Harvard Soccer Team Season Cancelled over "Scouting Report" of Women's Team (1 Viewer)

People are so sick of this **** that they are willing to vote Trump as a "**** you."

So, Ward, your stance is that it's okay for a team being sponsored by a university to put forth something like this? With extremely crude language objectifying their fellow students? And not in passing conversation, but in a written document that presumably was widely available?

If it's not okay, and they were told to knock it off in 2012, and the practice continued unabated and even got worse, what should be the consequences, in your opinion?

I'm no prude, and there's no doubt these conversations happen a lot. When does it go too far? Do the women have any right to their personal dignity?

It's one thing to ogle and discuss and rate actresses or models, their occupation puts them out there and they understand that. I don't think these athletes should be treated this way, that's not a reasonable expectation of their participation in a college sports program.

here, let me mansplain it for you
if there was a ranking of the things we objectify about Jews or gays or african americans or mexicans, et al, then most of us would kind of get it
BUT
since the female form has a particular sexual power over us, we let that compromise our understanding of social/political power - we then see objectifying women in a similar way we see Dave Chappel or Chris Rock objectify white people
we don't understand that a woman will have to deal with this nonsense 10-20 times a day and how draining it can be
but really if a woman didn't want this treatment she should stop having boobs - we're the real victims here

People are so sick of this **** that they are willing to vote Trump as a "**** you."

if i wasn't forced to treat others as equal humans, i wouldn't have to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, anti-semetic, islamophobic, et al
i'm the real victim here

So, Ward, your stance is that it's okay for a team being sponsored by a university to put forth something like this? With extremely crude language objectifying their fellow students? And not in passing conversation, but in a written document that presumably was widely available?

If it's not okay, and they were told to knock it off in 2012, and the practice continued unabated and even got worse, what should be the consequences, in your opinion?

I'm no prude, and there's no doubt these conversations happen a lot. When does it go too far? Do the women have any right to their personal dignity?

It's one thing to ogle and discuss and rate actresses or models, their occupation puts them out there and they understand that. I don't think these athletes should be treated this way, that's not a reasonable expectation of their participation in a college sports program.

Did I actually make a stance? I was just questioning the reaction and how much information was out there to base that reaction. Perhaps the article did a bad job. Shouldn't we seek to understand? I'm ok with them losing their season, but I wanted to know why exactly. Where exactly do we place the line that was crossed?

Was this document widely available? I really do not, nor did know, which is why I'm asking questions.

These conversations, to some degree, happen often. Again, not knowing exactly what is or isn't in there, it's hard to say. But, talking about how hot women are.. or aren't... yes. All the time. Exhibit A, BTL.

Does any person have the right to personal dignity? What about a list of over weight people?

Do you think whoever created this meme thought about this person? Or maybe they created it themselves as a joke.

4ebe8143768a2ad2070d57edb0c7292aa0d8de870893ee9293986ad1ca8bafef.jpg

Do women do similar behavior objectifying men? What about Tinder?

You don't think 20 something college kids are hyper sexed up? I understand the point about protecting the young ladies from the type of objectifying that an actress, musician, etc would be exposed to, but this isn't on that level. This is a group of guys, from that school being sophomoric and probably stupid horny, going too far with something. This isn't some Facebook page accessed by thousands of non students violating these girls. This is people they likely know, being arses. This isn't people on Twitter online shaming or harassing non-celebrity people.

How many guys on the team in 2012 are on the team today? That's 4 years. Maybe a few Freshmen then are Seniors now? Should the Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors be as equally punished as the Seniors? Did they know what happened before they were a student there?

Me personally, I'd much rather see them do community service for the University. Rub their faces in it a bit. Have a little fun with it. It could be a good learning opportunity and a chance for dialogue. Instead, it becomes a chance for people to just entrench on their side of the fence, like every other damn thing lately.

The boys just wanted to park their cars in Havard (girls') yards.

Wow, Ward. You need to throw a few of your referee memes on yourself. :ezbill:

Didn't mean to hit a nerve, so let me explain. The loss of the season (they only had two games left) may or may not have been an over-reaction, but I highly doubt it was as simple as "hot or not". The article said the write ups were "extremely crude" and "offensive". The practice had continued without stop since at least 2012, it didn't only happen in 2012, and the article said it was widespread and the ratings were widely available as the women who were the subjects saw them.

From the initial report in the Crimson:

"The document and the entire email list the team used that season were, until recently, publicly available and searchable through Google Groups, an email list-serv service offered through Google."

I won't be detailing what was contained in the document but you can read some examples and generalities here. It's pretty bad. And keep in mind they did this for incoming freshman each year. Welcome to the Ivy League. :jpshakehead:

2012 Harvard Men

The article from the OP links to an op-ed that four of the women soccer players wrote for the Crimson. These four women were the subject of the write up in 2012, they are seniors now. Here is an excerpt from their editorial:

"Having considered members of this team our close friends for the past four years, we are beyond hurt to realize these individuals could encourage, silently observe, or participate in this kind of behavior, and for more than four years have neglected to apologize until this week.

We have seen the “scouting report” in its entirety. We know the fullest extent of its contents: the descriptions of our bodies, the numbers we were each assigned, and the comparison to each other and recruits in classes before us. This document attempts to pit us against one another, as if the judgment of a few men is sufficient to determine our worth. But, men, we know better than that. Eighteen years of soccer taught us that. Eighteen years—as successful, powerful, and undeniably brilliant female athletes - taught us that."

What about our God given right to be butt holes?

P.C. gone mad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom