Has any of the Saints free agent signings [changed draft strategy?] (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Has any of the Saints free agent signings this year changed the thought process of who Payton and Loomis are going after in the first round?

Or could any of the free agent signings created a greater possibility they will trade their 1st round pick for additional draft picks?

I still believe, even after they picked up OT Jason Smith in free agency, that if one of the top 3 OT's drop to pick 15, they will pull the trigger and draft one at pick 15. That would give them several options going into the season.

Or if all the top three OT's are off the board and one of the top three OLB's are available, again, even though they picked up Butler, I believe they pull the trigger and get the LB.

Just curious to your thoughts?

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

No. I think it is a bpa regardless. Not irregardless, just regardless.

None of our offseason additions will stop us from drafting another player at that position. Mostly because all the positions we addressed needed more than one player

We did an excellent job filling the roster so we didn't have anything we specifically needed in the draft beyond depth. First rounder, if starting ready, will be a bonus

We did an excellent job filling the roster so we didn't have anything we specifically needed in the draft beyond depth. First rounder, if starting ready, will be a bonus

Speed rusher wasn't addressed.
Butler was a good signing, but more for depth than anything.
Gotta have the best speed rusher in the 1st.

One of the big three OT's like you mentioned may be first priority,
BPA would be the next option; it could end up being a coin flip choice
between Kenny Vaccarro, or one of the two WR's: Tavo Austin, Cordarrelle Paterson.

Maybe if Vaccaro isn't there and someone offers a 2nd for our spot to get one of the
two WR's at pick 15, we can end up with a Matt Elam or Eric Reed in the late first round
and we get our 2nd round pick back.

I think by signing Gallette to a long term deal, that position was addressed. OLB is not as big of a need as this board makes it out to be.

I think by signing Gallette to a long term deal, that position was addressed. OLB is not as big of a need as this board makes it out to be.
Hm, i don't know about that. gallette and wilson are huge interrogation marks. While we know how robinson and greer fare in man coverage, for instance, we know next to nothing of how gallette and wilson will do in a 3-4 as OLBs- Maybe they will do fine but what if they both suck?

I'm with you Izzy.

Butler wasn't our 1st choice...possibly was our 3rd. Paul Kruger was the guy we targeted.

Junior from what we payed him has potential...but u can tell he isn't viewed as THE PIECE...how can you? You don't know if he can be a Stand up OLB yet.

Insert Jamie Collins - Has the measurables/potential/production...and you don't have to predict whether he can play OLB.

Tackle is still a big question mark and the signing of Jason Smith was similar to the Butler signing. It makes it appear as though we sured up the position but in reality it was just about competition. Its still an area of concern...i can assure you that Bringing in Jason Smith has not allowed SP to sleep any better@ night

Insert Terron Armstead...in a perfect world.

We trade with SF for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th (Conference Rival Price Tag)

1 Terron Armstead- Instead of collins id take armstead because the ravens woh are behind us need an LT so hes in danger of being their pick.

2 Double back on day 2 of the draft and grab our man. Jamie Collns.

The top end of our draft will be a success in theory. Then its all about adding pieces to the puzzle from there.

I believe it will be BPA in every round. Wether it OT, OLB or NT. If OT is BPA in 1st rnd SP will pull the trigger. If all are gone and BPA is OLB or NT, whichever is left will probablly be the pick we get.

Hm, i don't know about that. gallette and wilson are huge interrogation marks. While we know how robinson and greer fare in man coverage, for instance, we know next to nothing of how gallette and wilson will do in a 3-4 as OLBs- Maybe they will do fine but what if they both suck?

The contract Gallette got is a starters contract. You don't pay a guy 12 mill to sit the bench. As of right now, its Junior's job to lose. He is penciled in as the starter on paper. At what point do the coaches take a step back and say ok, I think we have added enough solid players to this defense. Its time to see what they can do in a new scheme. I could make the argument for any position on the defense based on your logic. Will Jenkins and Harper do ok in the 3-4? What about ILB? Is Lofton and Vilma gonna be ok in the 34? At this point, our entire defense is a question mark. At some point we need to just go with what we have, have faith in those guys, and let them earn the big money that they are making. I'm not saying that we shouldn't take an OLB, all I'm saying is that I think we have set ourselves up nicely to be able to draft BPA no matter what position.

I think the coaching staff is happy with the players we have starting right now. They have set it up so in case the OLB prospect that we are targeting is not there, then we have confidence in Gallette as the starter. Of course if the BPA happens to be an OLB, then we will take him. But I think it has been set up to the point where we don't have to reach for one. We will take the BPA no matter what position.

We know even less about how a rookie will play that position in the NFL.

That's why you pick BPA.

the contract gallette got is a starters contract. You don't pay a guy 12 mill to sit the bench. As of right now, its junior's job to lose. He is penciled in as the starter on paper. At what point do the coaches take a step back and say ok, i think we have added enough solid players to this defense. Its time to see what they can do in a new scheme. I could make the argument for any position on the defense based on your logic. Will jenkins and harper do ok in the 3-4? What about ilb? Is lofton and vilma gonna be ok in the 34? At this point, our entire defense is a question mark. At some point we need to just go with what we have, have faith in those guys, and let them earn the big money that they are making. I'm not saying that we shouldn't take an olb, all i'm saying is that i think we have set ourselves up nicely to be able to draft bpa no matter what position.

I think the coaching staff is happy with the players we have starting right now. They have set it up so in case the olb prospect that we are targeting is not there, then we have confidence in gallette as the starter. Of course if the bpa happens to be an olb, then we will take him. But i think it has been set up to the point where we don't have to reach for one. We will take the bpa no matter what position.

this. ^

And you know what? I'm excited to see what Juneyah can do as a full time starter! Why does this board want to draft an OLB so bad, knowing that he will be trying to take Juneyah's job and then we have $12 million riding the bench! Give Juneyah a chance. Dude is a freak! Who Dat!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom