NFL Has any QB surpassed this Aaron Brooks stat (rushing & passing)? (2 Viewers)

Lamar Jackson has a decent shot this year. He also has a good shot to join Brooks in this category. He already has 3 games with
100+ yds rushing. All he needs is a 400 yd passing day. His best so far is 324 in the season opener against Miami.
That kid is a freak of nature.

A.B. was the first QB in NFL history to have 400+ yds passing (in a game) AND 100+ yds rushing (in a game)... in the SAME season.

Thinking of:

Steve Young
Michael Vick
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
... and others

Wondering: How many others have done it?

Sidebar: A.B. was one of the BEST at play action and misdirection fakes; he knew how to sell it!

:gosaints:

And don't forget, A.B. is the only QB to pass the ball backwards (in a game)... in the SAME season.

Good ole' AB. He was athletic and the king of the "broken play". Blake was really learning the offense and getting better into the reads and especially his "touch" on underneath routes, over LB's in 2nd tier and timing routes. (He was previously more one dimensional with one ball velocity, hard. He oddly had a beautiful deep ball though.) After injured, AB teamed up with Willie Jackson for 1000 yds on mostly broken plays. Our road to the playoffs was built on riding Deuce to an early grave (3rd and long with draw plays up the middle he WOULD convert...lol), Horn getting smashed jumping for badly thrown balls in middle of the field on 3rd downs (while running proper routes) and AB and WJ playing streetball, as well as a non sexy but stout defense, especially the line. As McCarthy believed his own hype and thought his scheme was most amazing, ground breaking offense ever created, he preached lack of execution for times of lack of production. He never schemed for strength/weakness of his personnel. McCarthy let AB streetball and use his athleticism, then tried to make him a pocket passer, playing against his strengths. He eventually added more verbiage and tried to instill the 2 TE/NO FB offense that was canned late in the season and stifled even more progress for the entire offense. He finally had to "dumb down" the calls and verbiage since AB was having trouble just getting the play CALLED in the huddle and the team was having trouble even knowing the plays.

AB was never my fave QB but have some good games and highlights from that time. I blame McCarthy, overrated coach and coordinator, for not assisting in AB's growth as a QB. Willie Jackson was a 1000 yd WR with playoff experience and was a bug on the windshield after the Saints...there is a reason. Streetball stats.

If the offense was molded around strong run game and keeping the game manageable within his skill and mental ranges, he could have gained confidence and we might have achieved legit offensive consistency and productivity...not players achieving in SPITE of McCarthy's playcalling. That could have a special offense. Brooks was psychologically beat from McCarthy's tenure as OC. (One man's opinion who watched and studied all of those games and longtime football player/coach with semi-pro experience).

I never cared for AB as a football player, (I think he is a phenomenal business entrepreneur and philanthropist) but after reading your take on the AB era, I have a whole new outlook of him. Thanks for your input. Really sound.

Its unpopular but a fact Brooks is the 2nd best Saints QB. His numbers are better then Archies. His downfall was his bad timing. He would make great plays and then crazy turnovers. I thought payton would have atleast gave him one year as a backup

I have no AB hate at all, but he was not better than Archie Manning. When you compare the numbers in the context of their own eras, Manning's look a lot better, and on the best day he ever had, AB was not going to sniff NFC Player of the Year or lead the league in total offense.

I have no AB hate at all, but he was not better than Archie Manning. When you compare the numbers in the context of their own eras, Manning's look a lot better, and on the best day he ever had, AB was not going to sniff NFC Player of the Year or lead the league in total offense.
That's nostalgia man. We had some mediocre teams 2001-2005. They weren't historically bad but bad none the less. Sure if Archie had better talent at wr he would have gotten better stats. If Brooks had better OL and a defense he wouldn't have to try risky plays all the time.

People tend to forget that Terry Allen was the 3rd-stringer and Willie Jackson was the only receiving weapon. Chad Morton didn't have his breakout game till the following week. Robert Wilson was playing with one hand. It all fell apart the next season, but for one brief moment, AB brought hope to Saints fans. It's easy to look at it from the perspective of the incredible success of Payton's tenure, but to that point, that was an amazing season.
I remember that 2000 season like yesterday. My dawg Kenny said to me I believe in the SAINTS. He knew I was true blue Saints fan. I wore the team colors when they were horrible. I even wore khaki pants and a black T-shirt a lot.
I'll never forget that Ram playoff game it was awesome and epic. In that moment we were at the top of football world as far as I was concerned. Sure they got crushed in Minny the next week but that season will forever be special to me.

If Brooks had a good QB oriented coach, he could have been great. Someone should have made him shoot hoops with the football until he learned touch.
Yup. If you needed a 50-yard pass that never went above 10 feet, AB was your man. That long wind-up led to some incredible velocity.

That's nostalgia man. We had some mediocre teams 2001-2005. They weren't historically bad but bad none the less. Sure if Archie had better talent at wr he would have gotten better stats. If Brooks had better OL and a defense he wouldn't have to try risky plays all the time.

AB actually had a pretty decent OL, the only legacy Ditka left were a decent OL and DL. And he was a good QB for Joe Horn, who made the Pro Bowl what, four times?

It was what it was. Our problems ran deeper than AB. Haslett was not the guy to get us over the hump.

Brooks was a lot of things as an NFL starting QB, but what I remember most was that he always had New Orleans and its fans' backs. He was a good guy who everyone in the locker room liked. People (many who were bigoted racists if we're being honest) hated him for silly stuff like "he smiled when he threw interceptions." He had a positive attitude and he was a clutch QB late in games. He had heart.

I don't think he ever truly lived up to his full potential, because at times he looked like the greatest to ever play. He did have ball handling issues which often drew the ire of the fanbase with the famed "brooksies". He wasn't perfect but he did deliver us our franchise's first playoff win, and we were always dangerous while he was here until Katrina. He was on the team that was the bridge from terrible to great.

I think very highly of Aaron Brooks because he was a great person by all accounts, and he brought a level of excitement that we really hadn't had up to that point as Saints fans.

Your memory needs to improve.

On a day we didn't have it going, when Terry Allen rushed for 21 yards on 16 carries and we lost Joe Horn in the first quarter, Brooks put up a 111.5 passer rating while running for his life and throwing to a bunch of journeymen, and quite successfully -- two sacks, but 10 carries for 26 yards -- he was flushed a lot but continued to make plays.

The defending Super Bowl champs came in angry as hell and bent on revenge, and he threw four TD passes to a bunch of nobodies with no help on offense. Yes, the D did a great job on Faulk in the running game (although he had 99 yards receiving), and our DL got pressure on the vastly overrated Kurt Warner and forced some picks, but Brooks carried us that day, and I'm sorry that bothers you. All I can really remember about that game was crying tears of joy and thinking about the folks who were no longer around to enjoy it with us after all that losing.

But you keep on keeping on with whatever else you got going on there.

Thanks for this. I'll also add, on that day AB had a yards-per-pass attempt (YPA) of 9.17, which is really freaking good. Folks didn't talk about YPA back then, but today we know it's a hugely telling statistic on how well a QB is playing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom