NFL Has a team ever punted on anything other than 4th down? (1 Viewer)

PatronSaintofTheNFL

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just a random thought I had the other day and figured it's extremely unlikely — I couldn't imagine the circumstances unless the punter needed a record or something with time running out — but does anyone know if a team has ever punted on anything other than 4th down?

I remember seeing it years ago - the quick kick. Done most likely on 3rd down when the team is backed up deep. The purpose is to punt the ball unexpectedly so the team does not have anyone to receive the kick and can’t return it.
Haven’t seen it in many many years though.

I remember seeing it years ago - the quick kick. Done most likely on 3rd down when the team is backed up deep. The purpose is to punt the ball unexpectedly so the team does not have anyone to receive the kick and can’t return it.

Yep. Long-timers may remember that former Cowboys QB Danny White was also the team's regular punter. He executed a few quick kicks in the 80s.

Former Eagles QB Randall Cunningham was also a threat to pull the quick kick. It made a little more sense in a league without the modern (2000-2010s) passing / defensive coverage rules. Field position was somewhat more precious, plus you had plenty of coaches around who had come up as young players in the 1950s who still had that old-school mindset.

Cunningham & Brady. I could see a team doing it if it was 3rd and 30 or more.

Taysom Hill ?

I wonder if Taysom can punt? Would be interesting to see us line up on 4th down and something like 4 or 5 yards, A distance that's believable that we'd go for it, or seem like just trying to draw the defense offsides. The defense would be in position to stop a run or short pass, then Taysom boots it downfield with noone to field it.

I'm still not seeing the actual benefit of doing this. Trying to think of a scenario where you would punt on 3rd down. The only thing I can think of is like what GTSaint said in that you are backed up to your own 1 yard line and its a 3rd and 20+. In the case of the Patriots, not sure that was really necessary. Maybe just a "because we can" scenario. Just wanting to see Brady's punt game I guess lol.

A little off topic, but wasn't there a time when they allowed a FG try on 3rd down and another try on 4th if it was missed?

A little off topic, but wasn't there a time when they allowed a FG try on 3rd down and another try on 4th if it was missed?

I could be wrong and if so somebody please correct me, but I believe kicking a FG on 3rd down will only grant another try on 4th down if it was blocked.

I could be wrong and if so somebody please correct me, but I believe kicking a FG on 3rd down will only grant another try on 4th down if it was blocked.

I thought it was only in the case of a bad snap/hold (meaning, the holder catches and then goes to the ground with the recovery), but I, too, could be mistaken.

I also thought possession changes once the ball is kicked, so a block on 3rd would result in the ball going to the defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom