he can't violate the act. But he did in real life terms violate the intended purpose of the rule. He just can't be punished for it.

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Didn't Bush do something similar to John Kerry with those swift guys? Trying to say Kerry was no war hero?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I mean the overall intent of the law. Technically, no, he can't violate the act. But he did in real life terms violate the intended purpose of the rule. He just can't be punished for it.
I disagree on the purpose. It's to eliminate executive branch employees of pushing support for a candidate.

Senators/Reps are supposed to be political creatures and play favorites, so there is no spirit of the law against them either.

These federal and D.C. employees may not:
use official authority or influence to interfere with an election
solicit or discourage political activity of anyone with business before their agency
solicit or receive political contributions (may be done in certain limited situations by federal labor or other employee organizations)
be candidates for public office in partisan elections
engage in political activity while: on duty
in a government office
wearing an official uniform
using a government vehicle

wear partisan political buttons on duty

Agencies and employees prohibited from engaging in partisan political activity[edit]

Employees of the following agencies (or agency components), or in the following categories, are subject to more extensive restrictions on their political activities than employees in other Departments and agencies:
Administrative law judges (positions described at 5 U.S.C. § 5372)
Central Intelligence Agency
Contract Appeals Boards (positions described at 5 U.S.C. § 5372a)
Criminal Division (Department of Justice)
Defense Intelligence Agency
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Federal Election Commission
Merit Systems Protection Board
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
National Security Agency
National Security Council
Office of Criminal Investigation (Internal Revenue Service)
Office of Investigative Programs (Customs Service)
Office of Law Enforcement (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives)
United States Office of Special Counsel
Secret Service
Senior Executive Service

(career positions described at 5 U.S.C. § 3132(a)(4))

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Yea, it'd be kind of hard to run for reelection without violating the Hatch Act.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree on the purpose. It's to eliminate executive branch employees of pushing support for a candidate.

Senators/Reps are supposed to be political creatures and play favorites, so there is no spirit of the law against them either.
As is the President. But this is somewhat different in my estimation than say going to stump for a New Mexico alderman or holding a rally for Clinton/Kaine.

I guess it was a false equivalency on my part to equate the two, but to call out Comey for a Hatch violation with that as a part of the letter is just wrong. It's like rubbing his nose in the fact that you can do what he can't. And I couldn't think of another way to verbalize that.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I said this in the other thread, I think it's a direct response to the Comey memo. You have all these people putting this information out into the news cycle, and they understand that people are dumb enough to completely buy into it even if there's zero substance or evidence that it's true.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I said this in the other thread, I think it's a direct response to the Comey memo. You have all these people putting this information out into the news cycle, and they understand that people are dumb enough to completely buy into it even if there's zero substance or evidence that it's true.
I agree that people are dumb, and thus it may leave no choice but to get into the gutter. I think the extra emails Comey has uncovered are an example of something that probably has no substance, yet can make a huge impact, thus is wrong, whether it is a violation of the Hatch Act or not. Likewise, it is wrong for Reid to reveal things that could weigh the election in the other direction, but if Comey is not going to play fair, then I support fighting fire with fire. If Comey does have evidence of collusion with the Russians and Trump, as Reid implies, then that is far more critical than emails from Huma. On no planet should those be considered equivalent, and if Comey is withholding such evidence, then he should be in jail for manipulating this election. Based on their life's work, it is certainly much more believable that Trump has colluded and is a traitor than that Hillary is a traitor. Trump is like a multinational company with no allegiance to this country and only intends to profit regardless of the impact to the U.S, while Hillary is a like a U.S. company trying to produce for the U.S. and make money in the process. They both have self-interest, but only one also cares about America.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom